Anyone doing a HUGE declutter before 2009? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am! I am amazed at the amount of "stuff" that I have in this place and I need to get rid of it all! I need to be well organized and clutter free so I can think and function better. At the moment it's crazy b/c I took all my "stuff" out of the closet and it's all over the place and my hallway is filled with my donations!

I'm doing really well so far!!!!:

I 'd put stuff aside that I was going to give a friend or maybe sell,but that just went into the donation box. My friend has a lot of stuff all ready and her kids will be getting even more stuff soon enough. I won't sell anything! I know I'll place the ad on craigslist but people will take forever to come and buy it.

Here's a small list of things I've done so far to get organized.

-made a little collage with my stamps to hang
-put photos in 2 frames that have been sitting in a box for 2 years
-cut up some pj bottoms for rags
-put an old beat up folding chair outside my door,to be used when putting boots on or may be tossed on garbage day (not sure yet)
-went through closet and dresser and added to the donation bag
-had to get a box for donations

Added to donation bag/box
-knife I never,ever use and never,ever will
-a teddy bear and Curious George that just isn't special to me anymore
-picture frames
-deck of cards used once by roommate for a Halloween game
-book on childcare I didn't read much of and know I won't
-an old purse I don't feel is special enough for my collection
-a bag of purses (NEW) that I won't use (had them for about 3 years)
-some material and old shirt I bought for a project I'll never make and don't want to now anyway
-an old wrap skirt
-a bedspread bought just over 10 years ago that was used twice to hang on the wall
-new blinds a former roommate had tossed in the trash and I dug out
-3 plastic water bottles that I used once

There is more stuff but I can't remember all of it now!

I also went over a few "bathroom" items and will do it again later. I have tons of body lotion and all kinds of bubble bath and stuff. Some brand new and some used a little,but I don't know what to do with it. I guess see if friends want it or offer it on CL for free.

This feels so good! I'm really able to let go of a lot of stuff. More then I was able to before. I'd hold onto things that had some kind of sentimental value to me or things I thought I'd need. Not sure what changed,but I'm so glad I'm able to put more and more in that donations box!

My goal is to be organized and clutter free before Christmas and the New Year. Anyone doing this type of challenge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

More stuff just went in the bog donation pile! I also put together a little bag of toys I had left over from when I did home daycare to give to the little one that I now nanny for.

My storage closet is nice and clean now and has lot's of room for the extra toilette paper and other supplies that are actually needed.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:47 AM

I was so excited to see these discussions! I am new here and love that everyone has similar values in this department.

We live in a 1 1/2 story home, where our 4 children (ages 3, 4, 7, & 10) get the entire upstairs. Now, we're pretty thrifty and don't spend a lot on useless things, but if anything does get up there, I swear it multiplies! Anyway, we went through everything in 2 weekends. Our philosophy was that if we didn't see them playing with it in at least the past 4 months, it was gone. All the clothes were tried on, and if it didn't fit - outta there!

The life upstairs is so simple and wonderful, now. Kids aren't throwing things all over the place just to get to what they really want. They are enjoying the things they like. Honestly, my boys only really play with Legos, Lincoln Logs, and a farm and castle playset, and some cars. The girls only really like Littlest Pet Shop, arts & crafts, books, and that's about it. (I have really cool kids.) Now that the rest is gone, they actually play more, and everyone spends a whole lot less time cleaning!

I have too much guilt in just throwing things away, especially since so many things are still in great shape. I plan sell online or give away most of the items we've cleared out, and promote some recycling through reuse in the process.

Beware - decluttering is addicting! We love the upstairs so much now that we are moving downstairs and getting rid of our own needless things. It's going to be so great!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

I don't bad for getting rid of my stuff at all. I asked my neighbor to come up and have a look in my donations boxes and she ended up taking most of the stuff from me. She also gave me a great curtain that I think will fit perfectly between my bedroom and living room area! :

I just have a small bag of stuff left now that can easily be dropped off at the second hand shop soon. I know I need to try clothes and on and get rid of more clothes,but I did put a HUGE dent in the closet. I also set up a little project of putting together a photo collage soon with some little postcards and pictures from my travels. I'm saving that for a "snowy day" project and some hot chocolate or a nice mug of tea. I love how shiny and clean my floor looks and how much space I have now.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:25 AM

