Vegetarian Meal planning - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a rough time finding vegetarian meal plans.
I tried to do a search, but AFAIK there isnt a veggie MPing thread. :

So, our family is def feeling the crunch of the economy, I have made a resolution to plan all our meals and THEN do the grocery shopping. Now I need some ideas on what to plan for. Usually we eat mac and cheese, stir fry, and spaghetti. : Oh and did I mention I hate to cook? This is going to be tough.
#2 of 37 Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 PM

burritos are always good. Cook up a double batch of brown rice to use for your stir fry day then use left overs to mix with stuff for burritos. Good additions are black beans or Morning Star Farms veggie crumbles, then add some sauteed veggies, cheese, sour cream & salsa. Mmmmm
#3 of 37 Old 08-07-2008, 06:32 PM

One of our favorite easy cheap meals is a big pot of bean soup. We get a bag of 16 bean soup mix at the store (sometimes comes with a packet of "chicken flavor"- throw that out :P). Saute some onions and garlic in olive oil, toss that in a big pot of water with the beans, throw in some carrots and potatoes, and ignore it for a few hours. Viola, dinner/lunch for a few days!
#4 of 37 Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 AM

I found a recipe for a Crock Pot that might interest you. It is called Double Thick Potato Cheese Soup.

Here is the link to the recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/255544
#5 of 37 Old 09-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Bumping because all of those moved threads are distracting!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#6 of 37 Old 09-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Some of our favorites: quesadillas, any kind of pasta, bean dip, beans and rice in pitas, stir fry, and eggrolls. Hope that gives you some new ideas.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#7 of 37 Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 AM

bump

I need to start meal planning.....

love all these ideals......

anymore???? :
#8 of 37 Old 09-19-2008, 02:28 PM

i love to do chili one night, and then make some spag noodles the next night and have "skyline" (like in cincinatti). top the noodles with chili, shredded cheddar, onions and sour cream. it's soooo good!!!

another easy one is to make a huge batch of spag. sauce, and then freeze extra. you can make calzones (we like spinach artichoke ones) and use the sauce to dip them in. i like calzones better than pizza b/c you get a lot more veggies in them.

i'll be watching for everyone else's good meal planning ideas.
#9 of 37 Old 09-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Lentil soup -- make enough to freeze.
Minestrone
curry
various pastas
fritatta
burritos
breakfast for dinner

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#10 of 37 Old 10-07-2008, 03:04 AM

I'm in! I really need to learn how to meal plan and then start doing it! I'm a vegetarian and even though the non-veggie meal planning threads will give me some great tips I don't want to read about how I can stretch a roast into soup! lol

I eat a lot of pasta! Pasta with cheese,pasta with sauce (normally from a jar) perogies and sour cream,and pasta with butter. I throw in a few veggies when I think about it!

I do love things like burittos,tacos,casaroles,and stir frys but I just never make the time to make them! I like having things in the fridge and ready to heat and the easiest thing to make is pasta when I get home. I'm getting so bored of that though and have wasted to much food so am ready to start meal planning!

In 2 weeks I should get my first "real" paycheck from my new job and then I can stock up on some basics. I'm not counting my first check since it was only $6.78! LOL
#11 of 37 Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 AM

I'm not vegetarian but we limit our meat intake so I'd love to learn and share vegetarian meal ideas.

A few things my family enjoys-
cheese and spinach mannicotti or lasagna

soups- Fassolatha (makes a lot for my family to freeze or eat as leftovers)

slow cooker refried beans, cheese and tortillas w/Spanish rice

cheese ravioli, salad, garlic bread

pancakes or waffles

vegetarian Moussaka

tomato bean salad- similar to this

sauteed broccoli, mushrooms, garlic and rosemary with rice- very easy... I use wild rice but it would probably be good with other rice. I was thinking it might also be tasty with almonds. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...asp?recipe=347

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#12 of 37 Old 10-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The best "system" that I have found is to make a soup, a batch of mixed grains (millet, barley and anything else fun I find at the natural store) and a big salad every weekend. This not only gets me through lunch-crunches when there are no leftovers, but I can make dinners out of them if I run out of time to cook. You can use the grains for fried rice, stir-fry, etc. If there is nothing quick and ready to eat in the fridge I tend to go for crap, so this system has worked well for us and it isn't too much effort on a Sunday.
#13 of 37 Old 10-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSimplicity View Post
I found a recipe for a Crock Pot that might interest you. It is called Double Thick Potato Cheese Soup.

