January room challenge... ideas? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 219 Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
(am i the only one who ends up with 1000 lids and no containers?)

ME!How does this happen?Are the lids multiplying or are the containers escaping?

We had an unexpected free day and went to the aquarium but I'm determined to get some energy up to do some things on my list.

#122 of 219 Old 01-09-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
ME!How does this happen?Are the lids multiplying or are the containers escaping?

We had an unexpected free day and went to the aquarium but I'm determined to get some energy up to do some things on my list.
maybe both?

happy "free" day! *energy*

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#123 of 219 Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
maybe both?

happy "free" day! *energy*
Thanks!It was great.An unexpected outing with my sweet gal without the responsibilities that we were expecting for the day.Ahhhh......

#124 of 219 Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
(am i the only one who ends up with 1000 lids and no containers?)!

I have the opposite problem. DH seems to lose all my lids so I have tons of containers with no lids.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#125 of 219 Old 01-09-2009, 08:33 PM

You guys have a red counter top and a yellow counter top. I have a .... blue countertop!

(yes, there should be doors on those cupboards... here's the other side of the kitchen with the door that's falling off)
#126 of 219 Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
You guys have a red counter top and a yellow counter top. I have a .... blue countertop!

(yes, there should be doors on those cupboards... here's the other side of the kitchen with the door that's falling off)
I'd take your blue counter or vm's red counter over my yellow one any day!
#127 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 AM

I want to know why rere and Mamafern have ALL MY LIDS???? :

I have the exact opposite problem: tons of containers that used to have lids. Apparently we have a mischievous house gnome that collects them.

As for the challenge - I picked my bedroom for this month, and haven't been very successful at getting through it. It's really daunting. I got the kids clothes out and toys collected and ready to leave. We're going to be seriously purging clothing tomorrow, yay! We keep looking at the clothes and saying, "We got rid of TEN BAGS of clothes this summer... how is this possible?" Seriously, have no idea. We don't buy clothes.

It's that same darn gnome, I bet.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#128 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I'd take your blue counter or vm's red counter over my yellow one any day!
you're right, yellow is probably the least desirable. We had a yellow countertop when I was growing up. I hated it! I've always had my opinions on interior design.
#129 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
I want to know why rere and Mamafern have ALL MY LIDS???? :

I have the exact opposite problem: tons of containers that used to have lids. Apparently we have a mischievous house gnome that collects them.

As for the challenge - I picked my bedroom for this month, and haven't been very successful at getting through it. It's really daunting. I got the kids clothes out and toys collected and ready to leave. We're going to be seriously purging clothing tomorrow, yay! We keep looking at the clothes and saying, "We got rid of TEN BAGS of clothes this summer... how is this possible?" Seriously, have no idea. We don't buy clothes.

It's that same darn gnome, I bet.
When I sneak in to steal your lids I leave some clothes.

#130 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 12:28 PM

So last night I steamed the rugs.Ahhhhhh....so nice to wake up to clean rugs.

#131 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 PM

My bedroom is about half done so far. We rearragned the furniture last weekend and it looks much better. The crib stayed up because we don't have bedrails. I turned all the hangers in the closet to try the Oprah 6 month trick. I have a bag for donating.

Still to do:
Hang mirror and candle holders
clean off dresser

The bathroom I barely started. I took the towel bars off and several layers of paint pulled off So I have some filling to do. I also went through the vanity and threw out some old make up and other things.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#132 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 PM

rere: rad! it must feel so nice! i have only one rug in my house.. my house consists of wood floor in the living room and tile in the rest (a bunch of smallish washable throw rugs)..but the rug, which is huge and protects the wood floor from my children really needs a steam clean or something! did you rent a steam cleaner? or do you own one? and do you have a recommendation?

majazama: i think the blue could be much worse, but i know how it feels to hate the counters! the last house (you know?) had a terrible counter and my dp replaced it with tiles.. it made a world of difference and was so easy!
my new house has tile countertops and its so nice. easy to clean, in a pinch it can be used as a cutting board. i would like to redo the grout some day.. its a bit stained in places, but its okay. far better than most of the rentals ive had!

