What does de-cluttered look like to you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 88 Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sometimes I look at a bare uncluttered spaces and think I would be more unhappy in that space than a cluttered one.I know it's different for everyone.But for me,I need some beautiful things around.I need some things that make me laugh.I'm trying to imagine what my perfect uncluttered space will be.I need a vision.

What does your dream(or real) decluttered space look like?Is it completely bare.Just essentials?Or is it decorated without extra junk?Something else?

#2 of 88 Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 PM

This is what my ultimate dream home would look like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chezlar...7603439433970/

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#3 of 88 Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 PM

It means everything in its place. No piles of mixed up stuff. Clear floors, with no bits of junk scattered on them. Media all tucked away in cases. Nothing on the countertops but appliances that are used daily and maybe some flowers.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#4 of 88 Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 PM

Well I don't have a good answer for you cause I'm still so cluttered!

I am working towards eliminating cheap 'space fillers' (junk furniture, misc stuff, cheap knick knacks) and replacing with fewer but higher quality items that really 'speak' to me, if that makes any sense.

Notice I said working towards....ugh lolol
Bellevuemama

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#5 of 88 Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
OMG I bookmarked this page, THANK YOU! I'm really a visual person, this really helps me 'picture' what I want!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#6 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
It means everything in its place. No piles of mixed up stuff. Clear floors, with no bits of junk scattered on them. Media all tucked away in cases. Nothing on the countertops but appliances that are used daily and maybe some flowers.
: for me Also for me closets organized and doors closed (it bothers me even if you can't see the "junk" inside.) A few nicely placed pictures on the wall. No nick-nacky stuff.... pretty much everything you see has it's purpose for being there and if it doesn't I don't have it Also everything dusted.... I know this is more of a cleaning thing than a de-cluttering thing but what's the point of having a nice clean simple place if it's covered in layers of dust?

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#7 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 AM

I've posted about this before elsewhere. I am inclined toward a modern, minimalist look, but I paint and make ceramics, so I like my pretty things too much to go all the way modern. I also like antiques. All our furniture (with the exception of a few IKEA pieces) are antiques and are solid wood.

Here is my house: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/. We've only owned it for a little over a year and we are slowly remodeling things as we get the time and money. I describe my look as zen shabby chic...but it's evolved over time. My house is probably too "busy" for some of the people here, but it feels homey to me.

I also strongly believe that everything needs it's place. I am very organized and keep only what I can store neatly.
#8 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Awesome house! Thanks for sharing the link.

The only thing I didn't like was all the white walls. I lived in an apartment for years and swore never again to settle with white walls once I owned a house ! But I think that house is a great example of how you can decorate tastefully with a few special collections of things and still have a clean, uncluttered look.
#9 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 PM

i tend to be rather modern in my personal style......although i'm huge on texture and i love dark woods. and i really love to have some traditional touches as well.

here are a few photos of my home that i think represent my decluttered life. i have an entire home photostream...these are just a few. and i hope to update some photos as well.

dining room: autumn

dining room: christmas

dining room: with "branches" lit.

my daughter's bedroom

master bedroom and design studio set

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#10 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
And she blogs too! http://www.chezlarsson.typepad.com She updates very frequently and I find her very inspiring. I can't believe she has the time to do all that she does!
#11 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
i tend to be rather modern in my personal style......although i'm huge on texture and i love dark woods. and i really love to have some traditional touches as well.

here are a few photos of my home that i think represent my decluttered life. i have an entire home photostream...these are just a few. and i hope to update some photos as well.

dining room: autumn

dining room: christmas

dining room: with "branches" lit.

my daughter's bedroom

master bedroom and design studio set

I love your pictures and your decorating style! It's all very inspiring. I really want to do a Christmas village, but I need a nice, clean uncluttered space for it. And, for all of my kids to be past the toddler phase - lol.
#12 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loitering View Post
And she blogs too! http://www.chezlarsson.typepad.com She updates very frequently and I find her very inspiring. I can't believe she has the time to do all that she does!

thank you for posting this! LOVE her blog!

#13 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
I love your pictures and your decorating style! It's all very inspiring. I really want to do a Christmas village, but I need a nice, clean uncluttered space for it. And, for all of my kids to be past the toddler phase - lol.

thank you! now to get updated photos of the rest of the house. i need about 2 extra hours a day to get everything accomplished that i want to! lol!

#14 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I *lurve* her home.

It's not my style, but I really appreciate the clean lines and color combo.

It does make you really want to have a place for everything, doesn't it?

Me:
#15 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM

Nothing more than what I need and use regularly. Everything that I have should be able to make back to its "home" easily. Organized closets, cabinets and drawers.

To make it cozy, nice color on the walls, beautiful fabrics (blanket over the couch, table cloth, area rugs), meaningful pictures hung around, soft lights (candles or string lights). Fresh seasonal decorations - spring flowers, fall foliage, winter greens, etc.

:
#16 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your visions(or reality).And thanks for sharing the links.I LOVE links!They are both helping me figure out what my goal is.It helped me to see some of the things I really love about our house(toys in the living room,plants)and some things that really need some work(the computer table,kid art supplies).

