Can I freeze a uncooked quiche that calls for heavy cream? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a quiche recipe we all love, but want to freeze it uncooked, is this possible?
Here's the recipe:

Low-Carb Spinach Quiche
2 Tbsp onion, chopped
3 Tbsp butter, divided
2 packages frozen spinach, thawed
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Melt 2 Tbsp butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute for a few minutes until they begin to get limp. Squeeze as much water as possible out of the spinach and add spinach to skillet. Continue cooking until the spinach is heated through and any extra water has evaporated.
In the meantime, beat the eggs lightly. Add cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine. Add spinach onion mixture to egg mixture and stir to combine. Pour into greased 9-inch pie pan. Top with shredded cheese and dot with remaining 1 Tbsp butter.
Bake for 25-30 min at 375 degrees, or until set and golden brown.

I'd like to mix the whole thing and freeze it in 3 or 4 smaller portions that can then be thawed in the fridge overnight and popped into the oven in the morning. Do you think it's possible? Any ideas or suggestions would be great (cooking, then freezing and reheating in a microwave is not an option since we've chosen not to have a microwave)
#2 of 2 Old 07-10-2008, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, you can definitely freeze this. I've done it with a quiche recipe that had both shredded cheese and heavy cream, similar to what you have. I let the mixture defrost overnight in the fridge, then pour into a cast iron skillet and bake at 375 for half an hour or so, until set in the center. Mine didn't have spinach, but it did have onions, potatoes and asparagus. I cooked the potatoes and asparagus first but I did not cook the onions, and it turned out fine. I would definitely cook the spinach before freezing as directed to remove the excess liquid, though. Something like this should last about three months in the freezer. Good luck!

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page