Collinsky: i have a bag of lids..want me to send em your way
and i hear you on the clothes delema. its the one thing that im bad about. i dont buy clothes either, well excpet for a few choice things at the thrift store, but it builds up.and im frugal and i want to keep stuff thats nice from my other 2 for my smallest one, but man it adds up fast!

i just deconstructed my wordrobe and am left with little more than a laundy basket full, which seems insane, but its all that i really like to wear, so thats what im keeping.
plus i figure if i clean out all that i dont use, it opens up space for new good stuff, you know?

i will have some more storage space one my sister leaves, so im going to properly sort, label and store the clothes that we dont use now but WILL, LIKE SUMER CLOTHES ECT...and it will feel better than piles in the closets, which drives me ::

my chore of the day is the laundry room/upstairs bathroom :
its a very small space and much used..especially by my cats, one of which is old and sick and getting put down this week. she poops and its so rank. the kids cant use this bathroom really right now because no matter how much i change the litter, itsstill smelly and she wont cover it up and gets litter everywhere! then she jumps up on the sink and gets nasties on there too. im :about this issue. i know its not her fault..but the germs from a cat litter box make me feel ill..and my baby is crawling through the hallway where the livingroom and laundry room intersect and yuck. ill be happy when its over. its sad, but she isnt well and is too old to do much for her.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#133 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 PM

MamaFern,

We have wood floors too but a big rug that covers the living room and one of those "street scene" rugs in my daughter's room.I own a steamer but have rented them in the past.The one I own seems to do just as good a job as the rented ones.I was fortunate to receive mine as a gift.I didn't research so I don't know if there are better ones but I'm really happy with this one.It's a Hoover steamvac.

Sorry about your cat.

#134 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM

you can rent a carpet cleaner from grocery stores.

fern, that's sad about your cat My cats too, make a huge mess and bad smell with the litter. gawd it's awful. I want them to go outside, but have to wait till the snow melts. It makes me want to get rid of the cats, I just hate having *another* mess to clean up all the time.:

oh, and btw, I made the kitchen look good for the pictures, but the blue countertop is totally stained next to the sink and stove. It doesn't look as good as the pictures.
#135 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 04:27 PM

rere: samers samers..as my daughter would say!
gifts like that are great! im manifesting a new vacuum one of those hepa water filer ones!

jaz: its hard. the cat thing. if they were outside cats who came in once in a while for a snuggle i would be so happy, but its the opposite. and the weather doesn't help because even if i want to throw them outside.. its too cold. luna my old girl went missing before christmas for 3 weeks almost.. i thought she was eaten and gone but then she appeared new eyars eve! she has frostbite on her tail and ears. she is a mess.. which is why im putting her down.
so i hear you. its one of those things that is great before kids, but after it is a LOT to take on. especially as a single mom. i know you know.

and as for your kitchen, maybe tim and i can come in the summer and help you get it fixed up? or is it something you LL is going to do?

Quote:

#136 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM

ya, my cats do not like going outside in the snow. They actually do that cartoon thing where they hang onto the door frame if I try to put them outside. It would be nice to have you guys here in the summer. I don't know about renovating it though, the LL is kinda 'funny', but last time I complained about something (the bathroom) she ended up putting in all tile floor and walls, a pedestal sink and a clawfoot tub, so ... maybe I should complain about the kitchen. " It's an eyesore.. I think granite countertops are the way to go.."
#137 of 219 Old 01-10-2009, 09:03 PM

I haven't gotten very far at all in my cleaning of the living room. : I got a nasty virus that just sucked the energy right out of me and all I wanted to do is sleep all day! So today I've been trying to get my living room in order. So far so good I'll post pictures when I'm done!
#138 of 219 Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 PM

Well,I didn't really get anything done on my list yesterday.I did do some decluttering in the laundry room though and started to teach myself to knit...that's got to count for something... right?And today we're off to tromp in the snow at the Botanic Gardens so I guess I won't be knocking anything off the list this week-end.Oh well...it's all about priorities...right?

#139 of 219 Old 01-11-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Well,I didn't really get anything done on my list yesterday.I did do some decluttering in the laundry room though and started to teach myself to knit...that's got to count for something... right?
that's about what i got done too. we have cupboards above our washer/dryer that are sometimes the dumping grounds for whatever we cant find a place for. i took everything out, washed the shelves down and replaced the things that belong there.. thee actually wasn't much else, but it was all in dissaray. so im pleased! now i have my vinegar, baking soda, soap nuts, grannies washing powder, grannies sudsy amonia and natural fabric softner..all in a prrdy row i love organisation!

YAY! on the knitting. knitting definitely needs priority over decluttering some times. its so fun@

i also helped my sister pack and move a bunch of her stuff to her new house yesterday and move the furnature around there, since its partially furnished. we had a good time. im learninbg about feng shui and so i really enjoy helping people set up their spaces!

today i plan to sand (with a borrowed belt sander) the pieces i want to paint..but that depends on if the snow stops falling. its been 5 days straight now :

Quote:

#140 of 219 Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 PM

I just cleaned out under my bed. There was a LOT under there. I still havent' even sorted all of it!

