Orginizing Recipes / Plans / etc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-04-2008, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have been trying to plan more, organize more, etc. It's a lifelong proccess :

How do you all orginize your recipes and your meal plans? I had (well have) mastercook, and i like it well enough except it keeps crashing with vista (when I try to don a new recipe it crashes). I can't seem to find any fix to the problem, have tried uninstalling, etc. I'm done with it. It's a shame though because I did like the software.

I have tons of recipes I've typed up when I borrowed a cookbook or whatever. I have ones I C&P off here I want to try, I have recipes in a book from friends and cookbooks I use. I would like something where I could store all my recipes (preferably on the computer, and prefer somethnig that will give me nutritional info, etc. Free is great but I don't mind buying software (assuming it works with vista). I am a member of recipezaar, but I don't know how to use it to get the most out of it, and it seems their meal planning stuff is on the pay membership. I don't mind pay8ing if I know it will be good, but I hate to pay 25 / year for something when I could in theory buy a piece of software and have it for life.

:

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#2 of 4 Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 PM

I have a recipe box and lots of cookbooks. Any new recipes I find, usually on here, I print off and they go in a notebook with the lists of meals we like so I can throw one in rotation somewhere.

Thats as organized as I can manage to get with my recipes.
#3 of 4 Old 11-04-2008, 01:11 PM

Have you tried www.sparkrecipes.com? It is free and might do what you are looking for.
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/food-...?feature_id=29

My system is on paper so it really isn't what you are looking for.
I have two expandable accordion style file folders.
One has recipes I haven't tried. I keep in in a kitchen cabinet with the cookbooks.
The other has recipes sorted by category that I've tried, my family likes, and I use regularly. I also put meal plans in there. That goes on top of my refrigerator.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#4 of 4 Old 11-10-2008, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

OK an update

I have downloaded (trial versions of):

LivingCookbook 2008 (don't like the interface at all, doesn't excite me, but I have 30 days to play with it more)

AccuChef (simple, I can input recipes easily, the meal planning area seems useful)

BigOven (seems fancier, I was trying to get the swing of it, I have another 29 days to trial).

Anyone have experience with any of these programs? I think I like AccuChef the best now, but BigOven has a lot of very positive reviews, and it does seem like there is more to the program so before making up my mind I'm giving it more time.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page