Here is the link to the recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/255544
This is a soup that I could enjoy for sure! I don't have a crock pot though: I think I could make it on the stove in a regular pot though and maybe cook the potatoes first or just set the heat higher or something!

Oh wow! I can't wait to try this!
#14 of 37 Old 10-09-2008, 02:42 PM

I've been finding that 3 or 4 homemade meals a week is about as much as I can do. By homemade I mean cooking right up to the point of serving, I know this is not the right word, I'm just hungry and braindead right now. sorry.

Anyway, I made a little spreadsheet that covers every day of the week, and 3 meals and 3 snacks. I don't necessarily eat them all, but I do plan them, and have the ingredients available so that I don't go for crap.

For dinners this week:
M=lentil daal and naan,
T=burritos
W=sloppy steves w/avo & tomato salad,
Th = hashbrown, zucchini and spinach casserole and apple pie for kids, out to dinner for me and dh (today I fast because of the Jewish holiday, so a nice way to get a date lol!)
F=crock pot moroccan stew w/rice,
Sat = dh's turn to cook,
Sun = spaghetti and unmeat-balls with garden salad.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#15 of 37 Old 10-11-2008, 01:37 AM

mamabeca What are Sloppy Steves?

I bought most of what I need for the soup,but can anyone tell me how many potatoes will equal 2 pounds?

Another good way to stretch chili is to poor it over rice the next day or even mach and cheese or plain pasta with a little grated cheese on top.

I was thinking of making some rice this weekend and stirring in some black beans and salsa and eating that with some shredded cheese over it slightly melted. You could also add corn if you had it. If there were left overs it could be rolled in to a burrito with some fresh avocado and sour cream!
#16 of 37 Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 AM

I found a great lentil stew recipe on epicurious. I took 1/2 pound of lentils, lots of veggie stock with garlic, ginger, and onions and fresh tomatoes. I added gobs of carrots and cumin, tumeric, and curry and then more curry. Frozen peas and cilantro. It took a little while to cook, primarily because I had such big chunks of carrots in it. But we will eat this for a long time. It's so delicious.

I'm really proud of myself because I've been using the frugal mama challenge to eat out of your pantries instead of buying more and more and more and more groceries. It used up some lentils and some of the jumbo bag of carrots I just bought. It's a pretty cheap, very nutritious meal.
#17 of 37 Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca View Post
Th = hashbrown, zucchini and spinach casserole
How do you make this? I don't have any casserole recipes. Thanks
#18 of 37 Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
mamabeca
I bought most of what I need for the soup,but can anyone tell me how many potatoes will equal 2 pounds?
3-4 medium potatoes.

Purple Cat- That lentil stew sounds good. I think I'll try it because we have a bunch of lentils.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#19 of 37 Old 10-17-2008, 10:19 PM

I need to get better at meal planning as well. We eat mostly vegan. I used to be so good about dinners, but that was before my kids were older and busier! Now we have stuff going on and it's really hard to muster up the energy or find the time to make good, healthy meals. I'm going to start trying harder though!
#20 of 37 Old 10-19-2008, 12:42 PM

Does anyone have a recipe for mushroom chili? I made it years ago but lost the recipe.
#21 of 37 Old 10-19-2008, 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=mamabeca;12351357]
W=sloppy steves w/avo & tomato salad,
Th = hashbrown, zucchini and spinach casserole and apple pie for kids, out to dinner for me and dh (today I fast because of the Jewish holiday, so a nice way to get a date lol!)

