Freecycle vent - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 12-19-2008, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My biggest pet peeve about freecycle & craigslist (when listing free things) are all the questions.... what color is it... it's the FREE color.... what condition is it in ..... did you not read my listing?..... can you take a picture of it... no, it's FREE, take it or don't. ARGH.

I don't even bother replying when people ask a million questions. Just come and get it and stop your bitch'n.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Wow! I can't believe some of the requests I'm seeing posted, they are incredibly rude. Maybe I should ask for a million bucks or something

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#33 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystiquesmom View Post
Wow! I can't believe some of the requests I'm seeing posted, they are incredibly rude. Maybe I should ask for a million bucks or something
Our freecycle has a rule against asking for money

Again, I'll say - this is why I don't get freecycle emails! I only look at it online, to avoid that aggravation!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#34 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post

Again, I'll say - this is why I don't get freecycle emails! I only look at it online, to avoid that aggravation!
Ah. I never use it, mostly because hearing these and other comments like what is in this thread have turned me off completely.

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#35 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post

I read it online too but it still irritates me!
#36 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystiquesmom View Post
Ah. I never use it, mostly because hearing these and other comments like what is in this thread have turned me off completely.
I guess you have to decide "what" you want to do with your stuff. I really do enjoy freecycle, and I've had friends in other parts of the country who do, too.

Yes, there are idiots and jerks in this world, but so what? If I allow myself to be annoyed, that is only "my" problem. I have complete control over how I feel about it.

I find it waaaaaaay more annoying to deal with idiots and jerks in person, such as at a garage sale. So, I've decided that I'd rather give away my stuff instead. And, since I've worked in the resale business for the past 7 years, I know how much crap gets "donated" to them, so I'm very selective about what I'll give to charities.

That leaves curbside or freecycle or TRASH. I have had such great success with freecycle, so I keep doing it! It's obvious that not everybody has the same results, and I sure don't blame folks for getting annoyed. But ........

--janis
Purging My Life One Box At A Time!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#37 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 05:15 PM

I'm going to say this because I have been on Freecycle for over 2 yrs. I love it! If my place wasn't so hard to get to with all the construction going on I would post alot more items. Now here's the but... I have noticed that people on Freecycle are VERY rude. From the no shows to people asking for outrageous things, my favorite is when people offer something and do not bother to post when its taken and ignore inqueries as to if its still available. I feel like I'm more than curtious in my responses and questions but whats really wrong with asking a question about an item? I would rather ask first than waste time (both parties) gas and energy in going to pick up an item that I'm just going to have to turn around and repost. It is my honest opinion that FREE=RUDE Whenever something is offered for free then you have everyright to be rude its really dissapointing. Freecycle is a wonderful idea but it has horrible sideaffects
#38 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Although I started this thread, I actually like freecycle too but sometimes the rudeness, ridiculous requests, no shows, endless emails asking very specific questions just bother me and I wanted to get it off my chest! I mean, I'm not going to have therapy to deal with it but I just needed to say it!

What I often find is that I end up in quandries with it - who to give to, whether to hold onto something for a few days if I don't hear straight back etc etc. I probably overthink it. For example,

Wednesday just gone a woman in the next village to me posted "WANTED: a DVD player." Well my grandmother just bought us a new one (don't ask me why, our old one was fine) so I wrote and offered her our old one. She responded right away and we agreed she would come on Thurs at 5p.m. Well that time came and went. I checked my email and she had written at 5 45 saying "I just remembered I was meant to come over, I feel ill can I come on Saturday instead?"

Okay, well I wrote back, yes of course, Saturday is fine, please just let me know a time when you can. She responded that she'll email me Fri night with a time. I haven't heard back. It's now early Saturday evening here so today's a write off for collection.