I'm Freecycling a bunch of clothes from my closet purge over the next couple days, already had a few takers and they sounded like they really could use them. So much better than sitting around in my room waiting for me to be that size again! :

And rere, I guess I can't blame you for trying to unload clothes. But I'll be watching from now on!!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#141 of 219 Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 PM

I am getting closer to my goal of doing my bedroom closet and the sewing room, but getting quite sidetracked along the way! I ended up today sorting all of the kids toys and spraying them with vinegar (disinfectant) and putting them away in my closet so that there is not always one massive mess to clean up in their room. Now they can have ponies, or dollhouse toys, or legos, or etc. and then they will have to pick it all up and put it in the bucket before they (ask me because it's high up on my shelf) and get a 'new' bucket. Hopefully this will keep my sanity level a wee bit better. The kids seem to actually like this idea. I think they were too overwhelmed with all of it before, and would absolutely not clean it up.

you should see my recycling and thrift store piles! I have barely anything left in my storage room too. I used to collect boxes for those JIC times. I'm going to post some things for sale on MDC... have you guys had any luck with that? I used to sell things on the old TP, but haven't used the new one yet.
#142 of 219 Old 01-11-2009, 09:35 PM

hey everyone. just a small update on our kitchen remodel.

we're making progess.....slowly. dh is almost finished with the building portion of the program, and while things were drying he started demo work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmdesigns/3188940283/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmdesig...7601062319791/

and while he was doing that, i took some updated photos of our living room.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmdesigns/3189795200/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmdesig...n/photostream/

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#143 of 219 Old 01-12-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Jan 7 - I had two appointments in the morning/mid-day and then a farewell party to attend in the evening. The party was last-minute and I needed to bring something to share. I looked through our pantry and fridge and freezer and found some drinks (specifically mentioned to me) we have extra of and brought them along. Less stuff in our house and others enjoyed them.
Jan 8 - Two playdates and an evening meeting left me with very little time to work on our home today. I did, however, return my friend's cherry pitter and pie plate from New Year's Eve. We brought her some pie and a movie (You Can Heal Your Life) that she and I watched while our kids (age 7) played together. They had a great time together and so did we! :

Jan 9 - DD pretty much stuck to me like glue all day long...like right on top of me all day type of day. I recall watching the same movie again with DD and then reading a book with DD most of the afternoon and evening, taking turns reading aloud. DH worked from home, too. While it was a "cozy" day , it was completely unproductive. Like someone above said, "priorities"!

Jan 10 - An impromptu playgroup get-together at the beach gave me an opportunity to give a bag of barely worn gifted clothes of DD's away to another little girl who is thoroughly loving them! : I also had a brand new hairbrush that DD was given for Christmas that is too big for her and really hurts her head... I had also tried it and also disliked it immensely. One of the moms LOVES this type of brush and was so grateful to have a new one. : I also returned a Mason jar to a mom who had given us homemade jelly. YUM!

Jan 11 - Today was a different type of "decluttering" day. DH had an eye appointment at Costco this morning. First one in 10 years and the doc told him he has the best eyes she was likely to see all day. We had planned for new glasses for him and he didn't need them. I was there simply to help him choose new glasses after I exchanged a non-functioning DVD we had purchased a few days ago. Aside from the replacement DVD, we walked out of there with nothing new. Ah, AMAZING! Later in the day, we attended a fire ceremony as a family. Each person in the group (25?) wrote out a list of the specific things (qualities about ourselves, beliefs we had, etc) we no longer wished to have and we tossed them into the fire. That felt celebratory!!!! : Each person then wrote out what we do want to create in our lives for 2009, including why they were important to us. We then wrote on a different sheet of paper what the potential obstacles would be and tossed those into the fire. (We have some homework for the next part of the exercise and then will be continuing with this work in the next few monthly meetings.) I feel lighter already!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#144 of 219 Old 01-12-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
hey everyone. just a small update on our kitchen remodel.

we're making progess.....slowly. dh is almost finished with the building portion of the program, and while things were drying he started demo work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmdesigns/3188940283/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmdesig...7601062319791/

and while he was doing that, i took some updated photos of our living room.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmdesigns/3189795200/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmdesig...n/photostream/
How exciting - can't wait to see more pics. How long do you expect the kitchen to take? I hope you're keeping your floors - they are great!

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
#145 of 219 Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Jan 8 - Two playdates and an evening meeting left me with very little time to work on our home today. I did, however, return my friend's cherry pitter and pie plate from New Year's Eve. We brought her some pie and a movie (You Can Heal Your Life) that she and I watched while our kids (age 7) played together. They had a great time together and so did we! :

Jan 9 - DD pretty much stuck to me like glue all day long...like right on top of me all day type of day. I recall watching the same movie again with DD and then reading a book with DD most of the afternoon and evening, taking turns reading aloud. DH worked from home, too. While it was a "cozy" day , it was completely unproductive. Like someone above said, "priorities"!

