Fess up! Who doesn't like Xmas Decor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I realized in my other thread I really dont like christmas decor other than the tree and my cloth Etsy banner. I cant wait to take it all down. I do it only for my kids. WHEW. I just had a therapy session all by myself. tee hee. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We celebrate Yule, but yeah....feeling the same over here. I cannot wait until we take the Yule tree down. And while I love receiving holiday cards in the mail, I'm ready for those to go, too.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ah boheime...a soul sister lol
Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 PM

hehehe, we just started decorating our tree today otherwise, I would be so burnt out already. This way, it stays fun cause it's only up for a few days, not a full month!

(And, it is first day of xmas vacation from school- well, snow day and tomorrow is first "real" day off)

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 12-18-2008, 12:14 AM

I put up minimal decorations. Our (small) tree. A vase of pine branches (free from the tree place) that I decorate in the same manner as I do the tree, and place in the center of the dining table.

The end, lol.

I used to put stockings up ... but, to be honest, I couldn't stand the sight of them. I like clean, simple, minimal lines. So, when something disrupts this - I have to get rid of it.

We don't have a child yet. But, we're hoping to be on a sailboat by then, sailing around. At which point, we'll be blessedly free of the holiday decorations. We'll leave the holiday fun for the grandparents with which saturate our child. This is our master plan at least, subject to change of course.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 12-18-2008, 04:12 AM

We will decorate this weekend, and everything comes down about 10 days later. I Love holiday deocrations for a bried time every year.

I would be tickled to spend Christmas eve decorating and then taking it all down a week later.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 AM

I don't like it. We just do a tree, and we have a few niknaks that the kids like to play with (snow globe, nutcracker) and that is it. By New Years the tree is down and the cards are being recycled. My favorite part is how big my tiny living room seems after everything is gone!!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:02 PM

You know, I don't mind Christmas decor per se, the problem is SO MUCH Christmas decor!

Even though I have been decluttering our stash, it's still too much. And the tree...though it is BEAUTIFUL when it's done...is too big.

I would love a much smaller tree, fewer lights, and a few favorite decorations out on display. Enough to be festive and cheery, but not so much that it is something I dread putting up or taking down because it is soooo much work.

I am always relieved each year when it is put away and I know that job is done. :

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM

I'm not really into decorations in general. I do not like nic naks or dusting them. Something has to really mean something to me to have it in my house. I have 2 little tornadoes that leave a wide path of destruction and I am just not into setting myself up for a season of exhaustion. We try to live a life without so much stuff and that includes decorations. I am not sure what we would do if dh or children cared about having all of the decorations but they don't. We just spend the season doing special baking and fun stuff.

What we do have ....
We have lights on our porch. We have a tree with lights but I skipped most of the ornaments this year and plan on getting rid of any ornaments that do not have a special meaning. I have a wooden nativity that sets up out of reach and the girls have a kid friendly one. The girls have a couple of those singing snowmen and penguins. The front door has a hanging decoration. That is it, everything else has gone out of my house.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:37 PM

oh, I definitely do not like a bunch of clutterish christmas deco...

I mean, my mom has collected quite a bit over the years and I loved the transistion our house made before christmas, from hand towels to the plastic santa on the front porch but I think she packed up other stuff to make room so it wasn't too overwhelming. Like, cleaned off the hearth to put candles and stockings up.

We have very little for deco, partly because we haven't bought or been given that much since we started our family and partly because some of what we do have is still in containers in the garage. I pulled out very little and may look and see what else there is there this weekend (like the nativity set because it was a gift from my mom and she's coming to visit).

We have two trees, one in the living room and the other in the family room, red kitchen towels and a matching oven mit, a few candles that my MIL brought me, a snowman plate from her as well and a wreath on the front door that DH made me out of tree trimmings I love it. Oh and the kids stockings are up and we do have a smaller tree in the master bedroom with one strand of lights on it.

