January room challenge... ideas? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to be in for my bedroom. We mini-remodeled the living room last week and all of my sewing stuff had to go live upstairs. Hundreds of notions, trims and other tiny sewing related things need to be purged or organized. My brain hurts.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 04:01 PM

I had a big revalation this weekend which I'm sure many others already know. All the pictures I see of pretty, organized houses do not use cardboard boxes as storage slotions, maybe something tucked away in an attic or a basement, but day to day type storage, kids toys, office junk, in the kitchen, in the living room... Pretty places don't have cardboard boxes setting around.

There is no way can I rid our house of all the cardboard boxes this month but it will be part of my goal this month to get rid of all the boxes out of my sewing room that I'm working on this month and follow through the rest of the year ridding the rest of the house of cardboard boxes! And I do NOT want to just replace the boxes with matching plastic bins either!

So far my progress has not been much on my room, I did the intial sweep through it the other day, then I got sick and now my little guy has it so decluttering is sorta on hold, he's seems to be feeling better now and our older son starts back to school tommorrow so hopefully I will get back down there and start working!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
every curtain rod in my house has been purchased from either lowes or target.
I like Lowes also. I buy their wooden, unfinished finials and holders then I buy their grooved curtain/closet rods (cut exactlyto size) found in the lumber section. I then stain them all to match (the wood furniture in the room) and it's lovely. They have matching rings also which I used in our formal areas. DD has a Target curtain rod in her room (one of the most expensive they carried), and I don't care for it. It bends and isn't as sturdy as I would like.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
every curtain rod in my house has been purchased from either lowes or target. they have THE best selection in my area. the few from lowes were rather expensive (they are our largest windows and target didn't carry rods large enough), but the rest are from target.....and all of them have held up very well. but target is my "go to" place for that sort of thing.....good quality and well priced.
I actually don't have a target nearby (canada) But thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
I like Lowes also. I buy their wooden, unfinished finials and holders then I buy their grooved curtain/closet rods (cut exactlyto size) found in the lumber section. I then stain them all to match (the wood furniture in the room) and it's lovely. They have matching rings also which I used in our formal areas. DD has a Target curtain rod in her room (one of the most expensive they carried), and I don't care for it. It bends and isn't as sturdy as I would like.
thanks for the idea. I didn't know that I could just go get the separate pieces at the hardware store. I really don't like stuff that breaks easily either.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 PM

I'm going to take pictures of my piles of junk, just for the heck of it.

Everyone post pics too!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I'll join!

I'm going to do my living room, since I need to take the tree down and redecorate/tidy. My usual tradition is to take the tree down the weekend after Christmas, so I'll be working on that this weekend. After that, I'd like to change some of my decor around a little. Then there is the wardrobe/coat closet that could use a good tidying again. Aside from that, I've been contemplating a major rearranging of furniture just to change things up. I might try some things out and see if it makes an improvement...but since it's a small space with a lot of windows and doors, my options for rearranging are pretty limited .
Ok, well I took down the tree and most of the holiday decorations over the weekend. I left a few snow-themed items out and about for now. Changed around some of the artwork on the walls and I'm pretty happy with things now. I uploaded some new pics of the living room here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/
I decided not to rearrange any of the furniture. After I got the tree down, I felt better about the room and I no longer think it needs a drastic change. So that just leaves cleaning up the inside of the wardrobe.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Ok so I made a space for the forest house (the best I could do for free)but unfortunately there is an outlet right there.It's driving me crazy!Any ideas how to hide it?
First, if you have another outlet to plug in your things, then I would move them to the other outlet. Second, try to paint the outlet cover the same color as the walls. Third, if the outlet is not in use, then cover it with those safety thingies...it makes the outlet even less noticeable.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Keep yours where I keep mine - other people's houses, LOL. Play-Dough hasn't been allowed in our house since 2002. That goes for glitter glue and sidewalk chalk too.

Can you keep it in a cupboard or cabinet? In the kitchen or laundry room or garage or in a closet?
: I just gave up and got rid of any rugs or anything that could be ruined by playdough. I try not to stifle his creativity...so messy art projects are allowed. I let DS make his worst messes with the playdough and then I sweep it up as soon as he's done. The worst thing is that he likes to drive his matchbox cars in the playdough, so there is a constant stream of dried up playdough bits falling off his cars and getting *everywhere*! <sigh>
Old 01-05-2009, 08:29 PM

I'm in . Almost my whole house is messy right now. We were at my parent's house for 5 days, home for 2 and then at the IL's for 4 days. Our 2 days home were packed with laundry, prenatal apt., dd1's bday party and repacking so while I left the house neat and clean for the first trip, the 2 days home was busy enough that I was not able to keep up with my 2 little tornadoes and all of their new toys and the stuff that was taken on the 1st trip but not the second. Clear as mud?

So my goals are in the following order...

