Simplifying and spending... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-04-2008, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Has anyone noticed that when they start to simplify, purge, organize, and redecorate they also seem to spend less? I have been on a mission to change my spending habits. It was brought on by both necessity and desire, and reading the book Affluenza really kicked me in my behind. Anyway, I've been really burning to change things up in my apartment (I'm expecting so I'm sure a lot of it has to do with nesting, but I've always loved to decorate as well). While I knew I had to do things cheaply, in the beginning I always thought, "Well, I could buy this" etc.

Realizing I had no funds to purchase anything frivolous, I started redecorating and reorganizing with what I had onhand. You might not believe how much of a change rearranging and swapping things from room to room can make. Also, I've also been into crafting so I had a few supplies on hand. I was able to utilize a few empty frames, some fabric, some tissue paper for decoupaging, etc.

Anyway, doing all of this has really helped squash that urge to spend. In general, going to the store just isn't as tempting. I'm really enjoying the way my apartment is shaping up, and while I want to buy new things SOMEDAY I feel more like that time will come when these objects fall apart, not just a matter of having some money, kwim? I'm doing the finishing touches on my bedroom tonight and tomorrow, and cleaning/organizing the rest of the nursery tomorrow as well. I also want to repaint and decoupage my kitchen table, but that may wait a while...not only am I about to pop out the bambina any day now but I want it to be warm enough to open windows of course! But I'm excited that I found some paint at my dollar store of all places, so with getting that, a decent paintbrush, and modge podge my new table will cost me all of eight dollars! I can't even find a decent table at a yard sale for that most of the time!

Anyway, I was just wondering if things like that have influenced your mindset towards purchases as well. My apartment wasn't overly cluttered or messy, so I think it was more a matter of feeling empowered and creative.
#2 of 2 Old 12-04-2008, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Absolutely.

I've been Compacting all of 2008, and not buying new sure curbs the spending!

I also think a lot about repurposing, extending the life of my belongings, and making do. I just set up a playroom on our main floor for our girls, and I didn't buy a single new thing. I hung art by my preschooler, our neighbour's daughter, and a cross-stitch my sister made for me years ago that never had a proper home. I made some Waldorfy swags with an old bellydancing scarf and a piece of fabric that used to hang in our old apartment's bedroom. I decluttered enough of our books and paperwork to bring up a bookshelf from our office to store toys. It was a huge impact for a price tag of $0!

I don't keep clothes in my closet that I don't wear, but I do have a bin of things that can be repurposed. If my DD needs a new pair of pants, I haul out an old t-shirt and sew a some up.

I know that when I first started decluttering, I was absolutely overwhelmed with a feeling of gratitude and abundance. Rather than feeling like I was drowning under all of my posessions, the more I gave away, the richer I felt. I was finally able to cherish and care for my things.

Congratulations! And have a blessed and joyful birth!!!! :

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page