Post Christmas PURGE! the race is on! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 261 Old 12-25-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Okay now that Christmas is over and I know what everyone got my family I am ready to PURGE some stuff.

SO.....I want to recycle, donate, or dispose of 1000 items as QUICKLY as possible...starting now.....anyone want to join me?

So far I have 10 magazines to donate to the library.
and 3 items of clothes to be used for rags.

13/1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 261 Old 12-25-2008, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so with you. I was beside myself when we received a pile of books and two big gift cards to bookstores, after bowing out of all gift exchanges. The plan is to donate them straight to the library. But there're so many toys and other things to clear out! My dreams of monastic simplicity will have to wait awhile.
--
AnnaArcturus
#3 of 261 Old 12-25-2008, 08:17 PM

I am totally in!
#4 of 261 Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 PM

I'm in. Trouble is, most of the stuff I need to get rid of are small mismatched toys. Not really good enough to donate. I don't even know anyone who want them.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#5 of 261 Old 12-25-2008, 09:34 PM

Our thrift stores take those. They group them up into goodie bags and sell them like that. I would just donate them!
#6 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 12:07 AM

1000 seems so overwhelming to me! I'll try for 100

Keep me motivated mamas...I've got to tame the clutter beast!

Bellevuemama

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#7 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 12:10 AM

Stuff is going out this weekend.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#8 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 AM

I am so in. I have been decluttering all year but haven't made a dent! I have a rubbermaid bin full of magazines I have been putting off taking to our local library as they won't take them all at once, I need to just bite the bullet and bring them in and maybe drop some off at local dr offices and such. I also have an ongoing bin of things in the kitchen that I put items in that need to be donated.
#9 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 05:13 AM

I'm planning on going through DS's toys this weekend and getting rid of a ton.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#10 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 AM

I'm in on this . I already have 4 bins of toys/books/stuff in the garage ready to take to Goodwill. I'll have to estimate the numbers there, because I'm not going to unbox them . Next step, the dreaded closet under the stairs.... (cue creepy music)

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#11 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Right now I got two huge garbage bags full of clothes-they've been bagged up for a while, so I'll just count them as two, about 30 records xp took home with him, about 20 videos he took home with him, and 15 more pieces of clothing. 67/1000
#12 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Ha! I all ready started.

I freecycled a GIANT tv and a DVD player that we haven't been using.

And then I had a stroke of genius. The guy who came to pick up the tv is a minister and was looking for things to give to his parish kids. I took a whole car load of xmas gifts that my kids were given. My family is well-intentioned, but they send oddball stuff that is never age appropriate. This year is was giant plastic, riding toys made for 3-5 year olds. My kids are well over that age.

So, I just loaded it all directly into my van and dropped it off at this guy's house. Beautiful! None of it made it into my house. I think this is my new favorite skill -- just don't let the stuff in in the first place.

Must keep cleaning!

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#13 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 12:02 PM

Ok, I am tickled pink with a sense of my own genius right now (go ahead and burst my bubble)! I'd been working towards extreme simplicity which meant paring down my massive book and DVD vice to a tiny handful, when the holidays hit and I receive three new books and two huge gift certificates for Barnes & Noble, plus another matching gift certificate to the same store coming this weekend. I'd already decided to turn those gift certificates into items donated to our library, since their budget is totaled, and lo and behold: B&N online is doing 40% off all its A&E box sets! That means I can treat my library and all the families in it to a box set of their Dickens, Bronte, and Austen adaptations, or maybe Poirot! I am feeling so beside myself with joy right now, I think that these gift cards just went from the WORST possible gift for me to the BEST! I wonder how the relatives will react when they see how happy I am because of their gift... and hear why!!
--
AnnaArcturus

PS, That's wonderful about donating all the toys straight to the minister! If I hadn't gotten my family pretty well trained on the toy giving front (although their training is slipping), I think we'd have to do the same.
#14 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 03:20 PM

I don't have that many things to get rid of but I just purged some fall and Halloween decorations and candle holders I haven't really liked for some time now along with some decorative cardboard boxes that I don't use anymore.