We've been going through our house and getting rid of stuff. I'm off for 4 days next week and plan on doing more. I'm not going to give away anything until after the 1st of the year because we've already given away a lot this year. I think we've hit our max in charity right offs.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 12-02-2008, 02:39 PM

HUGE HUGE HUGE!!! we are moving, want to be in the new house by Dec 20 so I've been going through the whole entire house, it's amazing what I have gotten rid of in my boxing and I'm sure that when I unbox I will be getting rid of even more... some of that might take until 2009 or maybe even 2010 though
Old 12-02-2008, 03:07 PM

I’m glad I’m not the only one! I was going to hold off until after Christmas, but I already feel like the clutter is encroaching, especially in DS’ room. Yesterday I went through all his toys in his room and in the living room downstairs. I filled a box with stuff to donate. I also found an unopened box of wooden blocks in DS’s closet - he received 4 boxes of blocks for his 1st birthday over a year ago. He plays with two of the packages of blocks, I already re-gifted one, and now I will donate this last one to toys for tots. I also have a couple more toys earmarked for donation, but because the Ils will be here over Christmas and I don’t want them asking where X went, I’ll keep these things till they come and then I’ll donate them :. I suspect I will have even more to donate *after* Christmas.

Last weekend I did a major purge and clean out of my craft supply closet. I also cleaned out old files in my file cabinet to make room for 2008 files to go in deep storage.

I’ll probably do a purge of clothes after Christmas. The other thing I need to take care of is DS’ cloth diapers. I’ve got a lot of cloth diapering supplies that I need to sell or something. Right now, there is a huge sack of stuff just sitting in his closet. I’m no good at selling stuff online…I don’t have the time to devote to it. But I’d really like to get some money back for all this stuff. Suggestions (and please don’t say diaper swappers – that place totally frustrates me)?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:12 PM

Since I'm due in a few weeks and feeling nesty as it is...(combined with the holidays coming ACK) I'm definitely going to be decluttering!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 PM

I've been trying to declutter all year - it's been a slow process, though. Today DH is taking a snowsuit to Coats for Kids at work, as well as some food bank food... At the end of last week I went through 4 (no kidding it was ridiculous) bins of toys and downsized to only 2 small wicker baskets. My daughter is actually enjoying her toys more and not feeling quite so overwhelmed by the masses of stuff, I hope.

Take care,
El
Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have been dumping bin after bin of stuff at the local thrift shops -- who knew we had so much? And I always thought we were the kind of people who didn't have a lot of stuff. Turns out we have huge amount, I am just masterful at hiding it in the attic/basement/cupboards.

I have this one reeeeeeeally bad cabinet. The place where stuff gets dumped -- stuff that we may need, that has sentimental value, stuff that has been overlooked and shuffled around before. I have a deadline to get it done, clean to the walls, painted and repurposed. Must get started.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM

I'm in the midst of a very scary decluttering project...
Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I’m no good at selling stuff online…I don’t have the time to devote to it. But I’d really like to get some money back for all this stuff. Suggestions (and please don’t say diaper swappers – that place totally frustrates me)?
I'd say Craigslist... I sold a bunch of CDs in October and they got picked up quite fast.

I'm wanting to do a major decluttering project - I feel like we're drowning in STUFF. We have a storage unit and I want to get rid of it because it's just plain stupid to spend $100 storing stuff you don't use. DH has heart palpitations whenever I suggest we get rid of some things though. He's ridiculous.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM

I have been doing major decluttering. Only a few weeks left though ... see my siggy! There is a huge need for toys and kids clothing with the Holiday Helpers.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I’ll probably do a purge of clothes after Christmas. The other thing I need to take care of is DS’ cloth diapers. I’ve got a lot of cloth diapering supplies that I need to sell or something. Right now, there is a huge sack of stuff just sitting in his closet. I’m no good at selling stuff online…I don’t have the time to devote to it. But I’d really like to get some money back for all this stuff. Suggestions (and please don’t say diaper swappers – that place totally frustrates me)?
You could try the TP here.

