Vegetarian Meal planning - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 11-20-2008, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We love to do veggie burritos. I use a mix of zuch, mushrooms, onion & peppers. Sautee in EVOO til soft. Then add chili powder or taco seasoning, cumin & garlic. They are great in burritos or over rice or potatoes.

I also make what we call egg pie. I guess it is like a fritatta. Eggs, cheese, a little milk & whatever veggies you have.

I don't like to cook much either anymore so I am happy to see the other suggestios here.

ETA: I also like to make crock pot chili w/ whatever veggeis I have around. Usually it is some mix of black beans, lentils, tvp, pinto beans, canned tomatoes, corn, sweet potato, onion, zuchini, peppers (and whatever else I ahve that sounds good) & seasoning. I always fill my cp so I have plenty to freeze too.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#32 of 37 Old 11-20-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMama2007 View Post
We make pizza once a week - dough is super easy to make yourself and worth it. I recommend Bittman's recipe in How To Cook Everything Vegetarian - it rises while you get the other ingredients ready and takes the least time I've seen for dough.
Could you post that recipe, or pm me w/ it if it can't be posted here. I've gotten that book from the library a few times, & I it. Maybe for xmas I'll get it.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#33 of 37 Old 11-20-2008, 08:18 PM

Dh and I usually make up a big batch of Spanish rice and refried beans, then buy a bulk bag of ww tortillas (when we don't make our own). We make about 20 burritos adding cheese and salsa. Then we put them on cookie sheets and freeze. Toss them in a freezer bag and reheat for a quick dinner. We add sour cream and veggies, along with a homemade pepper relish when we reheat them, and it's a real life saver on busy days!

We also make lasagna roll-ups, something I "borrowed" from another mama in my DDC. Boil the noodles and make up your riccota cheese mix (we add tofu or TVP for extra protein). Take each noodle, spoon a chunk of cheese mix onto one end and roll it up like a jelly roll. Place on a cookie sheet, freeze until solid. When you want one, take it out, put in casserole dish, add sauce and some grated cheese on top, bake until hot. Easiest way to make lasagna ever!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#34 of 37 Old 11-22-2008, 07:11 PM

We keep it very simple, do a rotation each week:

Monday: Egg dish (usually frittata) with salad
Tuesday: Rice-based dish (find one online each week)
Wednesday: Chili
Thursday: Pasta night
Friday: Burrito
Saturday: you're on your own
Sunday: Indian (usually channa masala or a spinach dish)

Actually now that I've written it out it looks like a kid's menu LOL. (We're two grownups with an infant). But it works for us.
#35 of 37 Old 02-11-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post
Dh and I usually make up a big batch of Spanish rice and refried beans, then buy a bulk bag of ww tortillas (when we don't make our own). We make about 20 burritos adding cheese and salsa. Then we put them on cookie sheets and freeze. Toss them in a freezer bag and reheat for a quick dinner. We add sour cream and veggies, along with a homemade pepper relish when we reheat them, and it's a real life saver on busy days!

We also make lasagna roll-ups, something I "borrowed" from another mama in my DDC. Boil the noodles and make up your riccota cheese mix (we add tofu or TVP for extra protein). Take each noodle, spoon a chunk of cheese mix onto one end and roll it up like a jelly roll. Place on a cookie sheet, freeze until solid. When you want one, take it out, put in casserole dish, add sauce and some grated cheese on top, bake until hot. Easiest way to make lasagna ever!
I Love these ideas!! THank you for sharing!
I LOVE these ideas! T

Kim, wife to my best friend and high school sweetheart. :
Mom to DD1 (2/06) : and DD2 (6/09) :
#36 of 37 Old 02-11-2009, 01:04 AM

I've made a master list of our dinners and then we do our Meal Plan on Friday evening. Then shop Sat. We generally dont do sides. And never do dessert. Here is our master list:

Taco bar
Pizza
Mac & cheese
burritos
soy riblets and mashed potatos
Grilled cheese sandwhiches
Pasta (spaghetti, tortellini, ravioli, alfredo)
Spaghetti pie (made with leftover spaghetti. Recipe found in deceptively delicious)
Fajitas
quiche
stirfry
baked potato bar
veggie hot dogs
veggie burgers
chili
shepherds pie
curry
bean quesadillas (www.allrecipes.com)
mock tuna salad (www.allrecipes.com)
Mexican casserole (I'll try to get the recipe posted up. We LOVE this one).
Nachos
Soup & salad

HTH others.

Kim, wife to my best friend and high school sweetheart. :
Mom to DD1 (2/06) : and DD2 (6/09) :
#37 of 37 Old 02-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Does that taco thing work with somone that cannot have cheese. I am lactose intolerant too. I am trying to go completly vegan because of it. Although I have found that most vegan/vegetarian meals have lots of cheese in them.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page