Share your low-fat freezer meals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I know this thread may be redundant, but I'm new to "freezer meals" and I have a couple questions.

I have some surgery scheduled for early November and I want to make sure I have some meals on hand that will be easy to prepare if I'm tired/hurting or if DH has to do it. I don't have a chest freezer, just a small frig with a freezer (that has very little room). So I need some space-saving freezer meals. Or hints for storing meals compactly.

The other thing is that I have to eat extremely low-fat meals after my surgery, so things like lasagna (which is my usual freezer meal) are probably out. I need some recipes to inspire me to get cooking!

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM

Soups, stews, curries, chili, rice, baked oatmeal, quiche, muffins, corn bread.....all these freeze great. We are not a "low-fat" family so I am not sure my recipes will work for you.

But also...things like dump chicken....almost any chicken + marinade freezes great...easy to throw in a crockpot. Add in some rice or quinoa in a rice cooker...easy peasy.
#3 of 5 Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 PM

Forgot to say for storing...many many things can be added into ziploca bags (get high quality) and frozen flat on cookie sheets...then stacked up like a record. This works great with chili's, stews and even you can mix up eggs and ingredients for quiche, and freeze this way. Defrost...pour in pie pan and bake. This is a great way to take advantage of good sales on eggs too.
#4 of 5 Old 10-15-2008, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Black bean Chili (use lean ground turkey instead of beef) and Chicken gumbo (I use breasts) are favorites around here for low fat freezer meals.

A lot of your regular meals will work if you sub lean ground turkey in place of beef and skip the dairy.

Seriously?
#5 of 5 Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstump View Post
Soups, stews, curries, chili, rice, baked oatmeal, quiche, muffins, corn bread.....all these freeze great. We are not a "low-fat" family so I am not sure my recipes will work for you.

But also...things like dump chicken....almost any chicken + marinade freezes great...easy to throw in a crockpot. Add in some rice or quinoa in a rice cooker...easy peasy.
what is baked oatmeal?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page