Anybody starting Flylady with the new year? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alison_in_oh View Post
clothing STRAPPED to our bodies and we are starting the day! (So, Flylady would say that slippers do NOT count, they've gotta be attached to you.)
I was thinking of the kind that look a little like ballet slippers, i.e. the kind that you actually have to put on instead of just stepping into them. Those would be attached to you pretty well. But yeah, they wouldn't give you much foot support.

ETA: Or maybe some of these would work:
http://www.amazon.com/Deer-Stags-Wom...851259&sr=1-54
http://www.amazon.com/Foamtreads-Wom...851282&sr=1-74
http://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Green-C...851282&sr=1-81 (love all the color choices with this one)
http://www.amazon.com/ACORN-Womens-C...851337&sr=1-35

ETA#2:
Or these:
http://www.amazon.com/Foamtreads-Wom...=pd_sbs_shoe_1
http://www.amazon.com/terrasoles-Wom...=pd_sbs_shoe_5

And some of those would provide just as much foot support as a pair of Keds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 09:46 PM

Just signed up. My apartment is a disaster right now...

Ghanaian-American afro.jpg product & experience designer. Wife to geek.gif web geek & soon-to-be SAHD. Mother to 2 yr old reading geek , pregnant with boc.gif future geek.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
Those look super comfy!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post

ETA#2:
Or these:

And some of those would provide just as much foot support as a pair of Keds.
Those are some great slippers! I was just thinking that I needed a new pair for when I have this baby. Thanks for the links.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:50 PM

I like Flylady's system, but her over-gushiness (I'm NOT the touchy-feely type!) plus all the pushing of her products makes me nuts. After several years of trying to get it to work, I've come to the realization that the household notebook is too bulky for me.

I'm switching (just did it today) to the 3x5 card file system developed by Pam & Peggy "The Slob Sisters" - Flylady actually got developed her own take on their system with their permission. Their book is Sidetracked Home Executives: From Pigpen to Paradise.

Flylady really is for those of us who are perfectionists - which I definitely am NOT! Motivation is more my issue.

This SHE related article on from the OrganizedHome.com website editor (different from Pam & Peggy) is very good. Get the SHE book from the library (it's a quick read) and use the "21 Essays to SHEs" to get you started (the article tweaks the card file some from the book).

http://shesorganized.organizedhome.com/

What you need to do the card file:

3x5 card file box ($2)
white 3x5 cards ($1)
pastel colored 3x5 cards (2x$1 at Target - need 2 packs to have enough of the specific colors)
3x5 card dividers - these were the most expensive part. I got a pack of 100 divider cards at Staples for about $6. I also bought the alphabet ones for $6. Should have just bought the blank ones and wrote all my own cards, but oh, well, learned my lesson. Didn't realize that until I'd gotten home and written everything.

Note: Target didn't have the card file box (just a plastic one) or the dividers. Had to go to Staples for those. Target was a much better source for the 3x5 cards themselves. Target had 100 card packs, while Staples only had 300+ card packs. Turns out Staples only has the 100 card packs at back-to-school time. The 300+ card packs were much more than I needed.

lady.gif
Old 01-02-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison_in_oh View Post
So my answer to Flylady's "dressed to lace-up shoes" is twofold. For the subliminal message part, I find I get the same feeling from being "dressed to the bra".

For the practical part, I bought a pair of knock-off Keds canvas shoes (on sale at Target for $6!) to wear indoors only, usually just when doing active cleaning and straightening.

Works for me!
I totally get you on the "dressed to the bra" part

I have Crocs that are my "house shoes". But they aren't strapped on. However, in my case I WOH so maybe that doesn't even apply to me- except on weekends.

Does anyone else know if FlyLady works if you WOH?

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 01-02-2009, 01:12 AM

Bunnyflakes, Flylady is adaptable to WOH, work away from home, etc., you just have to tweak it to work for you.

lady.gif
Old 01-02-2009, 03:40 AM

I tried it with her emails and got overwhelmed. But my friend with the neatest house and car does Flylady (I want to be like her), so I got the book from the library and am going to try it again.

I can't do the tie shoe thing-- we have a muddy minifarm and I need to slip off my house shoes into mudboots several times a day to bring in firewood and work outside. I'd go nuts tieing and untieing my shoes!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 01-02-2009, 02:07 PM

I struggle with my dishes and FlyLady doesn't seem to address that issue. Part of my problem is that we live in a studio apartment and don't have a dishwasher- and our hot water heater is small so you can only do 15 minutes of dishes before running out of water and then I have to wait for a while to get hot water again.

Also, with a studio apartment, the house is one large hotspot. It's overwhelming.

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM

Wash the dishes as you use them. Our last place had a tiny kitchen and no room for anything, but that was the place I was really flying. I would keep dh's and my water cups on the counter all day, but everything else was used, washed, dried and put away immediately. Hard habit to get into, but it is really nice. GL!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 PM

Yes, the best thing to do is to do the dishes immediately - don't let anything sit in the sink. Before we had a dishwasher, I was really good about doing this because I hate to wash a whole sink-full of dishes. Now I'm always putting dirty dishes immediately into the dishwasher, running when full, and then immediately emptying it. But, of course, I am the only person in the house who does this, and I'm constantly mumbling to myself (as I'm putting someone else's dishes into the dishwasher) how hard is it to just stick these dishes in the dishwasher instead of the sink?? :
Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
Yes, the best thing to do is to do the dishes immediately - don't let anything sit in the sink. Before we had a dishwasher, I was really good about doing this because I hate to wash a whole sink-full of dishes. Now I'm always putting dirty dishes immediately into the dishwasher, running when full, and then immediately emptying it. But, of course, I am the only person in the house who does this, and I'm constantly mumbling to myself (as I'm putting someone else's dishes into the dishwasher) how hard is it to just stick these dishes in the dishwasher instead of the sink?? :
:

