Summer suppers for those really hot days! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-24-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If this topic has been addressed before, I'd love to see a link.

But if not... what are some of your ideas for supper when you've been out in the sun all day and can't even stand the thought of turning on the oven or stove because you'll just melt.

I read an article in a magazine recently about this and wasn't really into many of the suggestions - just different variations of salads that I know my kids won't eat. Not that I have anything against salad, but it doesn't cut it when we're talking about my husband and kids. The one suggestion that I thought sounded somewhat doable was tuna salad served in a hollowed-out tomato - which I'm sure chicken salad would also work really well for that.

Any other ideas? Maybe some summer crock pot meals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-24-2008, 07:17 PM

I have to say my kids dont like salads so i have to turn the oven on. The only really no cook dinners are
salmon sandwhiches
cheese & crackers & fruit
:
#3 of 7 Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 AM

Look in the regular N&GE forum, there was a warm-weather meal thread not long ago (and a search would bring up more). We do lots of nibbly-type meals in the summer: cold veggie salads (like cucumber/tomato salad), pasta or potato salads, sliced tomatoes, plain corn on the cob, steamed green beans w/vinaigrette, etc. Hardboiled or deviled eggs. Cheeses and bread or crackers. Fruit salads, green salads for DP and me. Dips (bean dip, salsa, hummus, ranch w/veggies, etc.) are nice too. Or a fancy salad like cobb or nicoise. Cold chicken is nice (maybe grill extra?). I also sometimes cook things early in the AM before it gets too too hot, and then microwave it later.

HTH!
#4 of 7 Old 07-29-2008, 03:29 AM

The crock pot is your friend when it's hot, too!!
Also, cold gazpacho in shot glasses is a yummy treat
Fruit and chicken kabobs, with cold grilled chicken
Quesedillas on the grill
cold Quinoa salad or tabouleh
#5 of 7 Old 07-29-2008, 04:33 PM

Well I do crock pot ribs, which are super good. I don't really have a recipe, but I usually use, country pork ribs, bbq sauce, maybe some raspberry or blackberry jam, a little chipotle spice mix(made by my neighbor) s&p. I brown the ribs, chop some onion, and put all the sauce ingredients in the pot on low for 6 hours or so. Comes out great.

I also have done pork chops with potatoes with mushroom gravy, that's really good too.

I cook a bunch of chicken or steaks so I have extra to make stir fry, that way I only turn on the BBQ once and can get 2-3 meals out of a huge pack of chicken or beef. I make Chicken Caesar or Cobb Salad, wraps, fajitas. A little longer prep the first time and then super easy meals after that. HTH.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#6 of 7 Old 07-29-2008, 04:58 PM

It is super hot this week, so I made some meatballs and threw them uncooked in a crockpot with spaghetti sauce for some meatball subs. I'll make a salad for the side!
#7 of 7 Old 08-05-2008, 02:59 AM

My mom would cut up cold ham slices, cantalope and cottage cheese. I usually make sandwiches or BBQ something.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page