Anyone doing a HUGE declutter before 2009? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I purged some clothes and linens in my bedroom closet. I filled a garbage bag! (I didn't realize I had some many things to get rid of in there

I'm going to drive it and the other bag sitting in the basement, as well as a box full of toys, over to the mission on Saturday.
#32 of 40 Old 12-11-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post
so good for me to read how you go about it in your different ways, since I'm also anxious about doing it "the right way" ... which I know deep down is not realistic since everyone's way is "the right way" for them ...
I don't think there is any "right" way. Everyone has to do what works for them. I have very little time each week due to work and school, so my strategy is to pick one small spot (like DS dresser, the bathroom closet, or bedroom closet) and go for it. That way I can get it done in an hour or two and feel like I got something accomplished. I rotate the declutter spot to wherever needs it most, because I don't have the time for any whole-house projects at the moment .

Good luck and dive right in!
#33 of 40 Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM

I am trying to do a big declutter & organization of my home for 2009. I have a tonne of stuff to take to Goodwill, or to sell which I really want to get done asap. What is frustrating is my husband has a lot of stuff that he needs to declutter. He likes to keep everything but 99% of his stuff is just sitting around unused and has no value. I am thinking I will make a detailed list of everything he could potentially get rid of and see if that helps get him going.

We have a closet under our basement stairs and I really want to make it a special spot for our DD, but right now it is filled with junk.

I just started a blog to keep me motivated. Somehow posting pictures and writing about it makes it that much more rewarding.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#34 of 40 Old 12-11-2008, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think there's a hard and fast right and wrong way to declutter and organize. For me it works best if I do it small and on my own for the most part. I tried having a friend of mine with me and he kept telling me to keep things in case I needed them later or b/c he knew I liked them and then he'd take them out of my donation pile! Not helpful at all.
#35 of 40 Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 PM

Woohoo! I added a bag of holiday decorations to my donation pile! At this rate I might have a carload by Saturday !
#36 of 40 Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 AM

5 garbage bags full today. My closet has never looked better. Neither have my linen cabinets. I want to declutter DS's stuff, but I'm afraid to get rid of any of it because then if I have another baby...especially a boy... SIGH. Toby probably has the most stuff of any of us. Oh those grandparents

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#37 of 40 Old 12-13-2008, 10:35 PM

I always declutter before Christmas, then I get depressed that more stuff will be showing up. I am getting better at only getting my kids a few things they love instead of many things that I just toss in the trash by the end of January.
We decluttered today! It was awesome! It always feels so great and my house stays cleaner for a while afterwards!

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#38 of 40 Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 PM

I just mentally lost it tonight with the state of my house. I am DROWNING in clutter and am so sick of it! I did a big declutter last year and there is no evidence of that at all!

I did clear off some counters tonight and am going to make a master list of things to do and try to knock out an item a day.

My problem is I start looking through things when decluttering and thinking I will need it and I should just keep it. I have to STOP that mentality!
#39 of 40 Old 12-15-2008, 03:22 AM

I'm trying, but the going is slow. I got rid of a large pile of stuff about a month ago to a charity that picks up, and finally went through the hand-me-downs that a friend keeps giving for ds and organized them. Then I went into the attic and found about 6 boxes of clothes from dd from newborn to 4T. I can't believe how much clothing that kid had. She was MIL's first Grandchild so got really spoiled, wow! I've been packing that stuff up and sending it out to friends and sent several boxes out to the Mothers In Need on the holiday helper list here.

And I've put my shredder out and am shredding all new junk paper as soon as it comes in instead of making a bag to get to later. This has helped a lot. Much more work to do, though. Signing on for inspiration and ideas.
#40 of 40 Old 12-15-2008, 12:25 PM

Well, I donated a carload of stuff on Saturday! Then I spent Sunday rearranging books in my office to "clean" it up a bit because we will have family sleeping on the futon in there. I also rearranged DS's room to accommodate this cool picture that I found at the thrift store. http://archymommy.blogspot.com/2008/...ful-score.html The good news is that I got ride of even more things - I finally purged some of his many stuffed animals and removed one of the bookshelves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page