Decorating and Loving Our Small Spaces - Pics :-) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 12-04-2008, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's really beautiful!

My only suggestions would be to think UP -- higher shelving (like in the play area), shelves above doorways that are great to hold cluttery objects you don't want to get rid of (books, cds, vases). You can even get in a small (like 4-5 in) shelf under all your kitchen cabinets so you can get cans and whatnot off your counter. Looks like you have more wall space in your kitchen too!

Anyway, it's just gorgeous as it is!
#32 of 52 Old 12-04-2008, 05:59 PM

If you really use the microwave, than you might consider (when the budget allows) replacing the range hood with a range hood/ microwave combination. That would free up a lot of counter space. If you want to keep the breadmaker could it go on top of the cabinets? Maybe where all of those vases are?
#33 of 52 Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
Yes, I have always wanted to have a creative space for my family with small areas for DD in every room. I'd love to see pics of the play areas you've set up!
I have to say that I thnk you've already done a great job with this, but here are my pics. I hope they give you some ideas. I'm constantly changing things around to keep the room fresh and keep DS from getting bored with toys. Enjoy!

DS's bedroom:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/

Dinning Room:
Old set up: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymommy/2833873604/

Living Room/reading nook:

Office:
#34 of 52 Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

sls - I love it! I absolutely adore the reading nook in your living room. If I had even an extra foot of space on that side of my front door, I would do the same exact thing with a gorgeous art deco armoire I have hanging out in the garage waiting for a spot. Maybe I can put it where the little bookcase is, on the other side of the door?

I hate hate the microwave - having it and using it. But it is the easiest way to steam veggies or melt cheese . Our stove/oven doesn't have anywhere to vent to so the fire alarm goes off regularly in our house, ugh. I like the idea of putting microwave above the stove, out of the way.

treehugger.gif
#35 of 52 Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 PM

I think your space is wonderful. If you want a change, maybe you can change out window coverings, especially for something that stays inside the window frame, not that there is anything wrong with your current look.
#36 of 52 Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 PM

laneysprout, thanks for the compliment! DH and I decided to make the reading nook when we first bought the house. We are avid readers and we wanted a little space devoted to reading. We looked for an antique wordrobe, but couldn't find one in our price range. We settled for the IKEA wardrobe. I am really happy with the way it creates an entry space and also separates the nook from the rest of the living room. Over time, the reading nook has morphed into a play area for DS as well. Right now, over the holidays, we have our Christmas tree tucked in there too.

This is OT, but I also wanted to mention that I actually like the collection of clear vases in your kitchen. I'm sure I'm in the minority, here, but I don't think they add "clutter". I like collections of similar objects displayed together and I think they are rather artful. So you have my vote for keeping the vases (if you love them, that is ).
#37 of 52 Old 12-04-2008, 10:48 PM

Small houses are easier to care for and cheaper to heat & cool. Love your small house! I love my house but it's too danged BIG. So much to clean and so much to heat.

eta: Aaaaand I just looked at your pictures. Your house is freaking lovely. It does not look cluttered to me. I am deeply envious of your decorating skills.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#38 of 52 Old 12-04-2008, 10:52 PM

Your house is super cute! We live in a 940 square foot house and have similar taste. Small is fabulous!

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#39 of 52 Old 12-04-2008, 11:03 PM

I think the space by the fridge could be a great little playspace for magnetic numbers, letters, etc... My kids love that sort of stuff.

I like your house a lot! We are also living in a small space (450sqft) and I think it is okay, but could be great if we owned it and could make more permanent changes.

Other than that, I think Delight should visit this thread! She seems to know just how to decorate small spaces. http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyjanssens/
#40 of 52 Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
We live in a very tiny (<850 sq. ft.) house. It is just myself, DH, and our 18 mos. old DD. DH is in law school full time and I am trying to balance being a mama with doula work and writing my doctoral dissertation, so we don;t have much (read: any) extra money or time to invest in the house right now.