DH's answer: "I was not sure if they were clean or dirty..." (usually after he'd pulled a bowl out for his cereal or something like that) and "you are better at putting them away than I am" (he knows where they all go)

I run the dishes every evening at bedtime and put them away every morning first thing. I only run them at any other time if it happens to be full.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM

How's it going flybabies?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:49 PM

I have a clean, shiny sink and all the dishes are done right now (gasp!). I still need to work on getting up before my family- we cosleep and my DD stays asleep as long as I'm next to her. As soon as I leave the bed, she wakes up. What was great was that I could sit in bed on the laptop emailing/reading blogs and she'd continue to sleep until 10 or 11. But that also meant my morning was not productive.

I'm up and my babe is still asleep- I have to keep all the lights off (we live in a studio).

I need to do my hair and put shoes on (actually contacts- I'm equating contacts with shoes for my personal self since I only wear contacts when I go out to church or weddings).

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM

Its going pretty good here. I just re-did my routines pages from my old control journal. This time I'm posting them ont he freezer so I can't misplace them and it keeps them short since I don't want to paper my freezer. LOL

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 PM

Tonight's "flylist":
--weekly home blessing hour
--kelly's mission
--declutter one cabinet in the kitchen
--load of laundry
--eat dinner
--do evening routine

Oh, by the way. I just got told that I'll be working till 7 pm tonight. Which means that I'll be home around 8 pm. Too bad I can't take that person I have to supervise on his extra duty and have him do my housework... And I've got to get the kids in bed by 9. DS needs me to lay down with him and he takes over an hour to fall asleep (nope, can't get up until he's asleep or we start over).
Old 01-05-2009, 10:42 PM

ACK. I am not overwhelmed with FL. I think her routines are reasonable. I AM overwhelmed with my kids.

This is not really a FL issue, but take tonight. I had a menu made for the week, had all the ingredients I needed, etc. for dinner. I have been on my toes about following FL so my kitchen was clean and ready for me to cook. But, could I? No. Every 2 minutes- literally-- someone was asking me to get them something (food or drink), my toddler was having constant, very loud tantrums (she does not nap, and she has been a very, very, very high needs person all along), and oldest DD was complaining about what I was going to make (a very delicious meal, I might add, with both meat and vegetarian options). I can't freakin' cook dinner!!!!!!!! It was not even a complex meal. This is EVERY night. I was going to reserve that time to let them watch TV, but my 3 yo wanted to help cook, the toddler (almost 2) would have fallen asleep too early ( and then she'd wake up which means she'd be up until 10 tonight) so I did not.

What do you do? What do you do when you have 3 fairly little ones and the hardest one refuses to be in a carrier (and I have sooooo many carriers because my other kids loved them) and wants to be held all the time, even 1 month away from turning 2? And the little one does not SLEEP? And they want my constant attention? My 3 yo opened one of her Christmas gifts-- little figures-- and asked me to play. When I said I could not, she put them away and said, "Oh, then I guess I can't either." Who are these children? I was never like that! I would NEVER sit around waiting for my mom to play with me! I did not raise them to be like that-- at least I did everything I knew to prevent this very issue.

Sorry for the rant. It's been a long day. I held it together until the dinner episode. Then I just gave up and said forget it.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post
Sorry for the rant. It's been a long day. I held it together until the dinner episode. Then I just gave up and said forget it.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:57 AM

Mizelenius- sometimes we just need to put everything else on hold. kids don't care if you're in the middle of something or not.lol. the point is you tried and some times you will get it done. give yourself a break plus think of how great you did the rest of the day!

my biggest struggle is dishes- i WISH i had a dishwasher (of course i thought it would be all better if i just had a bigger sink...it is better but i have to actively keep myself doing them asap or they build up and build up while a dishwasher seems so much simpler). to be honest my house isn't that bad to begin with- small yes but its more that i'm a perfectionist and trying to find a way to have it all done. although the closer i get to perfection the bigger the things are that i can't make perfect no matter what... one thing that has helped me is purging! i'm also doing the post x-mas purge except i'm doing 500 cause i havebeen decluttering for months now- i'm up to 400 and the areas i've done feel so much better. i thinki need to let go of perfection and go for a level of clean that is just a step above what would bother me and instead of doing things by day or week just do the little things when i see them.
of course when dd arrives in about a month i'll be struggling to get anything done
Old 01-06-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post
ACK. I am not overwhelmed with FL. I think her routines are reasonable. I AM overwhelmed with my kids.
I know exactly how you feel.

I don't have any advice because I'm in the same situation many times. My husband works evenings, so I have to prepare dinner most nights - and I have a 2 year old (turned 2 a little over a month ago) who makes it nearly impossible to get anything done. Sometimes my 12 year old can occupy him long enough to make a quick meal, but I know that isn't something you can do since your dc are all very young. My 2yo and 5yo are both very needy when it comes to attention and neither likes to play alone. It's a struggle every day.

As much as I want to have a menu planned and cook a good meal every night (well, I don't like cooking, so I don't really want to do it, but I know it would be better for them to have a good home-cooked meal..), it's just not going to happen most nights. I'm lucky if I can scramble some eggs and make some toast. So we graze a lot, and I can usually find the time to boil pasta and pour jarred sauce over the top.

I've just decided that I'm not going to be able to spend any significant time preparing a meal at this point. With another baby due in March, it will probably be years before I can do that. I hope to get more organized with preparing foods in advance that can just be heated up at dinner time. Please let me know if you find some strategies that work.

User Tag List