In the last weeks I went through all my christmas decorations and got rid of a good amount of things too.

Feels great!
#15 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 04:07 PM

yep! I've started too! I don't have a lot of Christmas excess, but I just feel a real urge to get rid of stuff before the New Year begins. I have 4 bags of kids clothes and an overflowing box of stuff so far.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#16 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 04:10 PM

I'm in. I have so much paper to go through, I may get 1000 just off that!
#17 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 04:16 PM

I am slowly working on it! I have probably thrown out 5 big garbage bags of stuff and have a donate box. Problem is, DH is off work and he is a total packrat, so he stops me and wants to keep what I am trying to get rid of!

I am working on the kitchen today. Just about ready to start the pantry. I just finished the spice box, I still had spices that expired in 2007!
#18 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 04:17 PM

I'm in! My house is so overwhelming that I'm not even attempting to do anything today but decide what to get rid of. I do know that some stuff will end up in our garage waiting for spring and garage sale weather, but it's still out of my house!!! So right now my tally stands at 0/1000, but I will update that soon!

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#19 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
So, I just loaded it all directly into my van and dropped it off at this guy's house. Beautiful! None of it made it into my house. I think this is my new favorite skill -- just don't let the stuff in in the first place.
This is what I have taken to doing too. I did my major purge before Christmas and when I received a package of gifts from my grandma in the post, I unwrapped them, made a decision to pass them on and left them in the hall for the freecycle guy.

I'm in though, if I can find the energy. Feel like I might be getting sick:
#20 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz View Post
I am working on the kitchen today. Just about ready to start the pantry. I just finished the spice box, I still had spices that expired in 2007!
07?!? I just made mustard to go with dinner that expired in 2003!
#21 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

I went through a few more things..but I can't count them until I have them packed to go.
#22 of 261 Old 12-26-2008, 11:44 PM

Hubby and I purged 12 rubber maid containers of stuff we have had stored for 2 1/2 years in the garage. My thing was it has been here that long and we have not used it. 8 of the totes of stuff I put on freecycle most of it is being picked up sat, 2 of the totes went to good will and the last two I let friends pick through. I also put in the recycle bin all of my notes from nursing school (freecycled 4 nursing text books as well) those have moved with us for the last 8 years and I have pulled out what I want. It feels good to be able to walk in the garage again. Now for the rest of the house my totes are ready!

: Proud mommy to a IVF miracle! (8/07)
#23 of 261 Old 12-27-2008, 12:49 AM

I doubt I will physically go count all the items.

DD decided she was ready to start making her dollhouse and in order to do that, we had to empty the dresser she has been using that is going to become the new dollhouse. Which also meant we had to go through her "too big" and "out of season" clothes in her real dresser in her bedroom. Whew! We went through every single article of clothing the child owns and I let her give away anything and everything she no longer likes regardless of how many times she has worn it or if it fits, etc. She has excellent taste and really loves clothes. She has been raised with regular decluttering and understands the concepts of giving to others, etc. All of her clothing now fits in her one dresser nicely and easily!

She continued onto her entire bedroom, too. Her nightstand drawer is now easily opened and closed, which is amazing! LOL She also has decided she no longer enjoys dress-up and gave away all the dress-up clothing that is too small for her anyway. She kept two Halloween costumes that are still slightly large on her. She has an Ikea Trofast tall wood structure with four bins in it (2 shallow and 2 medium)...all were overflowing and now only two have anything in them (1 shallow and 1 medium)...she already has a plan for the other shallow one and I have a plan for the other medium one. LOL Tomorrow will see if both ideas work.

