Handwash v. Dishwasher - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the store the other day, and forgot to pick up dishwasher detergent. Realized it when I went to run a load of dishes and used up the last of it right after getting home. Well, not wanting to run out and buy some--lazy and bad weather, I started to just handwash the dishes. (Good thing, or the counter would be overrun with dirty dishes and we'd have nothing to eat from or cook with). It would only take me five minutes to get them washed and put away. Compared to using the dishwasher, which I have to wash the dishes anyways to ensure there is absolutely no food encrusted on the dishes (or there are ickies all over the dishes--you can always tell when DH does the dishes , load them, run them, and then put them away.

Why did I buy more detergent today? Just because we *have* a dishwasher? I may primarily handwash and save the dishwasher for "big" cleanup jobs or to have my family use the dishwasher as a dirty dish repository.
#2 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 07:17 PM

I found that when the dishwasher was broken our counter stayed cleaner because I'd wash things right away, knowing I'd have ot do it eventually. When our dw is working, it seems like it's always clean and full, so things get piled on the counter awaiting its unloading and reloading. By the time it gets reloaded it's full again! Don't get me wrong, I like having it, but it was a weird thing to realize. My procrastination habit wasn't as bad when it was all handwash. It does help to have a dish rack that you love permanently set up.
#3 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Our dishwasher is horrible. I could run a clean plate through it and it would come out dirty. We handwash everything and use it as a big drying rack.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#4 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
We handwash everything and use it as a big drying rack.
That's exactly what we do too.
#5 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
Our dishwasher is horrible. I could run a clean plate through it and it would come out dirty.
This made me laugh!

We had a great dishwasher, but its dying - the racks are breaking and the dishes aren't getting as clean as they used to, plus there is always water in the bottom after the cycle - its almost like having to run each load twice after washing the dishes before putting them in. I don't want to buy another one. Maybe this one will turn into a big drying rack...
#6 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 11:05 PM

I would die without my dishwasher. I haaaate doing dishes by hand. I think I'd rather do laundry by hand. In our old house, before we had a dishwasher, the dishes would pile up sky high before I'd finally bribe Dh to do them for me. I'm so thankful we have a dishwasher now!
#7 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
I would die without my dishwasher. I haaaate doing dishes by hand. I think I'd rather do laundry by hand.
no kidding I even hate doing dishes with a dishwasher. I actually wish we had two with the amount of dishes we dirty nowdays.

I do have a good, newer model though that cleans very well, is quick and energy efficient. (oh and we use ecover tablets, so earth friendly)

when we lived in a house w/out one years ago my mom bought us a portable machine that attached to the faucet. Otherwise I would have probably resorted to paper dishes (and I hate the waste, but I hate washing dishes even more)

I can see it being not so bad for a family of 2-3 but any more than that it would be a lot of work, IMO.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 20 Old 12-24-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
I would die without my dishwasher. I haaaate doing dishes by hand. I think I'd rather do laundry by hand. In our old house, before we had a dishwasher, the dishes would pile up sky high before I'd finally bribe Dh to do them for me. I'm so thankful we have a dishwasher now!
:

I would be miserable without mine. I get stuff stuck on sometimes. If I use ecover tablets, I rarely get anything stuck on.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#9 of 20 Old 12-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Supposedly handwashing uses more water, but of course the dishwasher uses electricity and may liberate toxins from the water. So for me it is a toss up. We have a new dishwasher (new to us, I got it at scratch and dent), if I didn't have it, I would get too overwhelmed. I agree with the PP who said they would rather wash laundry by hand. That is me too!
#10 of 20 Old 12-24-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
Supposedly handwashing uses more water, but of course the dishwasher uses electricity and may liberate toxins from the water. So for me it is a toss up. We have a new dishwasher (new to us, I got it at scratch and dent), if I didn't have it, I would get too overwhelmed. I agree with the PP who said they would rather wash laundry by hand. That is me too!
I've heard this before, too. I am pretty efficient at doing dishes by hand, so I think I might use slightly more energy w/my dishwasher...but it works so well and is so much easier. I never pre-rinse, just stick them in with a tiny amount of detergent and run it on the smallest cycle. Some things are just worth it for me.

Mommy to kids

#11 of 20 Old 12-24-2008, 07:31 PM

If you have to wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher anyway, definitely don't use the dishwasher. Maybe you could even replace it with a set of drawers or something.
#12 of 20 Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 PM

I'm another one who would kill myself if I had to go back to handwashing. We only have a portable dishwasher. . .and even though it takes up space in my teeny kitchen/dining room combo, I don't care. I would have babies with it if I could, I love it so much
#13 of 20 Old 12-24-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I would have babies with it if I could, I love it so much
: That's how I feel too! I love the dishwasher. I never ever pre-rinse anything, run the shortest cycle, no heated dry, use Ecover tabs, etc, so I don't feel bad about it. I hate handwashing with a passion, and when we haven't had a dishwasher, we rarely have clean dishes either.
#14 of 20 Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 PM

Our dishwasher is broken and it is the. bane. of. my. existence.

If other people would do dishes, I say go for it, but I'm the only one who washes around here

babyf.gif

#15 of 20 Old 12-25-2008, 10:03 AM

We have a diswasher but I went a week or two hand washing, only, just for fun.

What I discovered was that things went great as long as things were washed as soon as we were done using them. Also, for us it would work only if we had VERY few dished. Loved it!... But then I let the dished get piled up once and back to the dishwasher we went.

If we had my little dream home in the woods, I would do without to save space.

BTW, I read about this and measured and it seems that I could use a bit less water by hand washing. However, I am in Europe and have no idea if the dishwashers there use more or less water than here.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#16 of 20 Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 AM

Our dishwasher died a couple weeks ago and we've been doing dishes by hand. I actually am finding I prefer it. We stay on top of the dishes more, knowing how much work it would be if we skipped even one meal. We might replace it but only once we can save enough to buy it without credit, so it'll be a long time.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#17 of 20 Old 12-25-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I've heard this too.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's true for a lot of people who have to "rinse" (read: wash) their dishes before loading them in the dishwasher.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#18 of 20 Old 12-25-2008, 07:31 PM

I find that my kitchen is much less cluttered using the dishwasher. Dirty dishes go in there instead of sitting in my sink, on my counters, etc. I always start a load of dishes at night before I go to bed, unload them in the morning when I first wake up, and then have an empty dishwasher into which I put the dirties for the day. My whole kitchen is actually a much more pleasant place in which to be because it's so much easier to keep the place clean without the clutter of dirty dishes. And for me, when my kitchen is clean, so goes the rest of my house.

I heart my dishwasher!
#19 of 20 Old 12-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
If you have to wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher anyway, definitely don't use the dishwasher. Maybe you could even replace it with a set of drawers or something.
i would love to reclaim the space my dishwasher takes up, and i do "prewash" my dishes, but i still like it better than completely washing by hand. i've never had a dishwasher until we moved into this house in the spring. i just half-fill a dish pan with hot, soapy water (so, maybe a gallon?) - it's not like the water is running. i wipe the gunk off, put the dishes in and run a "light wash" cycle. i can leave the dishes to be put away in the morning without having stuff all over my counters. i prefer this to wash-rinse-stack-dry-put away all before the boys' bedtime, or wash-rinse-stack and leave them in the rack overnight to dry. just me.
#20 of 20 Old 12-27-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
That's exactly why I have a dishwasher. I know for a fact that I use more water--and more power, because I insist on such hot water--when washing by hand. I use the eco save cycle, and I don't have to worry my germ phobic mind about whether it's clean or not. I just tell myself the dishwasher's done it for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page