Easy recipes for camping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Mommas,

I am in search of a few tasty ideas and inspiration for our upcoming camping trip - lunch, dinner or b'fast. We will have a cooler. Will greens last in it? (I am a salad lover). Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 06-19-2008, 11:27 PM

Hello!

I like to use this site

Chuckwagon diner.

It has some good stuff. Have fun!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#3 of 4 Old 06-21-2008, 02:15 PM

What cooking methods do you have access to? What cooking tools will you be able to take with?
#4 of 4 Old 06-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Since you are taking a cooler, I will assume you are car camping. I have not figured out how to get away from zip lock bags for camping yet. We also boat camp... we spend 90% of our day playing pretty hard out on the water, hiking the trails. This looks like TONS of food, but it is not that much for our family of 5 plus my 17 year old cousin and his friend... who we always take on these trips.

Our basic camping foods for a week. Freeze your entrees.. that way there will be less room wasted in your cooler.

dinners... in reverse order of eating.
Grilled chicken and fried zucchini (we use thighs) in teriyaki.. whatever you like.. I make it zip it together and freeze. chop the zuc and zip together with a 1/2 stick of sliced butter.. all ready to dump in pan, can be cooked over the fire.. burnt is good..
Chili, premade and frozen served with salad and cast iron cornbread cooked over the fire.
Spaghetti and salad.. make your sauce and freeze it, bring pasta uncooked and cook it on either your camp stove or the fire pit. (some people put the sauce and pasta together... I have a LO that will not eat it all mixed up.)
taco salad... usually done from raw turkey, fritos (hey it is the only time I eat fritos) kidney beans, onion, and seasoning..fry it all up, and make a green salad... dressing is green chili sauce and sour cream. (this is my favorite dinner out camping, and you can cook the protein up ahead and freeze)
Grilled chicken this time marinade in bernstein's Italian dressing and frozen.
Steak and salad easy peasy...
and of course one night of hot dogs...:

Lunches are generally pb and Js by the end of the week,bagels and cream cheese and deli meats and cheese in the first part. Celery and Peanut butter, carrots and ranch...

breakfast every morning, cowboy up!

pre boil about five pounds of red potatoes... cool and chunk them up. portion them out 2 breakfasts at a time in a ziplock.
chop two sweet onion, portion out and add to zip with potatoes
FREEZE the onion and pots.. add green peppers, chilies, zuc, or not to the potato and onion.

chop bacon or sausage and freeze in daily portions.

Eggs... about 5 dozen eggs lasts us a week.

Fry the breakfast meat till cooked, add pot and onion, cook until onions are done, add eggs (usually 10) Top with shredded cheese or not.

Fruit, we usually go through a watermelon and a cantaloupe a day, I bring 10 mangoes...and they get eaten. Whatever fruit you want.

Of course chips,cookies, water, soda, beer, wine, juice....

I start meal prep for our camping trips in the month before we leave... that way the costs are spread out a bit more.

I just looked at everything we eat out camping... no wonder my kids love these trips.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page