What to do about old cabbage patch dolls? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-21-2008, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a bunch of old cabbage patch dolls from when I was a kid (early-mid 80's) and there just taking up space but I'm having trouble parting with them out of sentimental value. There not in giftable condition, and the clothes need to be washed, the dolls to for that matter but I don't think you can throw them in the washer you know? I pulled them out a couple of months ago while unpacking and the kids don't play with them so there literally just sitting around taking up space. What to do with them? I don't have time or energy to clean them up either.

Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-21-2008, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well you could pack them away and probably forget they are there as you probably have done until now. Do you think you'll ever get them out again in the future? if the kids don't use them now will they ever? Or will they just stay packed away.
I say if you don't think you will ever get them out again once packed away, then give them away to a charity or shelter/goodwill that has children who would love to play with them. It will make you feel better knowing they went to someone who will enjoy them as you did.

If you really want to keep them you can put them in a vaccume bag and put them away. That is where a few of mine are... vaccumed under my bed. LOL
#3 of 10 Old 12-21-2008, 03:48 AM

maybe try washing one or two of your least favorites, as an expiriment....cold water, gentle setting, air dry? if that goes well go ahead and wash them all but only keep the most favorites, donate or sell the rest
#4 of 10 Old 12-21-2008, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive thrown mine in the washer many a time. They don't get used often by dd, but enough to justify my sentimental attatchment. I think the 'ugs' are the only childhood keepsake I have a strong attatchment to.

Decluttering 500/2010
#5 of 10 Old 12-21-2008, 04:28 PM

I'm giving mine to DDs for Xmas this year - I washed some of them. If they didn't want them, I might keep one or two I REALLY liked and freecycle the rest.
#6 of 10 Old 12-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You could give them away on Freecycle- someobdy else might hae the patience to wash them even if you dont'.

You could put them on a display shelf somewhere if nobody wants to play with them.

You could try selling them on eBay as "vintage cabbage patch dolls"

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#7 of 10 Old 12-21-2008, 06:25 PM

Group them together and take a picture. Then quickly get rid of them and look at the picture when and if you miss them.

Just a thought. I recently had to do this for some dearly beloved shoes that had much sentimental value because of the places I'd been in them but were no longer wearable.

Mother to none, midwife to many .
#8 of 10 Old 12-21-2008, 08:46 PM

DD was begging for one for Christmas, and I happened to find an old one at the salvation army. I threw it in the washer (well, except for the diaper) and dryer then scrubbed the stains off it's head with a little baking soda on a toothbrush. It cleaned up so well it looks like new!

If you would like to gift them to a little girl who would play with them & love them, please PM me

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#9 of 10 Old 12-22-2008, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just spent ten minutes over at Ikea hacker so my head is spinning with ways to "repurpose" them... which doesn't give much of a nod to your sentamental attachment *which I understand and support* but you might find amusing.

Insert a wire skeleton through the back under the clothes and mount on wall with arms out as hooks

sew three or four together at the hands and feet and sew to a weighted base to make a cabbage patch basket

ok, you don't have to tell me, I already know... that was bizarre.

On the more normal side, as the ikea hacker is wearing off...

I think you could "use" one as a seasonal doll, make diff. outfits for diff. holidays and seasons and put on a nature table if you have one.

Or just box them up and put them in the attic... that way you don't have "stuff" around that isn't used or decorative enough to make you go "ah" each time you see it but you aren't giving away something that you might regret.

Ebay is actually selling the heck out of "vintage" cpd's, btw... the anniversary dolls kinda kicked something off I think.
#10 of 10 Old 12-24-2008, 03:30 PM

I would either pack them away, or save one special doll and Freecycle the rest or donate them to charity.

User Tag List