Where do you store backbacks and bags? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody! We're in a new house, and I'm trying to figure out where everything should go, but I'm stuck on backpacks. We have hooks on the wall behind the front door, but it is a bit too tight for backpacks and daily bags. We also have a hall closet, but right now the floor has a shoe rack with shoes on it and boots, also it isn't a very big closet.

Info about what I'm looking to find a place for. DD1 is in K and she has a kids-sized backpack to hold her school folder and lunchbox. DD2 goes to daycare, and she has a bag that goes to and from daycare with diapers and spare clothes in it. I am a teacher, so I bring a school bag and purse to work each day. DH has a work bag, but he manages to find a hiding place for it each night if he needs to store it. He also has a school backpack that he uses once a week and keeps in the hall closet.

My concern is that they get put on kitchen counters and the dining room table and get moved around as we use those areas as the evening progresses.

I'm looking to hear where you guys keep stuff and if you have any suggestions that I can use.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 11:51 PM

Maybe you could put hooks on the inside of your hall closet and hang the packs there? That wouldn't interfere with the shoe racks, and you could still hang things on the regular closet bar.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

The closet is pretty small, so the arms of the coats hit the door as it closes, there is actually a bar in the doorway of the closet that I couldn't figure out what it was for, until I hung up our winter coats on the rail - its for keeping the sleeves in the closet and not stuck in the door!

There is a shelf at the top, but right now it has outdoor stuff like bike helmets. I would try to use that, but DD1 couldn't get her backpack out.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:17 PM

For bags that get used every day I wouldn't want to store them in a closet. The extra step of even something as simple as opening and closing a door would bug me. Hooks by the door you use, even some pretty hooks on the outside of the closet door would work.

If every thing ends up in the kit/d.r. because of a need to unpack a bag, do homework or other reason. I would put some cute hooks in the kitchen, we have a few small areas that would work. Our cellar door is in the kitchen and we have some wall space next to the fridge.

Organizing a new house can be fun, good luck!

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

Old 12-20-2008, 07:03 PM

We hang school bags from my kids bedposts as soon as thier lunch pails are cleaned out. In the morning we grab them and they stay in the kitchen floor until it is time to leave.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:33 PM

If the hooks you already have are too high for the kids, I'd put another (hopefully identical), directly below them, set of hooks at their level. Then I'd use the high hooks for yourself and your DH (and your bags and purse) then I'd use the lower for the LO's bags. You could also hang a basket on their hooks for scarves, mittens.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:04 PM

We hang our kids bags in their rooms. They each have a shelf thing that has four hooks under it. My dh and my bags go on our floor in our hall closet, but if we didn't have room there we would probably stick them in our closet, or in our garage on a hook.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 12-20-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

For those of you that store in bedrooms, what do you do about things like lunch boxes? I get up at 5 and have everything packed and am gone long before the kids get up with DH at 7:30 - 8. Where do lunchboxes get stored before they go in the backpack?

The hooks in the hallway are right behind the door, so most of the bags couldn't be stored there because the door won't fully open (not much of a problem now, but in nicer weather the door often stays open). I really liked the hooks in the kitchen idea, but DH said no (he's more of a minimalist, and would prefer the stuff stay hidden or out of the way.

Our house just isn't made to stash stuff, I guess... I suppose it will hit me when I find the right spot.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:16 AM

What about a laundry room? That's where all of our bags, backpacks, mittens, scarves, hats, coats, etc. are.

As for lunchboxes, before school they'd go in the fridge (if need be). After school, they get cleaned out and put in the cupboard.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Our laundry room is in the basement, so we're not down there a lot, but I could leave the lunchbox in the fridge... I could keep DD1's backpack in her room. My bag and DD2's bag needs to be kept downstairs I think - DD sleeps with us, so I have to leave the room quietly (ie I try to not have to bring too much in and out) and I have to pack DD2's bag every a.m. because I often dry diapers overnight. Actually, hooks in my garage could work, except our puppy sleeps there and is in a chewing stage.

thanks again for all of the suggestions! :
Old 12-25-2008, 07:21 AM

Another option is a shelf with large baskets that just fit the backpack and other DAILY supplies (lunchbag, etc). The easier it is for kids to reach and the more room you have above the shelf for easy in/out of the bags, the better
Old 12-25-2008, 07:47 AM

I throw them in the hall closet. It's chaotic, but I keep the door closed. It can be a bit of a challenge getting the door closed at times...
Old 12-25-2008, 04:54 PM

we have two closets right off the front entry, one is a double door closet, so it has three door knobs, they get hung on there. when company is coming over, we hide them.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcat View Post
I throw them in the hall closet. It's chaotic, but I keep the door closed. It can be a bit of a challenge getting the door closed at times...
same here sometimes I put them on hangers if the kids won't need them the next day (like now, on winter break) otherwise they just get tossed on top of the pile of shoes in the coat closet. I only have two in school right now.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
a friend with a similar problem got a set of gym lockers and put them right inside the living room from the front door. They're the kind with tall lockers and then a set of baskets between them (we think used for pool stuff once). She labeled them all cute-like after painting them, and really keeps her mess controlled with four kids. Says the kids get it, but it's the adults in the family who forget to put stuff in the lockers.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 PM

We have a set of hooks on the wall of the basement stairs (our basement door is in the kitchen) where we store large shopping bag type cloth bags and heavy backpacks. Then each kid has a hook in the hallway for school backpacks.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:16 PM

We have hooks for bags and coats in the hallway from the side door to the living room: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/

However, I also often toss my bag in this wardrobe, because it's too heavy or bulky to hang in the narrow hallway. DS's bag also goes in the wardrobe on a shelf over the weekend. Our house has no closet on the first floor. http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/
Old 12-27-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas here - I'll be running them by Dh soon as he is the anal one in the the family
Old 12-28-2008, 12:28 AM

We have a 1923 four square style house. Small small front hall -- more of a vestibule than anything else. Coats hang on the wall in the hall. Hats, mittens and scarves get their own box. Bags go into a second box. These are actually in our living room and double as end tables to the couch with a bonus that we open them daily so they don't accumulate crap.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

User Tag List