Seasonal/ farmers Market meal plan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just checking in to see if anyone else if trying to plan their menu around what is in season and at the farmers market.

can you share?
how do you make it work?

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 10:56 AM

I do this. For several reasons, this year, I decided not to do a CSA. Instead, we go to the farmers' market on Saturday mornings. I buy whatever looks pretty, in about the same quantities as the CSA members get (so it's enough to last us a week or so). Then, on the way home, I start thinking of ways to cook the bounty that we get.

Sometimes, I grocery shop at the store on Saturday afternoons, after I make a menu. Sometimes, I grocery shop on Fridays, buying only staples, and planning simple meals for the week, with lots of room for the veggies. Stuff like "grilled chicken, two grilled veggies, and a fruit". Then, I fill in with whatever we got from the farmers' market. On those weeks, I know that there will be more stray stuff leftover, so I plan on having a frittata or soup late in the week to use up any stragglers.

This was my favorite recipe last week. IT's a frittata with chard, basil, and tomatoes. http://www.greensgrow.org/recipes/4.21.html
Old 06-27-2008, 11:14 AM

I do. I go grocery shopping and meal plan after my CSA pick-up.

Last night was pork chops and a big tomato/fresh mozzerella salad.

The spinach will be made into chicken florentine (with a green salad on the side with the bunches of lettuce I got)

The zucchini will be shredded into the turkey meat sauce we're having on
Sunday with spelt thin spaghetti. Green salad with that too.

The chard went into the big pot of chicken soup I made (lunches for today through the weekend.)

Strawberries and sugar snap peas for snacking.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:41 PM

want to do this! Subbing for ideas!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 AM

I do this too. Every Saturday we get our CSA stuff, and then I brainstorm a bit and buy a week's worth of groceries to go with them on Sundays.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:04 AM

We shop at Whole Foods once a month and try to stay stocked with the basics (lots of cheese mostly) and then order from a natural foods coop. We shop at the Farmer's Market every Saturday and after I shop I plan my meals for the week. It's a little harder but manageable.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 PM

We have a CSA. Tomorrow we will be getting lettuce, sugar snap peas, Swiss chard, green onions, and arugala.

Please share your recipes. This is our third time getting chard and I still don't know what to do with it. The last time I made roasted potatoes and added it at the end until it started to wilt. It was okay. I'd like something really good to do with it.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

mmmm chard
this is one of our very favorite eggs in a nest by
barbara kingsolver
http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.co...20A%20NEST.pdf

i also tried chard and cilantro soup this year from the local flavors cook book. it has recipes put together by season and when them become ripe. ichecked it out from the library but it has been invaluable
http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/...7903498_1.html

she also had a great recipe that was basically just red beans (i used pinto and it was good) chopped chard onions cilantro some tyme and bay leaf and feta on top. we ate it with crusty bread and it was yumm.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Old 07-02-2008, 03:54 PM

I get produce delivered on Tuesdays, but get a list of what to expect on Fridays. I plan meals based on the Friday list, then after I get my delivery Tuesday I get what groceries I need to go with it. (I wait until after delivery to make sure there were no substitutions.) If there's something on the list I don't know what to do with, I just google for recipe ideas.

This week we got tons of fruit, so that's mostly just getting snacked on. Watermelon, canteloupe, peaches, blueberries YUM. Zucchini is lunch today (with cherry tomatoes). Eggplant will be in E. parmesan tonight, along with most of the basil. May use up some more basil and a tomato to make bruschetta. Used a tomato for a grilled cheese/tomato/basil sandwich yesterday. The small head of lettice, sprouts, cherry tomatoes, cucumber will be side salads for Thursday and Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
We have a CSA. Tomorrow we will be getting lettuce, sugar snap peas, Swiss chard, green onions, and arugala.

Please share your recipes. This is our third time getting chard and I still don't know what to do with it. The last time I made roasted potatoes and added it at the end until it started to wilt. It was okay. I'd like something really good to do with it.
I like chard in quiche with cheese and cherry tomatoes, or just sauteed with tons of garlic, a little red pepper, salt, pepper and olive oil. You could also throw the chard, snap peas and green onions in a stirfry.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 PM

I do this--we buy all our produce and animal foods locally and often at the farmers market. I posted my meal plan here. Our cherries just came into season and I am beyond thrilled.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:20 PM

Here's what I got this week: lettuce mix/lettuce, salad turnips, beet greens, garlic scrapes, tomatoes, cabbage (green) and peas (in the shell.)

Someone please meal plan this week for me - please???:

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama View Post
Someone please meal plan this week for me - please???:
What else do you have in your cupboards? Initially, I'm thinking you could do greens with garlic scapes, tomato salads, and maybe peas with parsley.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:43 PM

I'm an omnivore and going grocery shopping tomorrow - so anything is game.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 PM

We just got our box and this week we got (we share so this is the part I kept) sugar snap peas, mixed lettuces, brocolli and this thing. I have no idea what it is!