mamabeca-what are sloppy steves?
also do you have a recipe for the hashbrown, zucchini and spinach casserole? would love to try that!
#22 of 37 Old 10-19-2008, 05:24 PM

I make a really yummy super easy potato veggie soup
Burritos super easy to make jus get some cans of black beans, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tortillas. and bam there you go.

barbecued Tofu with some kind of vegetable and maybe mashed potatoes

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#23 of 37 Old 10-24-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
also do you have a recipe for the hashbrown, zucchini and spinach casserole? would love to try that!
I would LOVE to try these as well ::

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#24 of 37 Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronsMommy View Post
The best "system" that I have found is to make a soup, a batch of mixed grains (millet, barley and anything else fun I find at the natural store) and a big salad every weekend. .
A green salad? how do you make it last without wilting/going bad?

i will be back with some of our meals... i have been trying to get new ideas b/c DH is sick of beans!

Mama to two sweet girls!

#25 of 37 Old 10-27-2008, 02:58 PM

subbing for ideas! :
#26 of 37 Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 PM

I make a big batch of slow-cooker spaghetti sauce and freeze it in dinner-size portions. It typically makes 6 dinners and and 2 or 3 lunches each time.

We make pizza once a week - dough is super easy to make yourself and worth it. I recommend Bittman's recipe in How To Cook Everything Vegetarian - it rises while you get the other ingredients ready and takes the least time I've seen for dough. We top w/ olives, spinach, and whatever herbs we have. If you buy a big can of tomato puree and divide it up into fourths, use one as the sauce and freeze the other three to use on future pizzas. It's about a cup each. Sooo much cheaper than the canned pizza sauce, and it's really good. You can even mix in some dried herbs to jazz it up a bit.

We also do breakfast for dinner once a week. Scrambled eggs w/ MF farms crumbles, seasoning mix and a little cheese on top, pancakes, fruit.

Also, one of my favorites is a double batch of black bean chili - freeze some for next week, eat half with some baked potatoes for dinner one day, make a chili bake with noodles, and maybe even have chili Smart Dogs. Also, with all that, it makes enough for lunches for at least 3 days also.

I fed my family for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for this week on under $50. We are vegetarian and eat eggs and cheese, I do soy milk and DH does cow milk.

At the end of the week, do a big stir-fry with leftover veggies that are going to get gross - we buy the bag of frozen stirfry mix for a dollar and add our veg to it, serve it with brown rice or linguine.
#27 of 37 Old 11-02-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMama2007 View Post

Also, one of my favorites is a double batch of black bean chili - freeze some for next week, eat half with some baked potatoes for dinner one day, make a chili bake with noodles, and maybe even have chili Smart Dogs. Also, with all that, it makes enough for lunches for at least 3 days also.
I have about $15 cash for groceries until November 13th and not a whole lot of food in the pantry,BUT I think I can make a decent enough black bean chili to eat as chili in a bowl,chili over rice and chili over a baked potato with a little melted cheese this week. I love the Smart Dog and chili idea! I'll have to try that sometime,I've always wanted a chili dog!
#28 of 37 Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 PM

Great ideas!

OP, does your family like eggs? You can make quiches and freeze them. The dough isn't difficult at all. And you can add any leftover veggies and clean out your fridge

I like simple bean salads and veggie salads rather than lettuce-based salads. These are great for leftovers too cuz you can always toss them into a pastaor grain dish to stretch them.
#29 of 37 Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 PM

TVP (textured vegetable protein) is a great way to add protein to a meal as well... way cheaper than veggie ground round. I get mine at a bulk food store (Bulk Barn) and put it in chili or spaghetti sauce or sloppy joe's. Great ground beef substitute.

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

#30 of 37 Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBean View Post
A green salad? how do you make it last without wilting/going bad?
I clean the greens and add tons of chopped veggies (broccoli, onion, pepper, carrots, and such) but I leave the dressing and "wet" ingredients like tomatoes and beets separate so that it doesn't wilt. I also stick a tea towel in the bag with salads or spun/dried greens and it extends their shelf-life a lot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page