1) kid's room
toys - declutter and find storage for the new things
bed - move dd2 to her new big girl bed and stor the crib
2) living room
christmas decorations - declutter and put into storage
3) mail - go through the mountain of mail that is being delivered today
4) kitchen
go through the random bags from the trip
5) laundry
clothes
all bed linens
6) craft/computer room
reorg closet
declutter computer desk
Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 PM

I have a spare bedroom that is collecting junk right now. I started on it over the weekend, and I plan to be done with it by next week. I also have to get in my DD's room and start boxing up stuff she isn't and won't be using.

We are moving in a few months, and there's a MASS of crap I have to donate/repurpose/sell/toss. There is an overflow dumpster in town that I may take some of the stuff to and just put it on the ground. Lots of folks treasure hunt there.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
First, if you have another outlet to plug in your things, then I would move them to the other outlet. Second, try to paint the outlet cover the same color as the walls. Third, if the outlet is not in use, then cover it with those safety thingies...it makes the outlet even less noticeable.
Thanks,but it's the only outlet in the area and it's a plastic safety one so paint won't really stick to it.

We put some fabric up and it's way better but still not quite right.I'm going to try a different kind and see how that goes,

Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
hmm.......i've never had any issues at all with the rods we got from target. they are just as nice and well made as the ones we purchased from lowes. we buy the "thomas o'brien" stuff, so maybe that makes a difference.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 PM

Subbing.....

I want to do our living room/dining room.

Got dinner about ready to go on the table, but I will be back later with some pictures and a list.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 AM

Old 01-06-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
I've got that same "couch"on my front porch.It is covered in blankets though so you can't be completely sure that it's the seat from our old minivan.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 AM

Old 01-06-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
I like it ! But in my house that solution would last about...oh, 30 seconds. DS thinks that fabric, curtains, blankets and such are for pulling down and dragging around the house to play hide and seek under or to throw at the cat :.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
I've got that same "couch"on my front porch.It is covered in blankets though so you can't be completely sure that it's the seat from our old minivan.
haha.. maybe I should put it back in my (still running 1994) van. I thought I'd save gas mileage without it in there.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 AM

I forgot to add the picture of my bedroom closet...

and I wanted to ask... what could I do with this? It works kinda for a drying rack, but the small stuff falls off. It originally came with plastic buckets that was supposed to be for the kids toys, but they didn't use them the way it's intended (ie piles of freakin buckets everywhere, and more mess) so now the buckets have been put away... but I'd still like to use this 'thing' for something... what do you think?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
I am going to do one shelf or drawer or other small space each day of this month. I think that'll give me the most bang for the new year.

Jan 1 - We gutted, cleaned, decluttered, and organized two living room cabinets (4 shelves total) of games and puzzles; one office cabinet (two shelves total, but one shelf is divided into 4 cubbies); and I emptied my desk drawer and got about 2/3rds of the way through the job...

Jan 2 - We weren't home today, so nothing got done. We were out running errands and tried to drop off our donations and kept getting referred to other places. Three thrift stores later and our trunk is still FULL! :

Jan 3 - We plan to take a box of electronic gizmos to an e-waste event (free recycling of such items...usually $5) and we hope to find a charity with space to accept housewares and children's clothing/toys. I also plan to finish my desk drawer and perhaps the space around my desk.
Jan 3 - DH did drop off the box of electronic gizmos to be recycled.

Jan 4 - I went through the shed, which was in pretty good shape. I specifically was interested in the painting supplies and home improvement stuff. We are converting an old cardboard dresser into a dollhouse for DD, so I was inspired to get the painting stuff. I tossed out (or donated) a handful of items that were no longer useful.

Jan 5 - I didn't really go through anything today in a traditional sense of the phrase. I did clean both upstairs bathrooms from ceilings to floors and everything in between, though. I finished off a product and recycled the container. I recently went through all the nooks and crannies in these bathrooms (decluttering and cleaning and organizing), so all is in order in both.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 AM

well, i'm getting started slowly going through stuff in my kitchen.

yesterday i went through my silverware drawer and one my kitchen utensil drawers and purged several items out.

dh is coming along nicely with the 1st work table and is hoping to start demo work by thursday. : so between now and then i have 5 kitchen cabinets and 3 more drawers to go through as that's the section that's being torn out.

wish me luck!

and yes, i've taken my before photos and when i get over the utter embarrassment of the horrendous state of my kitchen, i will share them with you. i promise.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Okay...I want to join this challenge, only I want to pick my basement. That is where I was currently working anyway. I am trying to get a bunch of stuff out that I was saving for a yard sale, but I don't see that happening anytime soon and we need the space, so I have a goodwill truck coming on Thursday to pick up a bunch of stuff. I also am going to have dh get rid of a bunch of boxes he's been "collecting" just in case we move:

My goal is to get my photo studio into one room of the basement, away from where the kids would play if they went down there. I also want to get our storage area organized and go through all the clothing tubs and get rid of stuff I dont' think we will need. Of course, in the process of this I need to pull out baby related items for the newbie in April!