I have been bugging DH to put up the icicle lights outside but since he hasn't by now, we may not.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 PM

I have very few Christmas decoration. The first two years we were married I tried to do a lot more decorating but since I had to do most of the work I havent' bothered. Until DD came along we hadn't put up a tree in years. Now we have a little 3 foot tree. I was thinking it was so cute maybe we need a slightly bigger tree and then DD pulled it over.

The one thing I always do is get a fresh pine wreath for the front door. I love the smell.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I'm like Sailor, getting by on as little as possible. MIL and SIL all keep seasonal "decorations" in storage and they rotate the decor on their living room shelves--i.e. Thanksgiving pilgrim and turkey ornaments, cheesy signs that say "Spring" on them with fake daffy-dils . . . I dunno. It just isn't my thing.

Since I started frequenting this forum, I've developed the mentality that if you use it so rarely that you have to keep it in storage, go ahead and questions whether you should keep it at all.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 12-18-2008, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm really there with you.

We put up very little this year.

Dh put hooks in the living room ceiling and we strung white xmas lights around the perimeter of the room and around our big mirror. I love the look of this and will probably keep it up a long time after Christmas. Maybe till the start of Lent...

And we have an advent wreath and a tree with lights only on it. Oh, and a broken fibreoptic poinsetta that dd insisted on getting out, and I am planning to chuck it after Christmas.

I was planning to add the ornaments this weekend, when my mom comes to visit, but I'm really loving the clean look of the lights only. I know my ddage10 loves a lot of the ornaments but there will be a big culling when we do unpack them. The only ones I care about keeping are the ones my kids made or I made with them. And the ones given to my by special relatives who have passed. Small % of the total.

We'll do stockings on Christmas Eve, but I'm looking at the giant rubbermaid bins of Christmas etc. and thinking "why even keep it?"

I'd like a smaller tree, too.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I love greens -- holly, pine, magnolia. I have the mantle covered in greens and it makes me so happy.

But all of the reindeer, plastic Santas, rudolf, candy canes, etc, etc, etc makes me ill. Just too much.

But a lovely sprig of holly berries.... :

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wanted to add a little vent here....

I just fished a metalic confetti Christmas tree shape out of my toddler's mouth

Someone sent me a card full of the confetti that spills out when you open it....I thought I'd thrown it all in the garbage, but it spilled everywhere and I missed a bit in my couch cushion.

Why even buy the stuff? Who LIKES opening cards full of messy glitter? And why send it to my house when the person who sent me the card knows I have babies and toddlers?

Love the person who took the time to write and send the card, but stuff like this tests that love
Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

We took down our christmas village. This is the last yr for it unless 8yr old wants it in his room. Next yr we are only doing a tree, outside lights, stockings and my eight small Clothtique santas. Thats it besides the real ponseitta and amarlyis (i cant spell tonight at all) and norfolk pine. Love the real stuff like our tree and the plants. HATE the rest. I think I have issues, LOL. Today at work as a joke all the nurses I work with decorated my locker with all these ornaments, stockings, garlands, etc because they know how much I hate it. LOL
Old 12-19-2008, 06:08 AM

I love looking at it -- but its a lot of work - we have a 4000 sq ft home and I decorate all 3 floors -- with a full christmas tree on each floor. Takes me a whole week to do the entire house. I usually start the 3rd week in November so I am done by December 01st.

However, I do it all by myself and it was just too much this year. I think I will re-evaluate for next year and keep it more simple
Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 AM

I'm with you on that one :

I would love to not even put up a tree. But I don't live alone...

We have no tree up yet and we won't put it up till christmas eve if I can help it. We haven't even bought one yet
It will come down before New Years Eve for sure.

I do have very little decorations. But the few I have I'm ready to take down right after Christmas.

I did give some of my stuff to my mom. I didn't use it anymore and she liked it.
You just gave me an idea of what to go through today though....
I have some stuff put away that I don't plan on hanging up anymore.

