Stuck in a food rut.. help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-30-2008, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to plan our meals so I can do a weekly shop instead of a daily one. I have a limited budget of approx $100/week to feed me and 4 children on a vegetarian diet. At the moment we seem stuck. It always seems to be a sandwich or pasta for lunch which I find boring now. Can anyone share what they have for lunch, a sample of frugal veggie dinners and also snacks. My kids snack alot but are fed up of me offering bread/butter and an apple. I need some inspiration.
Thanks in advance xxx
#2 of 5 Old 08-31-2008, 06:41 PM

Wow that's a difficult one when you are a vegetarian, because the food is so costly (I was one for two years). I would suggest going to cheaper markets to buy larger quantities and greater varieties of food. Try Sav a lot or Aldi, your local farmer's market, and and hit up Asian food stores, they always have great prices on food.

Snack ideas:

Celery with peanut/almond butter and raisons/craisons
Carrots and apples
Triscuts and dip (you can make a quick and cheap dip out of a dried salad dressing mix and a tub of sour cream)
trail mix (make your own with granola, pretzels, chocolate chips, and dried fruit)
orange slices and jello

How strict of a vegetarian are you?
#3 of 5 Old 09-01-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azariahsmom View Post
Wow that's a difficult one when you are a vegetarian, because the food is so costly (I was one for two years). I would suggest going to cheaper markets to buy larger quantities and greater varieties of food. Try Sav a lot or Aldi, your local farmer's market, and and hit up Asian food stores, they always have great prices on food.

Snack ideas:

Celery with peanut/almond butter and raisons/craisons
Carrots and apples
Triscuts and dip (you can make a quick and cheap dip out of a dried salad dressing mix and a tub of sour cream)
trail mix (make your own with granola, pretzels, chocolate chips, and dried fruit)
orange slices and jello

How strict of a vegetarian are you?
We are strict vegetarians in that we eat no animal products. We seem to eat the same meals every week which is getting dull lol. I think the kids don't mind though. On a cheap week we eat lots of potatoes, rice, puy lentils, veggie mince made into dishes. We always have veg even if frozen and usually salad sticks.
My kids wanna snack lots and seem to think I can rustle up interesting snacks for them. Maybe I should bake more!
Do you have a good recipe for granola?
#4 of 5 Old 09-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Bumping because all of those moved threads are distracting!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#5 of 5 Old 09-05-2008, 08:02 PM

For lunch, we most often eat:

cheese quesadillas
grilled cheese
"cold plate", which is odds and ends--cheese, crackers, pickles, a raw veggie, maybe a dip
peanut butter sandwiches
mini pizzas--on bagels or english muffins
pot pies (frozen )
tomato sandwiches, this time of year
leftovers
soup (when I make soup, I freeze the leftovers, so there are always several to choose from)
rice and beans (usually pinto, rice, topped with salsa)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page