Hope to read/see more!It's so inspiring!

#17 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM

for me its having a place for everything -- and easy to maintain.

I can remember years ago hating going grocery shopping because I had nowhere to put the groceries when I got home. (SMALL unorganized kitchen)

Its important to me that when I pick up a stray item there is a place to put it
#18 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 PM

The most important aspect of declutter for me is maintain the things I keep. As long I can keep it dusted I don't consider it clutter.

Can I just say I'm a little freaked out by books arranged by color. Mine are arranged by topic! I may have worked in libraries too long to appreciate this.
#19 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post

Can I just say I'm a little freaked out by books arranged by color. Mine are arranged by topic! I may have worked in libraries too long to appreciate this.
HA!Every time I see that I wonder how the people find stuff.It makes a nice picture though.

#20 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 06:38 PM

For me, decluttered looks like all the flat surfaces being bare. That's the first thing I started focusing on in my home, and it's what I notice when I go into other people's homes. If all the counters, tables, etc. are piled high with paper and misc. stuff, I perceive that as clutter.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#21 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
: I love Benita's home, not just because it looks nice but because I think it would feel so good to be in it.

Here's another one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doorsix...7603887374713/

And another one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abchao/...7600038659424/

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#22 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 PM

Oh, those pictures are fantastic. That has totally motivated me to paint my kitchen this week. I have the paint and have been procrastinating. Love love love her house!!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#23 of 88 Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
: I love Benita's home, not just because it looks nice but because I think it would feel so good to be in it.

Here's another one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doorsix...7603887374713/

And another one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abchao/...7600038659424/
Nice!

#24 of 88 Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 AM

Decluttered to me means:

* like items grouped together and fitting into their designated space (for example, all the books fit on the bookshelves).

* items arranged so that you don't have to move one thing to get to another (so toys can sit next to each other on a shelf rather than being stacked on top of each other).

* meaningful items on display but displayed on the wall or otherwise contained so that horizontal spaces are fairly clear.

Overall, I love having a richness to my surroundings (with books, photos, and items that I find sentimental or entertaining) but I only feel calm if there is a little breathing room/empty space around those items and in each room as a whole.
#25 of 88 Old 12-31-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
For me, decluttered looks like all the flat surfaces being bare. That's the first thing I started focusing on in my home, and it's what I notice when I go into other people's homes. If all the counters, tables, etc. are piled high with paper and misc. stuff, I perceive that as clutter.
YES! So true. I cannot stand clutter on counters or tables, especially when it's items that don't belong there.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#26 of 88 Old 12-31-2008, 03:30 PM

I am loving all the links and am getting some good ideas here!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#27 of 88 Old 12-31-2008, 05:19 PM

Everything where it's supposed to be, neatly. That's about it for us. I really don't like "hidden" clutter, like in drawers or closets, either.

I *will* say, although I know some people will disagree, that I find having a designated "clutter" area is VERY helpful for me. If I'm straightening up, or decluttering, and there's something I want to keep, but I'm not sure where to put it, instead of agonizing over it for 15 minutes, finally deciding, and then ending up decluttering an entire other closet when I have no time or patience for it , or feeling like I've "failed" at decluttering Space A because I don't know what to do with Objects X and Y, I just toss it in the clutter bin. I have a drawer in the kitchen for little stuff, and a bin in my daughter's playroom for bigger stuff. I go through it periodically, and usually find the right space (often because I've since decluttered the area it would belong), or, when I'm decluttering some other area, I'll remember, "Aha! That would belong here", and I can just grab it and put it where it belongs then. Much less stress for me that way.
#28 of 88 Old 12-31-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post

I *will* say, although I know some people will disagree, that I find having a designated "clutter" area is VERY helpful for me. If I'm straightening up, or decluttering, and there's something I want to keep, but I'm not sure where to put it, instead of agonizing over it for 15 minutes, finally deciding, and then ending up decluttering an entire other closet when I have no time or patience for it , or feeling like I've "failed" at decluttering Space A because I don't know what to do with Objects X and Y, I just toss it in the clutter bin. I have a drawer in the kitchen for little stuff, and a bin in my daughter's playroom for bigger stuff. I go through it periodically, and usually find the right space (often because I've since decluttered the area it would belong), or, when I'm decluttering some other area, I'll remember, "Aha! That would belong here", and I can just grab it and put it where it belongs then. Much less stress for me that way.
Thank you.I think that will help my stress level too.

#29 of 88 Old 12-31-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I really don't like "hidden" clutter, like in drawers or closets, either.

Oh, me too! I think it's the drawers, cabinets, cupboards and closets that truly show how decluttered (or cluttered) a home really is.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#30 of 88 Old 12-31-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Everything where it's supposed to be, neatly. That's about it for us. I really don't like "hidden" clutter, like in drawers or closets, either.

i totally agree! and in my house it's this....... the wall of chaos! it's my "organized" chaos, and i LOVE it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page