2 boxes of papers to be shredded... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 20 Old 11-26-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 boxes of old papers that need to be shredded. We have a shredder but we can only use it 3 minutes continuously. We have tried doing it little by little but eventually we get frustrated and give up.

I have seen trucks that say shredding services. Is that for little people like me or for large companies?

What other options do I have to get rid of this 'sensitive' material?

We create our own reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 PM

I don't know about those companies who shred...maybe give one a call and ask?

Depending on just HOW sensitive the information is, we have implemented some "fun" ways to dispose of paperwork. DD has helped shred in the shredder for a couple minutes at a time and she enjoys it far more than either of us. LOL We've also ripped and torn papers by hand and divided them among various trash bags and put them out on different weeks. It would take a VERY determined person to make anything worth all that effort. I have used certain types of paper for composting and/or lining animal bedding/litter pans.

Could you borrow a friend's shredder that is capable of shredding for longer periods of time? Does a public library or school have one you can borrow?

Best wishes!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#3 of 20 Old 11-26-2008, 03:47 PM

I rip off our names/address/account numbers off anything sensitive and just toss the rest in the recycle bin. When it comes down to it the part I'm ripping off is very small in comparison to the piece of paper. It took a while to get into this habit, but now I do it every day when I go through the mail so it's literally seconds, if that.

Another option is to burn your large stack - I used to do that years ago.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012

#4 of 20 Old 11-26-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
I rip off our names/address/account numbers off anything sensitive and just toss the rest in the recycle bin. When it comes down to it the part I'm ripping off is very small in comparison to the piece of paper. It took a while to get into this habit, but now I do it every day when I go through the mail so it's literally seconds, if that.
Good point! We do this NOW, also. We no longer have a stack of shredding and it is MUCH EASIER to handle when done daily or weekly (or any regular routine).

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 20 Old 11-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Our trash goes to a transfer station and get trucked out so if there is something very sensitive - I'll throw it in with the garbage and throw coffee grounds and yucky stuff on it. Then I take it to the dump, and throw it into the big compactor. No one will be going through that stuff.

If I lived where they had curbside pick-up I'd invest in a better shredder, or shred a few at a time until I catch up and then shred as the mail comes in.
#6 of 20 Old 11-26-2008, 04:52 PM

If there are any shows you like to watch during the day or at night, get in the habit of shredding during every commercial break until the boxes are gone. Then just do it as soon as you need to shred something.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#7 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 01:39 AM

One in a while, our county has a shredding service where each resident can drop off a certain amount of paper.

Before I got a decent shredder, I would just cut off the most important info to shred and recycle the rest.
#8 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Do you have a compost pile, would you want to throw the papers in there?

What about a friend or relative that has a woodstove that you trust that would burn the papers for you? What about planning a camping trip if you can't do outside fires where you live and have burn the papers at the campsite in the fire?
#9 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 04:35 AM

Burn it.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#10 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've got you beat Our shredder broke a year ago, so we bought a tiny hand-crank shredder (I use the shredder part, sitting on a much bigger bucket). We've been purging our office papers, and there's a LOT, up to 5 years old. We recycle paper at community paper bins at YMCA, schools and churches. I'm rather uncomfortable sending the cc statements, mortgage info, etc there. So, I am shredding about half of it. I shred while watching tv, which is something you can't do with an electric shredder! An hour a night, and you'd be surprised how much you can get done. Kids help when they're bored. I have filled at least 4 huge trash bags of shreds, and I still have a very very large box left to shred. Oh - and I freecycled the shredded paper.

In spite of all that, I'd burn it if I could!

But, it's way easier just to keep caught up instead!

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#11 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 03:47 PM

When we decluttered our filing cabinet a few months ago, we burned about 2 boxes worth of paper. It was so much faster than dealing with a shredder.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#12 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

One of our neighbors has an outdoor fire pit, maybe I could burn it there.

After this I pledge to stay on top of the shredding. Definitely going to rip off the parts that can be recycled, so much less to shred.

There are so many things like 'paper shredding' that make it so much more difficult to organize and actually get a whole room done. I am not a hoarder by any means but little things pile up and create big piles that are sometimes hard to tackle.

We create our own reality.
#13 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 AM

I just found a ton of stuff when cleaning out a closet, so I burned all of it. I keep up with all of our mail and junk that we receive and shred it every couple of days, and then put the shredding into the compost bin.

But, when I use to let it pile up (and when I still worked) I would take it to work. We had big bins to dump sensitive papers into and then a company would pick it up once a week. I'd sneak the stuff into work and dump it there So if you know someone who works at a bank or some place similar, maybe they could take it in for you.

I've tried the companies that do the shredding. I either didn't have enough to warrant a pick up, or was told to bring it and leave it on a dock. That never made sense to me since I wanted info shredded, leaving it in a box on a dock didn't seem safe either.
#14 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd burn it for now if you can... just to catch up. After that I'd put it into your weekly schedule to do. I have Fridays scheduled to clean out the car, my purse, diaper bag, backpacks and shred papers. Mine will run for about 15 mins tho... perhaps you should plan to shred twice a week since yours will do 3 minutes?

Beth
#15 of 20 Old 05-29-2009, 02:01 PM

i'd burn it.
#16 of 20 Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 PM

Do you or DP have access to a big shredder where you work? I've burned out several shredders at home. What I now do is pitch everything to be shredded into a plastic Target bag (one of the regular size, not huge, ones). I then take it to work and shred it at lunch or before/after work. In fact, I just did this today.

Of course, it helps to have as many bills, statements, etc., online as possible. Remove yourself from mailing lists and such, so you'll have less to have to shred.

lady.gif
#17 of 20 Old 05-29-2009, 09:37 PM

I don't know what you mean by "sensitive" ... but, frankly, I've always just thrown stuff out in the trash. Credit card statements, utility, bank, etc. I just put it in the trash.

I've never had any issues as a result.

Maybe this is considered risky ... but, really, I can see the trash collectors picking it up, and the trash truck squeezing it all flat.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#18 of 20 Old 05-30-2009, 10:07 AM

The last town we lived in had a place that did paper recycling so you just drove up to this warehouse and tossed things right in the slush.
#19 of 20 Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 PM

I shred everything by hand...it's a good thing to do while watching a film.
#20 of 20 Old 05-31-2009, 03:14 AM

You can get a pair of shredder scissors. If you google it, you'll find plenty of sites that sell it. Most likely an office supply store would have it too.

We have a decent shredder but sometimes I find it faster to take a piece of paper and rip it up to pieces by hand. I'm thinking of getting the scissors.

But shredder or scissors, if you do a bit every day or on a regular schedule, you will eventually catch up, so no worries!

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page