BTW I can totally understand you taking down that village.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 PM

I get sick of seeing the tacky Christmas decorations everywhere....but this is the first year we've actually had a tree (really the first year in my adult life I've had a tree) and I am loving it! We got a pretty small tree, and we have one string of lights and very minimal decorations, mostly just a few special ornaments dh got in Germany last month. And we have a couple stockings, but that's it. There's something to be said for keeping it all really simple. It looks so much better, and there's less stuff to set up, take down, and store.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 12-19-2008, 12:50 PM

fessing up! I cannot wait until the 26th or 27th when I can take this crap down!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 12-19-2008, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I really really can't stand the clutter of xmas, or the consumerism either.Last year we put up the tree xmas eve after dd went to sleep and took it down 24 hours later. It gave the whole thing some mystery. We plan to do the same this year. With 2 kids and a cat in a small apartment I really can't handle defending the tree for very long.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Amy-sheepishly grinning...I take it all down as soon as we get home on the 25th. Please dear ones, don't tell me I have to leave it up a moment longer lol
Old 12-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
Amy-sheepishly grinning...I take it all down as soon as we get home on the 25th. Please dear ones, don't tell me I have to leave it up a moment longer lol
If I had my way, I would do the same! But I am usually tired and emotionally drained by the evening of the 25th so that would be physically impossible. But that sudden burst of energy on the 26th (and DH working that day) it is coming down!!! :

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 12-21-2008, 12:24 AM

I bring out my holiday movies, books and games. Plus a couple toys for the kids to play with - like a playset of the nativity scene, a Mickey Mouse house with singing characters, and two Pooh figures dressed up for Christmas.

Other than that, I have a stocking hanging on the end of the stairs railing in memory of a friend who passed, a set of jingle bells on the doorknob and a glass mason jar with pretty lights that my daughter made one year.

We haven't gotten our tree yet, which I'm sad about - usually we get it the first weekend in December and I enjoy it for three weeks or so. I love a lit up Christmas tree at night. That said, everything comes down Christmas night after the kids go to bed.

Last year, I culled our ornament collection and really only kept the kids first ornaments, any cute ones they made and one my sister gave me last year with everyones name on it. Just enough to fit in a quart size ziploc baggie.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:31 AM

Other than the tree I'm with you. It's just so much fun watching kids decorate a tree. And I love the lights (on the tree) and how warm it makes the room feel at night time.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:48 AM

I hear you.

I looooove Christmas lights and we have them strung on our balcony and on our tree, which is decorated beautifully with jewel toned colors.

Other than that, we have a wreath on our door----and voila we're done and everyone's happy. :

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:17 AM

i wouldn't say i don't like the decorations. they are great...in theory. but in reality my house looks...dishevelled (however you spell it) no matter how clean it is it looks cluttered, things have had to be moved to get the tree in the living room, there are pine needles and pieces of green grland everywhere, and lets not forget the christmas ornaments my almost 2 year old insists on taking off the tree and throwing around the house.

that being said i do love the holidays and i enjoy the decor, i just need to find a way to decorate that doesn't make me have a panic attack and feel so out of order.
happy holidays ladies :
Old 12-21-2008, 12:46 PM

I like Christmas and other holiday decorations...at other people's houses!

I don't have the need for any decorations of any kind. I do have a few keepsake/special ornaments that I like and keep, but usually don't display them.

I don't really put up decorations ever and I'm fine with that. I don't like the clutter.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:50 PM

We do a Yule tree and sometimes lights around a room. Thats it. I really don't do knickknacks at all so decorations are minimal.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 12-21-2008, 03:44 PM

i was having an internal dialogue with myself earlier about how it would be okay to start taking down some Christmas decorations down NOW, on the 21st because it's almost Christmas and we have enjoyed them for weeks now...LOL. I won't do it but it is tempting. I have a major decluttering bug this weekend and would LOVE to see the house perfect and regular!

User Tag List