How Many Clothes Does One Need? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 12-15-2008, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have half of a very small closet rack, and half a dresser (DP has the other half. I've probably got about three nice outfits (mix and match), three casual outfits, and the rest is muck-about clothes and outdoor gear.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#32 of 36 Old 12-15-2008, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like the Tim Gunn wardrobe essentials list:
-basic black dress
-trench coat
-dress pants
-classic shirt
-jeans
-any occasion top
-skirt
-day dress
-jacket
-sweat suit alternative

However, this list doesn't take into account a few of the essential items for stay at home mothers (like one or two sweaters that can be washed easily when baby spits up). I also tend to keep some workout clothes around, and pajamas.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#33 of 36 Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 AM

I am currently working on this as well. I've probably gotten rid of about 10 garbage bags full of clothes in the last couple of months, and I'm not done yet. But that includes ALOT of baby clothes that my babes have grown out of.

For myself, I'm down to about:

3 pairs of pants
2 skirts
2 pairs of shorts
2 pairs of leggings (SAHM pants
2 long sleeve shirts
5 short sleeve shirts
4 sweaters
2 pj sets,
1 winter coat
1 spring coat
1 black dress
workout clothes - about 10 items, could pare this down

Also would like to eventually follow the organic eco friendly route.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#34 of 36 Old 12-16-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsca View Post
Wow... I down to you. I think if you are happy with the amount of clothes you have then it is the perfect amount. I'm liking my 4 pairs of pants... I couldn't do one though. a) I always have sticky hands making them dirty. b) the laundry room is down the hall.

I really am a believer now that less clothes is the way to go. I don't waste money on cheap clothes that fall apart in a few washes. And the clothes I do buy fit me better because I'm able to spend a bit more money on them, and buy the better quality clothes.
to be honest with you, it kind of happened by accident. I had my second LO 9 months ago and I keep on 'intending' to lose the weight but it just hasn't happened. I am a UK size 12 and I would like to be UK size 10. So i kept on thinking, I will buy more clothes when i have lost the weight. Also I am really fussy so i find it hard to buy trousers which i like the fit of and i don't know about where you are, but in the UK a top would cost approx £30, trousers the same, jeans about £45 and cardigans approx £ 30. Now the jeans tend to be fine but the cardigans and tops tend to be pretty rubbish and lose shape, look not very good after washing etc which is always dissapointing. and even at that price point it annoys me! I couldn't afford to spend more than that on one single item. so I'm a bit stuck really. Plus , i take ages when im shopping and having two children in tow doesn't help one bit............ So I guess what im saying is it didn't happen intentionally, more like by accident LOL I have a washer and dryer which is on daily b/c of the childrens clothes so i just toss my stuff into it when i am doing laundry for them. But it has made me think about how many clothes I actually need/wear during one season. Being a stay at home mum, i could do with:

two pairs of jeans
6 tops
couple of nice button up cardigans
sleepwear
1 pair of shoes
underwear

thats it I guess, I'd be all set.

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#35 of 36 Old 12-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Wow, I would love to pare down my wardrobe some but I'm in-between sizes and it's so hard to get rid of perfectly good clothes that I hope to get into again. I have about nine pounds to lose since my last pregnancy and I want to get pregnant again soon. I have about three different sizes in my closet. I also work outside the home two days a week and need suits for my job.

When I'm done having children and have lost the baby weight, I plan to get my wardrobe down to the minimum.

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#36 of 36 Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 PM

I got the idea to pare down my wardrobe and create my own "uniform" from one of Elaine St. James' simplicity books. It was the first book about simplicity I read and it's the main idea that jumped out at me. I usually have 4-6 pairs of pants (jeans, sweats, and capris) and no more than 2 weeks of shirts in my favorite colors (black, brown, purple and blue). I only need one dress for special occasions. I have one pair of black mules, one pair of brown mules, one pair of Crocs, one pair of dress shoes, one pair of tennis shoes, and a pair of flip flops. I have 2 purses-one for warm weather and one for cold weather. I wouldn't call my wardrobe extreme, but it is managable and works for my relaxed lifestyle.

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page