Take care,
El
Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
DH has heart palpitations whenever I suggest we get rid of some things though. He's ridiculous.
My husband is without a doubt the biggest obstacle in my house decluttering. He's STARTING to get a little bit on board, but it's to the point now where I will say "We need to get rid of *insert something like these old McDonald's miniature hockey jerseys, because we have no space for them and you don't use them" and he'll say "Ok." and I'll say "HOLY."

Take care,
El
Old 12-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemnop View Post
My husband is without a doubt the biggest obstacle in my house decluttering. He's STARTING to get a little bit on board, but it's to the point now where I will say "We need to get rid of *insert something like these old McDonald's miniature hockey jerseys, because we have no space for them and you don't use them" and he'll say "Ok." and I'll say "HOLY."

Take care,
El
EXACTLY. The same thing happened last night to me! "We really should get rid of your old computer books since you've had them since we were married 2 years ago and you haven't opened them once." "Ok."

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?! CAN I GET THAT IN WRITING?!!"

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:21 PM

We're just getting started also. We have way too much stuff (esp. clothes, it's insane, we still have clothes from before we met....almost 12 years ago)., so we're really trying to downsize. The one thing I can't seem to get rid of is all our books. So first we're going to do clothes, then toys, then odds & ends (knick knacks, bath stuff, etc), then we'll see about the books. I know I should donate some, I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. Would it be so wrong to minimize everything else but keep the books?

ETA: I do feel very lucky, dh completely agrees with me, though he feels the same way about the books so he's no help there LOL).
Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
We're just getting started also. We have way too much stuff (esp. clothes, it's insane, we still have clothes from before we met....almost 12 years ago)., so we're really trying to downsize. The one thing I can't seem to get rid of is all our books. So first we're going to do clothes, then toys, then odds & ends (knick knacks, bath stuff, etc), then we'll see about the books. I know I should donate some, I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. Would it be so wrong to minimize everything else but keep the books?

ETA: I do feel very lucky, dh completely agrees with me, though he feels the same way about the books so he's no help there LOL).
Books are really hard for both of us too. We both want to have a library room someday and so getting rid of our books is painful. I've settled for getting rid of ones I know I shouldn't keep (old fantasy books that are a little more graphic than I understood at age 12!) and ones that I know we'll never ever read (DH's old textbooks on Muslims and Politics for a class he never went to. Yeah.)

Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’m glad I’m not the only one!

I'm so glad people saw this post! lol It feels so good to see things clearly now and have space in my closet for the things that I do actually need. It also felt so good to see my neighbours face when she thanked me for her goodies and her little girls face when she found the Curious George and BIG teddy bear that she got from me. Today I went to see them and she was so happy about the body butter I gave her,said it worked so well for her dry skin. I liked it to,lived the smell,but I had way to many things that were similar!

About the diapers can you sell them on CL or maybe a consignment shop that sells baby gear?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:36 PM

Not a huge declutter, but we always try to rehome items we no longer need/use. It's a great time of year for that.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post

I understand so much about the books, I did get rid of maybe 8 brown paper grocery bags but we still have tons and I truely mean tons, there for a while I was stacking all like things together and then decided I had better start spreading out the weight of the book boxes so that the floor did not crash through. I kept out, well boxed up seperatly a few books that are must have refrences and most of the kid's books. My plan is to tackle the books last once we get the rest of the house set up.

Go with your plan of going through the other stuff first and you might have a different mindset and are willing to let go of a big chunck of books then. Then again, maybe you will have so more room from getting rid of the other stuff that keeping the books will be easy.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
About the diapers can you sell them on CL or maybe a consignment shop that sells baby gear?
There are two baby consignment shops in town. I tried selling some cloth diapers at one before and had no luck. The owner ended up practically giving them away and I was not happy. I've been thinking about CL, but to tell you the truth, it's not really that big yet here (in the backwaters of the upper Midwest ). I haven't had any luck trying to sell items there before. Maybe I'll try it after the new year...I'm just too busy to put any effort into it now .
Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 PM

Bumping.

I've had such a bug to declutter the last couple days. I spent the whole weekend baking, however, so I haven't had a chance to do anything. The more I think about it, the more I want to do a purge of my linens and clothes. What is everyone else working/planning to work on?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM

I have been wanting to declutter all this past week, but just not made time for it. Today is my day! We are having leftovers for dinner, and the dishes are done. I don't think I'll have a better time than this!