Jan 10 - An impromptu playgroup get-together at the beach gave me an opportunity to give a bag of barely worn gifted clothes of DD's away to another little girl who is thoroughly loving them! : I also had a brand new hairbrush that DD was given for Christmas that is too big for her and really hurts her head... I had also tried it and also disliked it immensely. One of the moms LOVES this type of brush and was so grateful to have a new one. : I also returned a Mason jar to a mom who had given us homemade jelly. YUM!

Jan 11 - Today was a different type of "decluttering" day. DH had an eye appointment at Costco this morning. First one in 10 years and the doc told him he has the best eyes she was likely to see all day. We had planned for new glasses for him and he didn't need them. I was there simply to help him choose new glasses after I exchanged a non-functioning DVD we had purchased a few days ago. Aside from the replacement DVD, we walked out of there with nothing new. Ah, AMAZING! Later in the day, we attended a fire ceremony as a family. Each person in the group (25?) wrote out a list of the specific things (qualities about ourselves, beliefs we had, etc) we no longer wished to have and we tossed them into the fire. That felt celebratory!!!! : Each person then wrote out what we do want to create in our lives for 2009, including why they were important to us. We then wrote on a different sheet of paper what the potential obstacles would be and tossed those into the fire. (We have some homework for the next part of the exercise and then will be continuing with this work in the next few monthly meetings.) I feel lighter already!
sounds great... you're really *clearing* things out, eh?
#146 of 219 Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom17 View Post
How exciting - can't wait to see more pics. How long do you expect the kitchen to take? I hope you're keeping your floors - they are great!
thank you! actually we're on the fence about keeping the floors. they look SOOO much better in the photos than they do in person. they are cheap vinyl tiles that have a "texture" to them so there is dirt and grime permanently co-habitating in them and they NEVER look clean. the kitchen door is our "main" entrance so these floors get very high traffic and i think i'd like to change them out to something more neutral. i'm not sure. as i said, we're really on the fence about it.

as far as how long.....i really have no idea to be honest. we have A LOT to do in there and we're doing it all on evenings/weekends. all i know is that this may just be my february room challenge as well! lol!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#147 of 219 Old 01-12-2009, 11:40 AM

List of accomplishments this weekend:

-Cleaned out desk in spare room. I don't use it anymore and I'm trying to sell it, so I went through and got all the crap out of it, and sorted/tossed/boxed.
-Cleaned/organized walk-in closet in spare room. This is where I keep all my holiday decorations and extra clothes. I went through and sorted/tossed/boxed.
-Started cleaning out the walk-in closet in my bedroom.
-Got my DD to start boxing up her old clothes to take to the SA.

All in all, I fee like it was a productive weekend. I even got my tree down and boxed up!

I won't be home this weekend, but I have some cleaning to do before my BF gets here this week. I start classes next week, so we'll see how it goes from here on out.
#148 of 219 Old 01-12-2009, 01:14 PM

:

wow. it sounds as if everyone is doing SO well!

majazama: rad! Ive been doing the same thing with the toys in our house. i keep them in baskets, wooden toys, soft toys, blocks, musical stuff, puppets and puppet theater.. then i let them choose ONE, and after they clean it ALL up, they can have a different basket. it sure makes life easier, and they get more enjoyment out of the toys.. otherwise, like you said, its just a huge toy explosion, which is hard to actually play with.
and yay on your getting your closet cleaned. its amazing how much better we feel once a few cluttered spaces are organized and clean!

vm9799: your kitchen looks destroyed! but what fun..a new kitchen is something to celebrate for sure!! i cant wait to see the finished project!

sunnysandiegan: your fire ceremony sounds beautiful!: what a great way to clear out and make space for the new.

JenniferH: sounds like you are on it! getting that desk cleaned out will surely help you sell it! now your energy is clear from it, it will be open for someone else!
have a fun weekend.

as for me..
my sister is moving the rest of her stuff today. im over the m0oon!
she slept at her new home last night and my kids dad came over for a movie and dinner last night(he lives just up the street but we aren't living together..but his being around was a HUGE issue for my sister, so its been very hard). it was almost date like. very fun and enjoyable. now its Monday..school and all of that monday stuff.. but im hoping to get a bunch done today..just not sure what.

Quote:

#149 of 219 Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Why is it that every month it's the room I pick that gets ignored while the rest of the house is being decorated?

UGH. I need to get my rear in gear on DS's room.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#150 of 219 Old 01-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Why is it that every month it's the room I pick that gets ignored while the rest of the house is being decorated?

UGH. I need to get my rear in gear on DS's room.

I was thinking the same thing as I work on my kitchen, DS's room, and laundry room while I ignore my living room!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page