Orginizing Recipes / Plans / etc - Mothering Forums
Meal Planning > Orginizing Recipes / Plans / etc
Justmee's Avatar Justmee 05:36 AM 11-04-2008
So I have been trying to plan more, organize more, etc. It's a lifelong proccess :

How do you all orginize your recipes and your meal plans? I had (well have) mastercook, and i like it well enough except it keeps crashing with vista (when I try to don a new recipe it crashes). I can't seem to find any fix to the problem, have tried uninstalling, etc. I'm done with it. It's a shame though because I did like the software.

I have tons of recipes I've typed up when I borrowed a cookbook or whatever. I have ones I C&P off here I want to try, I have recipes in a book from friends and cookbooks I use. I would like something where I could store all my recipes (preferably on the computer, and prefer somethnig that will give me nutritional info, etc. Free is great but I don't mind buying software (assuming it works with vista). I am a member of recipezaar, but I don't know how to use it to get the most out of it, and it seems their meal planning stuff is on the pay membership. I don't mind pay8ing if I know it will be good, but I hate to pay 25 / year for something when I could in theory buy a piece of software and have it for life.

:

Alyantavid's Avatar Alyantavid 01:48 PM 11-04-2008
I have a recipe box and lots of cookbooks. Any new recipes I find, usually on here, I print off and they go in a notebook with the lists of meals we like so I can throw one in rotation somewhere.

Thats as organized as I can manage to get with my recipes.
onlyzombiecat's Avatar onlyzombiecat 02:11 PM 11-04-2008
Have you tried www.sparkrecipes.com? It is free and might do what you are looking for.
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/food-...?feature_id=29

My system is on paper so it really isn't what you are looking for.
I have two expandable accordion style file folders.
One has recipes I haven't tried. I keep in in a kitchen cabinet with the cookbooks.
The other has recipes sorted by category that I've tried, my family likes, and I use regularly. I also put meal plans in there. That goes on top of my refrigerator.
Justmee's Avatar Justmee 06:50 AM 11-10-2008
OK an update

I have downloaded (trial versions of):

LivingCookbook 2008 (don't like the interface at all, doesn't excite me, but I have 30 days to play with it more)

AccuChef (simple, I can input recipes easily, the meal planning area seems useful)

BigOven (seems fancier, I was trying to get the swing of it, I have another 29 days to trial).

Anyone have experience with any of these programs? I think I like AccuChef the best now, but BigOven has a lot of very positive reviews, and it does seem like there is more to the program so before making up my mind I'm giving it more time.
Up