We loved this house when we bought it two years ago. It has a lot of charm, but we have been feeling cramped because of how much STUFF we have and are really trying to downsize and declutter, keepng only what we truly need/love. Please take a look and help me love our house!
laneysprout,

I just love your home. Very cozy! I must ask--where did you get that map play mat? I want one.
#41 of 52 Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 AM

No advice, just wanted to say that I love your house!
#42 of 52 Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Other than that, I think Delight should visit this thread! She seems to know just how to decorate small spaces. http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyjanssens/
I LOVE her style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchycon08 View Post
I must ask--where did you get that map play mat? I want one.
It is a carpet I go through a coop - Learning Carpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mija y mijo View Post
No advice, just wanted to say that I love your house!
Thank you!

treehugger.gif
#43 of 52 Old 12-05-2008, 01:30 AM

Thank you for the link!
#44 of 52 Old 12-05-2008, 02:15 AM

Your house is really gorgeous, I love the colour in the kitchen. You have a real style. The layout really shows how much layout matters, though. Our 750 sq ft house feels much bigger. But I feel like posting pics for you to give me tips.

Could you get rid of the table with the breadmaker on it in the kitchen and put a small unit with drawers or a cupboard underneath there? if it fitted exactly level with the fridge and the window, matched the other cupboards and had an enclosed bottom it would give storage and maybe feel less cluttered? Maybe the microwave could go on top of it and clear up workspace by the stove.

Could the desk by the stairs go and you put your computer on a shelf and use the dining room table or couch for computer time?
#45 of 52 Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Your house has beautiful details and flows nicely from one room to the next. I love the bathroom tile! It is so similar to the tile I grew up with!

As for decluttering, what about a magnetic knife bar instead the block. Easier to use. One more thing off the counter. And if you put it over the stove, it would be a nice focal point there. A magnetic strip for your spices could also be pretty there.

If the microwave is used often, what about the toaster? Could it be stored in the pantry (you have a great pantry!) if not used daily? For easier organization within your pantry, you can use baskets like drawers to group like items together.

Paper towels: can you store these under your sink since you have the dishtowels right there in the basket? One less thing out as visual clutter.

Toy area: what if you mount the mirror vertically on one wall and mount a book rack or like this.

If you have the office upstairs, why the desk downstairs?

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#46 of 52 Old 12-05-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I guess I just feel that since my kids are my equals, their stuff should get equal space and consideration. . . . It's just about considering every one in the house equally, that's all.
okay, i didn't get what you were saying before but i think i do now! i think we feel exactly the same way, and just have a different approach, probably because my kids don't really play with toys and they have no play structures. they pull the cushion off the chair and make it into a slide, the laundry baskets are their boats, their "play kitchen" is the real kitchen, etc. maybe when they're older, they'll have more things that are theirs, but those things will belong in their room - which is the entire finished attic, so nearly equal in size to the rest of the house

op, sorry for the detour. i'm glad you're getting some ideas and i wanna post my house too! but, as pp said, after a big clean-up.
#47 of 52 Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
But I feel like posting pics for you to give me tips.
Post away!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Could you get rid of the table with the breadmaker on it in the kitchen and put a small unit with drawers or a cupboard underneath there? if it fitted exactly level with the fridge and the window, matched the other cupboards and had an enclosed bottom it would give storage and maybe feel less cluttered? Maybe the microwave could go on top of it and clear up workspace by the stove.
I LOVE this idea, thank you!!!

treehugger.gif
#48 of 52 Old 12-05-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I also wanted to say to anyone who is interested in posting pics and sharing ideas, go for it! I can even change the title of the thread to something like "Decorating and Loving Our Small Spaces" to encapsulate the direction we're heading in!

treehugger.gif
#49 of 52 Old 12-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Love the new title! I could use some help with my new place, since we just moved in last month and I am still trying to get it set up in a way that works well. Our apartment isn't as small this time because the master bedroom is large and has a walk-in closet. I think it's about 900 sf. I need to do some more decluttering, too. The walls are all cream-colored and we're not supposed to paint so bringing more color to the apartment has been a challenge for me. Also, we need more storage shelving, just to neaten things up. I'm not ready to post pictures yet, maybe soon!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#50 of 52 Old 12-14-2008, 02:23 AM

I love your house! It's adorable, and just about the size we want.

I read your note on the bathroom picture...please please PLEASE don't cover up that tile! It's gorgeous! I love retro bathroom tile. The modern stuff is so boring.
#51 of 52 Old 12-26-2008, 02:04 AM

A little late to the game, but your home is lovely. The only suggestion I can offer is to move the microwave to on top of the fridge - if the folks using it are tall enough to reach, that is!

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
#52 of 52 Old 12-26-2008, 03:12 AM

:
and subbing

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page