A minute at a time - gets the job done - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 12-31-2008, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenie View Post
I am loving how much I can get done in such a short time! It's been the best motivator for me so far with cleaning. I am not really the best at it.

thats good :

why dont you post what you are able to do in a couple of minutes -- It might help someone else
#32 of 52 Old 12-31-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post
thats good :

why dont you post what you are able to do in a couple of minutes -- It might help someone else
Sorry if any of these are repeats

Pick up the whirlwind of toys in the living room
put a dent in the cleaning out of the fridge
put a dent in the laundry folding
clear off kitchen/bathroom counter/ kitchen table
spray a surface clean (stovetop, counter, etc)
put laundry away
take out garbage
sweep
quick clean up of my son's bedroom
locate a few things to donate to goodwill
put the books back on the bookshelf (my son pulls them all of at least once a day)
quick cleanout of closet

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#33 of 52 Old 12-31-2008, 02:26 PM

Oh I am glad I found this thread! I have been lazy since Christmas and my house shows it! I have tomorrow off of work so I will be doing a whole lot of 2 minute cleaning. I'll post later what I am able to do.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#34 of 52 Old 12-31-2008, 10:50 PM

Let's see, in 2 minutes I can set up the scooba and let it clean the kitchen floor.

In 2 minutes, I can gather all of the dirty laundry and start the washing machine.

In 2 minutes, I can sweep under the kitchen table and wipe it down as well as the booster seats.

In 2 minutes, I can clean both toilets... or one toilet and start on one of the sinks.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#35 of 52 Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Great thread. Of course I won't have time to read it properly until nap time, but I've found that I can get so much done in little chunks during the day -- even with both my wild boys home.
#36 of 52 Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 AM

in 2 minutes I can
Scoop the cat box or
hang up all the coats on the entry way bench and put away the hats and mittens

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#37 of 52 Old 01-01-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Really tired today... however spent 2 minutes unloading dishwasher and 2 minutes loading it up again and turning it on.

not a lot but its better than getting nothing done
#38 of 52 Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well -- My family wanted pasta a for lunch --- so I decided to see how much work I could get done in the kitchen while the water was boiling and the pasta was cooking (approx 15 minutes total) .... well I got my whole kitchen cleaned up and the dishwasher loaded up and turned on !!! ..

Yeah -- Pasta cleaning :
#39 of 52 Old 01-03-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Let's see, in 2 minutes I can set up the scooba and let it clean the kitchen floor.

In 2 minutes, I can gather all of the dirty laundry and start the washing machine.

In 2 minutes, I can sweep under the kitchen table and wipe it down as well as the booster seats.

In 2 minutes, I can clean both toilets... or one toilet and start on one of the sinks.
::
#40 of 52 Old 01-03-2009, 05:24 PM

I just tried this - in 2-minute chunks I was able to:

-take the recycling out (including some boxes I finally broke down)
-switch laundry
-patch a pair of pants!

Thanks for the inspiration! :

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
#41 of 52 Old 01-03-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

One of the reasons I started this thread was that I so easily can feel overwhelmed by the task of cleaning/decluttering .. that I don't want to get started... plus I noticed many posters stating they just didn't have the time to spare..... but who doesn't have 2 minutes.

try really hard not to look at the whole picture -- if its just too overwhelming. Just look at what you can accomplish in a few minutes
#42 of 52 Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

I am so unmotivated today to work on my awful garage.

So I have been doing several 2 minute stints out there .... I have filled 6 garbage bags !!! :

Now --- if the garbage man would just come this week (due to snow he hasn't been here for 3 weeks!! )
#43 of 52 Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Now --- if the garbage man would just come this week (due to snow he hasn't been here for 3 weeks!! )
You must live near me! The pile of garbage and recycling was awful before they finally got here and took it away. No more snow for now, thank goodness, though it was fun while it lasted.

In several two minutes, I:
made the bed and gathered up the dirty laundry.
cleaned the toilet and sink
made DS's bed and folded his pjs
put away toys from living room
picked up hats and scarves by front door
#44 of 52 Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Well -- My family wanted pasta a for lunch --- so I decided to see how much work I could get done in the kitchen while the water was boiling and the pasta was cooking (approx 15 minutes total) .... well I got my whole kitchen cleaned up and the dishwasher loaded up and turned on !!! ..