For zucchini something fun to do is to put it in an egg and milk dip and then roll it in half bread crumbs half parmesan and then bake till crispy. Dip in marinara like mozerella sticks.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:08 AM

Starting to plan...

Tonight - Chicken w/ garlic scapes and capers; peas (I'm just going to cook them simply)

Lunch tomorrow - Crunchy cabbage salad w/ chicken

Dinner out

Saturday lunch - chicken soup and put the beet greens in that...

Saturday night - Pasta w/ garlic scape pesto

Old 07-03-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
We just got our box and this week we got (we share so this is the part I kept) sugar snap peas, mixed lettuces, brocolli and this thing. I have no idea what it is!
looks like kohlrabi!
Old 07-05-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:

For zucchini something fun to do is to put it in an egg and milk dip and then roll it in half bread crumbs half parmesan and then bake till crispy. Dip in marinara like mozerella sticks.

That's exactly the same thing I thought the first time I got one! Yeah, kohlrabi. Still haven't ever quite figured out what to do with them, though. I've seen recipes out there, I think.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:44 AM

One of my favorite things to do with chard, kale, spinach, whichever type of greens:

Ghop garlic to taste, I usually do 4-5 cloves, sautee lightly in olive oil, add chopped greens, wilt. Add a can of rinsed canellini beans, and a can of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes. Heat through.

SO quick and easy, takes no time at all. Serve with a salad and crusty bread! I usually will go for balsamic & oo on my salad and the greens are good if a bit of the balsamic mixes in, too:
Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 PM

We also have a CSA in utah all we have so far is greens, three weeks of greens and i am saladed out. I can wait til we have tomatoes and squash and peppers. but anyways back on topic. We have a hard time planning during the summer as it is. there are always so many things going on.

we shop every other Saturday at the grocery, getting milk in between ans get our CSA box on Tuesdays so it is hard to plan ahead cause we never know what is in that box. I have pretty much thrown the planning out, which makes it hard for DH cause there are rarely leftovers for his lunches.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 PM

I'm sick of salad too...I love veggies, but I'm getting a bit sick of lettuces...

Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Swiss Chard: Our favorite recipe for it is this really yummy salad, originally from Cooking Light (I think).

Swiss Chard with Pine Nuts and Raisins
1 pound trimmed Swiss Chard
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 t extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t salt
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c golden raisins
2 T pine nuts

Slice the chard leaves crossways into thin strips; place in a large bowl. Combine juice, oil, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle juice mixture over chard; toss to coat. Add raisins and pine nuts; toss to combine. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. 4 servings

Because I eat locally, I would probably substitute chopped pecans in place of the pine nuts now, but have yet to try it. Hope you like this!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Just picked up my stuff!!:

I got: tomatoes, new potatoes, swiss chard, parsley, 2 bags of lettuce (mixed and green) and garlic.

Tonight (already planned - side was pending) : roasted salmon w/ boiled new potatoes (a bit of the parsley, sea salt and butter) and roasted broccolo (already had that in the fridge.)

Thoughts (not yet a plan - so I'd LOVE input) for the week:

A tomato salad (using some of the parsely) - what to pair it with? I'll have more tomatoes left so I'll need something else to do with them.

A potato salad (using a bit more of the parsely and the rest of the potatoes) - not sure what to eat with that either...

Some green salads here and there...

The swiss chard - leaves in a chicken soup I'll make - stems in a stir fry.

I'd love any input about pulling this together - main dishes to serve with the sides I'm pairing, etc.

Maybe a pesto if I have enough parsely?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 PM

We get a big CSA share every tuesday, and go to the farmer's market on thursdays.
The CSA has their own recipe book, and I have a farmer's market cookbook (Gourmet's Fresh) that I love.

Just finished a dinner of:
- roasted local red potatoes
- raw snap peas
- bean salad with lots of fresh scallion
- mixed berries (strawberries, red/black/gold raspberries, blueberries)

Lunch was:
- leftover pasta with zucchini
- salad
- sauteed kale & chard with garlic & garlic scapes

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 AM

Oh, I love pasta with zuchinni. Yum. We might have that for lunch.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM

what a great thread and such great ideas & recipes!

yum! :

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 AM

Yep, that mystery veggie is a kohlrabi.

We've been getting them in our share, too. I have been either using them in soups (like a turnip or parsnip), or peeling them and chopping them for salads (raw).

I'd love any other suggestions!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
Yep, that mystery veggie is a kohlrabi.

We've been getting them in our share, too. I have been either using them in soups (like a turnip or parsnip), or peeling them and chopping them for salads (raw).

I'd love any other suggestions!
Kohlrabi is GREAT stir fried w/ garlic & ginger. It was a mystery vegetable for our CSA last year & I loved it. Never had it before
:
Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but there is a book called Simply In Season and is a great resource for what is usualy in season and great recipes to go with that I would check it out. I really like it!

User Tag List