We are trying to tidy our house before Christmas so the question is do I:

a)pester her for a definite time/a "no thanks"
b)offer it to the group
c)stick it in the loft because I feel bad about offering it since she may be genuinely sick

I dunno
#39 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 05:50 PM

I feel the exact same way... like I want to offer something and I have to really think Hmmmm maybe I should just bite the bullet and bring this to the Salvation army instead (Although they charge WAY too much for their stuff)

For the woman with the DVD player I would email her and say "I have to have this item out of my house by x time if you would like to come get it OR send someone for it its yours If you don't want to get it by this time I'm offering it to the group." Its polite and gives her the option to still come and get it and if she says I'll be there at that time and she's not just post it to the group. I get such guilt over posting and going on to the next person that I have nightmares.
#40 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Erin's suggested email is perfect!

I don't get many no-shows, but when they happen, i do get irked.

Right now, being 40 weeks pregnant and still nesting in a big way, I've updated my freecycle offers with a stipulation:

*please note these stipulations*
I am at the end of my pregnancy, so items must be picked up promptly.
I reserve the right to go into labor at any time without any warning to you.
I don't do phone calls.

(I always say I don't do phone calls. You'd be surprised how many people reply to something and say "call me at xxx" - or maybe you wouldn't be surprised ... depending on my mood, they either get deleted or I reply as I normally would "the item has been claimed, you are a back-up")

--janis
Purging My Life One Box At A Time!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#41 of 52 Old 12-21-2008, 12:52 PM

I used to do Freecycle, but I got annoyed with it, too. Now I usually toss stuff or give it to charity. I tend to use stuff until I don't think ANYONE wants it (and I also buy a lot second hand, too, so by the time we are done with something it's usually REALLY worked over! ).

However, when I was on Freecycle, I once posted a wanted asking for the name/number of someone who could repair a DVD player. When I first joined, one of the rules was that you couldn't OFFER your services doing repair, but you could post a wanted about that because it was still keeping something out of the landfill.

I got a nasty email from the mod telling me that was not an appropriate post and I should just post the dvd player as an offer. Umm, except that I was following the rules of the list and if it could be fixed, I didn't want to give it away, I wanted to fix it and keep using it! She got increasingly nasty so I just stopped using that particular list (in my area, but honestly, most posts were WANTED anyway, so it was a pretty one sided list)
#42 of 52 Old 12-21-2008, 07:13 PM

I genuinely do quite well with freecycle, But one time I did have someone who wanted 2 of the items (X & Y) I posted. One (X) was already promised so I said she could have the 1 item (Y)

Later in the day I get an email from lady who I had originally promised (X) item to saying that the item wasn't there. I just know the 2nd lady took both items. Of course, I have No proof, but it really chapped my arse that someone would deliberatly take something that wasn't for them. (I did have both items clearly marked for who they were & they were wrapped in bags to hide the items.)

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#43 of 52 Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 PM

I have given away soooo much on freecycle and had not many problems.

However, I cannot GET anything on freecycle! About 3 years ago, I gave away all my infant daughters stuff, clothes, bassinet, swing, yadda, yadda. I've given away so much since then, too.

Now, I've posted asking for a few things. Nope. Nadda. Not gonna happen.

Seems people here are great at taking. Giving? Meh, not so much!

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#44 of 52 Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Asher that's annoying : By comparison I shouldn't be complaining. On Saturday I picked up a lovely highchair for my DD. I got it from a woman I have some kids clothes to a few years ago - she remembered and gave it to me as a result. Nice

Today I have had some successes - the DVD woman collected and was a really nice lady. Another woman collected my baby bouncing seat and took back her stage 2 car seat which she gave me a few years ago. Her daughter is expecting so I offered her it back! Cleared a space here!!:

I have someone coming to take my double pushchair on Tues hopefully. I feel a bit teary letting it go as it's really nice AND it's me admitting my baby days are done but I don't have a big enough house to hold onto things out of sentiment.
#45 of 52 Old 12-22-2008, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I have given away soooo much on freecycle and had not many problems.

However, I cannot GET anything on freecycle! About 3 years ago, I gave away all my infant daughters stuff, clothes, bassinet, swing, yadda, yadda. I've given away so much since then, too.

Now, I've posted asking for a few things. Nope. Nadda. Not gonna happen.

Seems people here are great at taking. Giving? Meh, not so much!
This is my new take on Freecycle. I'll give and give, but I am not dealing with trying to find anything there.