Yeah -- Pasta cleaning :
This is my favorite way to clean the kitchen! I've gotten so much done just waiting for water to boil.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#45 of 52 Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 PM

Along the pasta water lines, I always unload the dishwasher while I'm waiting for the coffee to brew. I hate unloading the dishwasher, but I always find that when I actually do it, I'm done before the coffee is.
#46 of 52 Old 01-07-2009, 12:15 AM

Yeah, it is amazing what you can accomplish in two-minute increments.

Quote:
Along the pasta water lines, I always unload the dishwasher while I'm waiting for the coffee to brew. I hate unloading the dishwasher, but I always find that when I actually do it, I'm done before the coffee is.
I do this, too.

Today I cleaned out two shelves in our mud room in increments throughout the day. I also did four loads of laundry and made dinner.

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#47 of 52 Old 01-07-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

:
#48 of 52 Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM

thank you for this thread!
today, in 2 minute incriments, I:
-hung laundry
-organized the girl's dressers and put their clothes away
-made draft dodgers for the doors!
-picked the bits of paper off the floor (hoo-ray scissor practice, lol)
-tamed the toys in the living room floor

and I'm not exhausted

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#49 of 52 Old 01-08-2009, 02:17 PM

You can do a lot in 2 minutes...

I've been instituting a "two minute plus carry" routine and I think it helps a lot.

The second I walk into a room, I take 2 minutes to do anything that needs doing (load the dishwasher, wipe off a counter, whatever for 2 minutes). During that 2 minutes, if I see anything that goes in another room, I group or stack the items that need to go. Then I do whatever I came into the room to do in the first place (fix a snack? ). If you have more than 2 minutes, fine. But it's ok to leave things undone. You'll be back.

When I leave the room, I grab an item or two from the "doesn't belong here" group and put them back. (That's the "plus carry" part of the routine).

Start over when you walk into the next room (the 2 minute neatening).

If I pass thru a room, I don't have to do anything.

But if I actually GO in a room, I do the 2 minute thing. Or I shorten it to one minute, if I have kids hanging on me. Try to keep the attitude of seeing how much you can do in the 2 minutes. It's sort of a game.

You would be amazed at how these little "2 minutes plus carry" sessions can improve your house. Also, you really notice how often you move from room to room during the day. A lot! If you go into to a room, and there's nothing to do, good for you.

I know this is a BIT different from the original thread, but since it involves "2 minutes" I thought I would post it.
#50 of 52 Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy123 View Post

I've been instituting a "two minute plus carry" routine and I think it helps a lot.

The second I walk into a room, I take 2 minutes to do anything that needs doing (load the dishwasher, wipe off a counter, whatever for 2 minutes). During that 2 minutes, if I see anything that goes in another room, I group or stack the items that need to go. Then I do whatever I came into the room to do in the first place (fix a snack? ). If you have more than 2 minutes, fine. But it's ok to leave things undone. You'll be back.

When I leave the room, I grab an item or two from the "doesn't belong here" group and put them back. (That's the "plus carry" part of the routine).

But if I actually GO in a room, I do the 2 minute thing. Or I shorten it to one minute, if I have kids hanging on me. Try to keep the attitude of seeing how much you can do in the 2 minutes. It's sort of a game.

You would be amazed at how these little "2 minutes plus carry" sessions can improve your house. Also, you really notice how often you move from room to room during the day. A lot! If you go into to a room, and there's nothing to do, good for you.

I know this is a BIT different from the original thread, but since it involves "2 minutes" I thought I would post it.
:

One of the organizing websites I was on suggested never leaving a room empty handed
#51 of 52 Old 01-09-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
One of the organizing websites I was on suggested never leaving a room empty handed
I do this all. the. time. I don't even WANT to know what my house would look like if I didn't...
But how do I train Dh on that? I swear, he'll make 4 trips to the laundry room for 4 different articles of dirty clothing (that were all in the same room to begin with)...

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#52 of 52 Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy123 View Post

---------

Good ideas here :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page