I will take pics and post them later!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
So what do you do with something that your kid loves and plays with but you hate to look at?My daughter was given something like this.She uses it for all sorts of stuff and it's great I just hate looking at it and I can't find somewhere good to put it.
I have a 4 & 2 yr old. When I started decluttering our house, I had such a battle with toys. Everything was pulled out when I was trying to declutter something else and it zapped my energy to "help" sort and put away ALL the toys everyday. I ended up taking stock of what tubs and ziplocs (those xxl ones) that I needed and got them. I then had my husband help me drag all of there toys to the living room one night and put the girls to bed. We spent the whole night sorting, decluttering and putting toys into the tubs/bags. The next morning, everything but 3 things were put into the closet and a lock was put on the door. They have to clean up what they have out before they can swap one of the tubs for another tub. Every now and then I take it upon myself to swap things for them but this keeps clean up time down to 5-10 min and keeps adult supervised activities out of reach. It has made my life a lot better and the kids really do not mind.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I like it ! But in my house that solution would last about...oh, 30 seconds. DS thinks that fabric, curtains, blankets and such are for pulling down and dragging around the house to play hide and seek under or to throw at the cat :.
Thanks.And yeh,I'm lucky that my gal is so not destructive.

Quote:
haha.. maybe I should put it back in my (still running 1994) van. I thought I'd save gas mileage without it in there.
I don't know...it makes for some mighty fine summer porch sittin'.

Quote:
and I wanted to ask... what could I do with this? It works kinda for a drying rack, but the small stuff falls off. It originally came with plastic buckets that was supposed to be for the kids toys, but they didn't use them the way it's intended (ie piles of freakin buckets everywhere, and more mess) so now the buckets have been put away... but I'd still like to use this 'thing' for something... what do you think?
Could you hang some clothes pins on it for the smaller stuff?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 PM

a bit about my situation!

i live in a house shared right now with my sister and her old and very shedding dog (ak..driving me insane) but she is moving (yay!) and then ll be left with quite a mess..

we live in a beautiful 3 bedroom split level house and my upstairs is pretty well clean and organized. i keep on top of it because we are upstairs most of the time.. but my downstairs is in major need or some love and decluttering.

there is one large bedroom and 2 smaller ones all in the basement, with one small bathrom and a storage closet. right now my bed and a few special things are in a small room (my mom is usisng it as a guest room), my sister is in a small room and my son and daughters and all of their stuff as well as a lot of my clothes are in the 3rd.

its maddness in there. i recently switched my room and my sons, so everything s in boxes and piles and im sleeping on an airmattress on the floor in there till my mom leaves tonight(she has been here 6 days). im litterally going to have to go through everything and move everything around once my sister moves out next week.

my focus is on getting my daughters bed and night stand into her own room and painting a desk and table that i have to match. thats pretty much all that i have for her room besides an old chainging table that i keep baskets in for her clothes.

problem #1 its FREEZING here. like -20 most days.. im thinking once i get
everything out of that room ill use it as a painting space, let everything dry in there with the heat cranked and window open a crack..do you think that this woill work? i have given to me limegreen/sage green acrylic paint to use. not low VOC or anything that fancy.

actually im pretty excited that we will all have a bit more space. i guess once i can actually do something ill post more here, but mostly im just happy that ill have some motivation and support. im going to continue reading along.
i wish i could post pictures but my computer wont let me right now.. *manifesting a new computer*

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 01-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:

hmm. at first glance i was thinking towel rack for the bathroom! im not sure if you need one, but towels wouldn't fall off and it would look nice too!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Jan 3 - DH did drop off the box of electronic gizmos to be recycled.

Jan 4 - I went through the shed, which was in pretty good shape. I specifically was interested in the painting supplies and home improvement stuff. We are converting an old cardboard dresser into a dollhouse for DD, so I was inspired to get the painting stuff. I tossed out (or donated) a handful of items that were no longer useful.

Jan 5 - I didn't really go through anything today in a traditional sense of the phrase. I did clean both upstairs bathrooms from ceilings to floors and everything in between, though. I finished off a product and recycled the container. I recently went through all the nooks and crannies in these bathrooms (decluttering and cleaning and organizing), so all is in order in both.
Jan 6 - We finally got the donations out of the trunk of our car!!! :
It is completely empty right now...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
hmm. at first glance i was thinking towel rack for the bathroom! im not sure if you need one, but towels wouldn't fall off and it would look nice too!
well hi there fern! I think I know you from somewhere. Good idea for the towel rack, we actually don't have one in the bathroom right now because the landlord still hasn't gotten the renos done.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post

my focus is on getting my daughters bed and night stand into her own room and painting a desk and table that i have to match. thats pretty much all that i have for her room besides an old chainging table that i keep baskets in for her clothes.

problem #1 its FREEZING here. like -20 most days.. im thinking once i get
everything out of that room ill use it as a painting space, let everything dry in there with the heat cranked and window open a crack..do you think that this woill work? i have given to me limegreen/sage green acrylic paint to use. not low VOC or anything that fancy.
I don't know if you'd want to crank the heat to paint in a room, because that'll be a lot of heat going out the window. and it still might smell in the house too.
You should focus on the decluttering first, IMO. Ask yourself if you really need all that 'stuff'.

User Tag List