And I have learned to be serious and kind of mean when dealing with folks. I am giving things away FOR FREE. I won't deal with you crap, your sob story, your lame emails begging for stuff, your flaky no shows...none of it.

I offer, you accept, we set a time and you show up. Anything that deviates really ticks me off.

Yah, I am the Freecycle hardass.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#46 of 52 Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Yesterday or the day before, I got a message from Freecycle asking if there are any "True Christians" here. Poster said that his/her neighbor had had a house fire, and lost everything. They said that they didn't have anything to give, but they were going to give something, so did any other "True Christians" have anything to give to neighbor people? Um, first, I'm always confused as to what people mean by "True Christian", and second, some people who are Christians (True Christians, I don't know, as I'm not sure what one is.) don't have *anything* to give, and *mean* they don't have anything to give. All our clothes are clothes we use (DH has 2 pairs of pants, I have 3 or 4 skirts. We both have 3 or 4 shirts. This LO has a lot of clothes, so I guess I could offer them some of those, but what if they don't have a baby who could wear them?) I dunno, something about the "True Christians... I don't have anything and am giving, I'm a "True Christian" if you don't give you're not thing.......

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#47 of 52 Old 12-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
Yah, I am the Freecycle hardass.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#48 of 52 Old 12-22-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick's mummy View Post
Yay, more venting, we're getting there now!!!!

Our Freecycle has also had loads of wanteds reecently, including a guy who wrote about 7 wanteds in a row asking for very specific items like:

WANTED: a computer gaming chair in black leather
WANTED: a small desk and chair for my children's playroom - must be x cm by y cm and white or beige
WANTED: silver washing machine, must be new and in good condition

I'm serious. There were about 7 requests.
:
oh this one cracks me up!!!!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#49 of 52 Old 12-22-2008, 01:43 PM

once I recieved a lot of diapers from a couple of mamas who knew I was short on money. they gave them to me free so I could start my collection. it was SUCH a blessing!! when my duaghter out grew them I offered them on a list to go to a family in finanical need. I specified to let it please go to someone who really needed them b/c these were given to me when I was in need. if a mama can afford to by them elsewhere, please let it go for someone who can't afford them... etc.

well someone eagerly took them up saying she really needed them. the next day she showed up at my house with her BRAND new van with dvd player, and just about everything else a van could have. she said her husband spoils her with all sorts of gadgets and trinkets but she doesn't want him to be angry abour her spending even more money on diapers, so if she gets them free he wont get angry. basically, she was getting the diaers for free so he would still let her get some other "fun stuff" she wanted.

(meanwhile I didn't even own a car at this point and I lived with my parents)

I didn't know what to say. I wanted to say "nevermind" but she was at my house. it was so weird. I was dumbfounded. what is wrong with people?

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#50 of 52 Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Henny Penny I feel like that about my children's baby clothes. We are done but I only want to give them to someone who could really use them and would not turn their nose up at little imperfections (since most were secondhand when I got them and I've had 3 kids wear them, it's going to happen..)

Any more amusing/ranty anecdotes? I just laughed my ass off re reading these!
#51 of 52 Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 PM

I haven't used freecycle but I once sold some Green Mountain prefolds really cheap locally and this woman had a million questions: Do you think they would work on a 3 year-old? Would they work inside a Fuzzi Bunz? etc. This was after I had already included a link to the GMD website. I felt like saying "Umm... its a large rectangle of cotton for $1, not a major life decision."
#52 of 52 Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 PM

When we moved I downsized 4 large boockshelves worth of books into one small bookshelf. I gave away boxes of books to friends and still had a very large box left. I Freecycled it. A couple weeks later I went to a community sale that was to benefit my DD's preschool. One of the venders was a bookseller. I started browsing and came upon some books that I used to have. I pointed it out to my DH...then it got really wierd as ALL the books were ones I had owned. Finally I realised that these were the books I had given away on my local Freecycle that clearly states items are not to be picked up for resale. I wouldn't have minded so much if she had read them and then sold them, but to just pick them up for the purpose of re-sale? I was annoyed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page