Fess up! Who doesn't like Xmas Decor? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are down to tree, stockings, advent calendar and outside lights. Its SICK that I am counting the days til its all down. Next yr everyone lets put up a thread in november reminding us how we felt this year
#32 of 45 Old 12-21-2008, 04:48 PM

I'm not fond of Solstice decor. I like lights, one piece of medium sized greenery, and the stockings. That's it! The stockings are only there because they're the only gifts we do. Our stockings also happen to be the slipper socks we use the rest of the year.

I like what mommaof3boz says, though. This year I set up an email reminder to myself through my Google calendar that outlines our whole "plan" for the holiday, including shopping lists. I have it reminding me a month and a week ahead of time, since there are different things that need to be picked up at different times, like groceries for our "traditional" dinner and breakfast. You could do something similar to make an automated advent calendar in email, if you were so inspired.
--
AnnaArcturus
#33 of 45 Old 12-22-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandeCobb View Post
i was having an internal dialogue with myself earlier about how it would be okay to start taking down some Christmas decorations down NOW, on the 21st because it's almost Christmas and we have enjoyed them for weeks now...LOL. I won't do it but it is tempting. I have a major decluttering bug this weekend and would LOVE to see the house perfect and regular!
LOL glad to hear I am not the only one! We are actually leaving town on the 24th to visit family and I seriously am considering taking all of that crap down. We have enjoyed it, and now we are leaving- so why come hope to a house full of decorations after the fact?

Julie; happily married mamma to Wyatt (4) and Jonah (1.5)
#34 of 45 Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 PM

Hey, if you really want to freak out, go to Dr.Phil.com and type in Grandma Claus in the search..when you see Holiday Headaches scroll down til you see Grandma Claus..you get to see inside her insanely decorated house..and you will be even more glad you don't have lots of decorations!
#35 of 45 Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM

one year i went insane. it was as if a snowman had exploded in my head and left me without any sense of reason or moderation. i had fake snow everywhere, little scenes of porcelain reindeer, a snowman family skiing, it was ridiculous. i think it was the first year in our house. and 99.99% of the stuff i displayed was gifted from my MIL.

never again.

i felt like i had violated myself. it was not pretty.

so now we do a tree and that's about it. sometimes we put some lights in the windows if i can remember, but usually i don't.

i can't stand country kitchy decor like the stuff that exploded in my home that first year. maybe it's just PTSD from that unfortunate holiday season. we do love decorating the tree with nat king cole playing in the background, eating cookies and drinking coffee...with a roaring fire going...those are lovely memories. but in the rest of my house, it might as well be september. no indication of holiday "cheer" except on the faces of my wee ones.
#36 of 45 Old 12-22-2008, 07:10 PM

I don't like it, so we don't have any.
(Well, we don't really do christmas either, not religious.)

But it's such a relief to get home if we've been out theese days, bc here there are no stupid, ugly decorations. I love it here! Free zone.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#37 of 45 Old 12-24-2008, 11:04 AM

We only have a few. 3 on the counter and then the tree. I can't WAIT to have it gone! The tree isn't even in a room where I go (we put it up so I didn't have to be telling the kids not to touch it all day) but even the 3 little ones on the counter are driving me bananas! I'm also tired of all the wrapped gifts in my closet!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#38 of 45 Old 12-24-2008, 10:58 PM

I took our Yule tree down today. Dh complained, but the Solstice was Sunday and I just couldn't take it anymore. Ah...relief!

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#39 of 45 Old 12-25-2008, 12:49 PM

I think I am going to take everything, except the tree, down this Saturday.

Since dh, ds#1 and ds#2 are in charge of the tree now, they can take it down whenever it suits them...as long as it is down before January 2nd.

I really didn't put out too much this year. Enough to make it festive, but not so much that it will be a chore to take it all down. Maybe I found the balance finally.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#40 of 45 Old 12-25-2008, 08:07 PM

I like tasteful Christmas decor. My DH, on the other hand, adores the most useless, tacky, enormous, ear jangling holiday themed gew gaws he can drag home If it's big, lumpily made, sheds little bits, plays tinny carols incessantly, has flashing lights, glitter, real feathers (angels, you know) and/or fiber optics, he's in love... apparently, it's hereditary, as a couple of days ago, his dad brought over a bunch of stuff (from RiteAid - 50% off!!!) & it's just dreadful - a motion detector Santa thingy (which only detects sometimes) that sort of plays Santa Claus is Coming to Town, whilst dropping bits of twigs & fake holly, & some similar items. DH also loves little Thomas Kincade villages that plug in, plus little other table cluttering scenes (fortunately, he bought these for his mother).

Do we just live with all this stuff in the interests of holiday peace, or is there any way to tactfully suggest that we don't need more such items?

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#41 of 45 Old 12-25-2008, 10:31 PM

Ours came down tonight and is now back in the attic! I feel SO much better!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#42 of 45 Old 12-26-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
Ours came down tonight and is now back in the attic! I feel SO much better!

I know the feeling
#43 of 45 Old 12-26-2008, 12:55 PM

DH went to work this morning and the kids are in pjs, watching a dvd, and eating cake for breakfast plus power bars. Whatever, after all the eating they are sick of it! I need to get to the store for everyday food.

So....

I TOOK DOWN THE TREE WHO HOOOOOOOO!!!!! :

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#44 of 45 Old 12-26-2008, 02:17 PM

I took down everything last night, except the tree. We just got it two days ago, so I'm not sick of that yet. I told them it HAS to be down before NYE - this weekend preferrably.

I also culled down the ornaments, to about 12 special ones. : And got rid of a bunch of other arts and crafts misc stuff.
#45 of 45 Old 12-27-2008, 01:32 AM

Mine's gone too! Last year I pared everything down (except Christmas) to one box or less. I like (this year) how Halloween all fit on the top shelf in my living room in a lovely display. I am considering doing this for all the holidays now. A nice, out-of-the-way display that doesn't bug my senses I am undecided about the tree though. I guess I can leave it packed in the garage indefintely

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page