Her bookcase was thinned out recently, but she also pointed out a blanket in the top of her closet she has never liked and a Dora tent/sleeping bag set she no longer likes. She is 7, by the way. I also rearranged her closet a bit and now she has a reading nook in there and she is beyond thrilled! She explained to me that she no longer wants her babydoll in her bedroom, but she isn't ready to give "Brooke" away.

Her bedroom doesn't really look any different, but she says it is nicer now.

DH & I feel like her entire bedroom moved into OUR bedroom! ACK!!! The usual giveaway spot is at the bottom of our closet under my hanging shirts. Um, yeah, it exploded out into our bedroom quite aways today! I bagged it all up and we are planning to load up the car and take it away tomorrow (not her babydoll, though). There are at least 10 bags, including the stuff that has been in "the spot" since the last time I took a batch to charity, plus a picnic basket and "princess" dress that are "loose". Maybe I can stuff that dress into the basket??? LOL

We really need to go through our family office next!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#24 of 261 Old 12-27-2008, 12:57 AM

Wait for me...I said I was in last year but I never did much. Now that I know we are not having any more children, I can get rid of lots of things. Can't wait to get started.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#25 of 261 Old 12-27-2008, 03:40 PM

Have to brag a bit on myself to stay motivated!

It is 50 degrees here today, so the kids and I tackled the garage. I got rid of so much stuff!!! Most of it was garbage, but I now have more empty plastic bins than full ones!! I still have 5 more tubs to go through but I will wait for nap time.

Of course, the inside of my house looks like a tornado hit it. But, now I have room in my garage to put the garbage bags that will be coming from the house.
#26 of 261 Old 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM

I'm feeling inspired mamas! I feel like I am constantly purging around here...I always have a box in the garage that I'm filling to donate. Where does it all come from?? I am so tired of picking up toys, toys and more toys!

I am trying to really have "theme boxes" in the playroom...kitchen set, dollhouse, babies, etc., with only one box of "misc". The grandparents gave my twins 6 (yes 6!!) puzzles. I'm really not a fan of puzzles as it is so much clean up. They are at least quality, wooden Melissa & Doug, but the thought of cleaning up all of the pieces over and over again is exhausting. I already put one into the donation box. I'm conflicted what to do with the others.

I was very careful yesterday when we unpacked the Christmas gifts from the car after visiting the grandparents. The stuff that I don't want went straight into the donation box. I know the kids won't even miss it.

I'd love to hear how everyone deals with toys and books. We homeschool so I love having alot of books around but putting them away is getting tiring.

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#27 of 261 Old 12-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepypeanutsmom View Post
I'd love to hear how everyone deals with toys and books. We homeschool so I love having alot of books around but putting them away is getting tiring.
I have a storage cube thingy from Target that holds canvas storage boxes. We have musical instruments in one, dinosaurs in another, blocks in another, etc. I also have canvas storage boxes under our train table, one is for cars, then trains, etc. I am totally anal about toys going into their specifc boxes. The kids are really good about it too, it actually cuts down the mess because when my son wants to play dinosaurs, he knows exactly where to find them. The canvas boxes are at Target, 2 for $11 and come in a million colors. They hold alot too, including kids! (my kids will line them up and make a train)

We aren't as organized as far as books go. We have one book shelf and there is no order. No point as my kids pull most of the books off the shelf at least once a day.
#28 of 261 Old 12-27-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Another 41 items
equals
___
54/1000

Okay if you have a box of stuff just estimate...say one box...is equal to 25 items or whatever.

Okay......to make the stakes higher....I am NOT going to buy anything until 1000 items are gone. Well...except food and stuff like that!
#29 of 261 Old 12-27-2008, 06:26 PM

Another 75 pieces of clothing...that's 67+75=142/1000
#30 of 261 Old 12-27-2008, 06:40 PM

i'm in! although 1000 seems like most of my house lol but i'll see how close i can get. maybe it will motivate me to let go of some of those items i'd otherwise hold on to...
so is every item separate like each piece of paper? can we count a pair of shoes as 2?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page