Hopefully, I can update with some progress later. Wish me luck!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Yes! We've been doing a major decluttering over the last week or so. Yesterday I posted a ton of stuff for free on craigslist and it all got picked up :

21 boxes, 7 bags, and a whole pile of larger items (old stereo, DVD player, dish rack, CD racks, etc etc etc). All GONE!

We actually had someone scheduled to come and get it all on Sunday afternoon but she seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth, so I had to spend all day yesterday dealing with it... but at least it's done. I have a few things that I am trying to sell (and having no luck with, argh) and a few more things to give away.

I didn't think that our place was all that cluttered (most of what we got rid of was from the crawl space and big closet, plus a bunch of books from the shelves), but it looks so much better already, and I am so motivated to do more! It's totally addictive.

I also started a toy rotation system last night, so there is way less stuff in our living room now. Well, the system isn't that fancy, lol, I just put a bunch of toys in a big box and put them in the crawl space, and we'll bring them out again in a few months. I know a lot of people do that on here, but we'd never tried it before, and I really like it!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:22 AM

My update, our old house is almost empty, we are living with the extreme basics, even less really since we don't have a table here to even eat off from now! There is so much open floor space. there is alot of dust and cobwebs. The latest boxes were hodge podge together, they are not going to be fun to sort.

I still have my shed to go through.
I have "the cabinet under the plant shelf to deal with... most of that stuff is already in boxes and will be moved as is.
My husband still has his shed and areas to go through. (those areas don't scar me since my only involvement will be lugging filled boxes no thinking involved.

The new house, I can't see the floor in some areas now.... Mostly doing work on the weekends since I need to be at the old place for son's school. It's amazing what I have gotten done. I am cleaning/wiping off everything as I'm unpacking so that is taking extra time. Basically working on the kitchen stuff. I have no idea o a good system to really keep things so stuff is grouped up into piles or stacks on the counters and in the cabinets... figure it will take me a little bit to figure out that my measuring cups or whatever needs to be in this drawer, not that one!

I gave up on the kid's stuff, let them dump a couple of new boxes each weekend to give me the extra time to get things in order. I just got a big cabinet that used to hold hubby clothes and extr blankets moved this last weekend, once it's strapped to the wall so it doesn't squish one of the boys I will start filling it and putting a kids proof lock on it's handles until I get it filled then rules will go into effect that only so many things can be left out at any given time... we'll see if that plan works
Old 12-10-2008, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Rotation toys is great for kids and parents!

I would have LOVED to have had the time to move into this place slowly over a week or so. It was such a nasty and dirty mess with bright orange walls in the room I now sleep in and it smelled of smoke! Instead I moved in while the same day the former tenant was moving out and he hadn't finished packing so I had to put all his crap in the living room until he came the next day to get it!

Let's see.....my storage closet is nice and clear now. I have room on the shelf to store what I really need. I put aside a few more bath and body things for the neighbor. I'd like to get rid of my cloth shopping bags. I never,ever use them. I have 2 nice plastic/canvas ones from the stores that I use. Next week I want to move my appliances and clean behind them,I did this when I moved but not with bleach and I want to do that now.

I'm quite proud that I got rid of a bunch of clothes I knew I'd never wear again. Clothing is the biggest thing I have to much of and it takes up space.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:36 AM

I got rid of two boxes of stuff today! Not much, but it made me feel better. Well, sort of. Once I got past the "but that was a memory from _____!" thing. I keep telling myself "it's just STUFF." And I do feel better for having it out of my living room.

We're going through our Christmas decorations this weekend and I foresee many a box will be leaving us forever. All my Christmas stuff is inherited and I don't have any attachment issues. Combine that with the amount of space it takes up and goodbye Christmas crap!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
am trying to work out the nerve to get started !

it makes me just SO anxious, just to try to work out a plan of action ...

plus it's so depressing to see how little can be done each day considering how my time gets sucked up in other tasks ...

so good for me to read how you go about it in your different ways, since I'm also anxious about doing it "the right way" ... which I know deep down is not realistic since everyone's way is "the right way" for them ...
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM

My decluttering is going well... (see siggy!) I was concerned that I might "miss" certain things, but so far it has not happened.

User Tag List