Any pics/ideas for a TV stand? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello...I would love some ideas/photos of something that you used for a tv stand that isn't an actual "tv console" - maybe a credenza or table?

We just bought a 42" plasma and I can't find a tv stand that I like (and can afford!). We are replacing our huge entertainment center that took up an entire wall and are loving the new space in the family room!

Here is a link to the console that I really like the style of, but it's pretty pricy:
http://www.thomasville.com/Item5411/...a-Console.aspx

I'm new to this site and check this forum everyday for motivation - thanks so much!

greenmom17

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
#2 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 AM

here's a photo of ours........ tv

it's actually a small dining room buffet that my hubby drilled out the back to accommodate all the cords. our tv is mounted on the wall, but something like this would work on the stand as well.

and please ignore the horrible color on the walls.....they don't actually look that bad, the color is REALLY off in this photo. and i'm hoping to repaint the walls this month anyway.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#3 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
here's a photo of ours........ tv

it's actually a small dining room buffet that my hubby drilled out the back to accommodate all the cords. our tv is mounted on the wall, but something like this would work on the stand as well.

and please ignore the horrible color on the walls.....they don't actually look that bad, the color is REALLY off in this photo. and i'm hoping to repaint the walls this month anyway.
OK, OT, but how did you get the speakers into the walls? I'm imagining you just made holes and used fish tape for the wires? Did you install something in the walls to set the speakers on? Because that looks really, really nice! We have big speakers now, but when we can afford new smaller ones, I'd love to do that!

computergeek2.gif

#4 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM

We bought this from target two years ago. It was around $200 I think. It's the dark cabinet on the left: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/. I like it because I can close it up and not look at the TV all day...we don't watch it much.

If I had unlimited time and money, however, I would build some lovely oak built-ins on the north wall around the fireplace. I would put shelves on the right side of the fireplace and make a larger niche for a TV on the left.

If you are looking for a good bargain, try IKEA for TV stands (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...5?pageNumber=0). They have a ton of different styles (including some that look like the Thomsonville that you like) at various prices. This one is nice: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20102516
Check out IKEA's sideboards for other options (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...4?pageNumber=0). I used an antique buffet (sort of like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90134104) as a TV stand for several years.
#5 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 AM

If you choose to use a sideboard, credenza, table or cabinet, be mindful of how much weight it can hold. My plasma weighs >140 lbs. so I had to buy a regular console. I'll post a pic when DH gets home (I don't know how to hook our new camera to the computer, LOL).

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#6 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 10:43 AM

i have this:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30133942
i bought it because we had the tv mounted on the wall and i hated the ugly cords hanging down. this way, the dvd player and satellite box are in the drawers (on shelves behind the glass panels so the remote works, with dvd storage in the drawers) and all the cords are connected behind the panel that the tv mounts on. it's very tidy.

from the picture you linked to, though, i think something antique seems more up your alley, and you could probably find something relatively inexpensive. rather than going to a shop, try to find it on craigslist or at an estate sale. you'll get a much better price that way. it may be a pita to move it, but at least you won't have to assemble it when you get it home!
#7 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownZoo View Post
OK, OT, but how did you get the speakers into the walls? I'm imagining you just made holes and used fish tape for the wires? Did you install something in the walls to set the speakers on? Because that looks really, really nice! We have big speakers now, but when we can afford new smaller ones, I'd love to do that!
LOL! i wish i knew! my hubby installed everything. he had to cut the plaster (very old house) which was a huge mess, and then ran the cords/wires through the inside of the wall down through the floor to the basement. the speaker box is then drilled into the wall stud, so there's nothing for it to set on. and then the covers are paintable so you can make them disappear with wall paint. this was the only option for me as my hubby wanted these HUGE (read: U.G.L.Y) speakers and i refused. so he got these instead. the sound quality is much better and they are hardly noticeable unless you're looking for them. i think these are bose brand. he's at work right now, but i'll ask him for the "short version" of installation, etc. when he gets home tonight and pass that along.

#8 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
LOL! i wish i knew! my hubby installed everything. he had to cut the plaster (very old house) which was a huge mess, and then ran the cords/wires through the inside of the wall down through the floor to the basement. the speaker box is then drilled into the wall stud, so there's nothing for it to set on. and then the covers are paintable so you can make them disappear with wall paint. this was the only option for me as my hubby wanted these HUGE (read: U.G.L.Y) speakers and i refused. so he got these instead. the sound quality is much better and they are hardly noticeable unless you're looking for them. i think these are bose brand. he's at work right now, but i'll ask him for the "short version" of installation, etc. when he gets home tonight and pass that along.
Thanks! I could probably figure it out, esp. since drywall is so much easier to work with than plaster, but it's always nice to start with some good info. No rush; our old speakers are good ones and it'll be awhile before I feel willing to spend the money for new ones.

I was cyber-stalking your house from the link you gave. OMG, I love what you've done with your house! I really, really wish my DH and I were capable of building furniture like your DH has done. There's a space in my dining room that needs a built-in unit like yours. Your dining room is fabulous, and your bedroom is to die for! I love your style; I think we have similar tastes, but you're better at it than I am. I'm trying to decide on a new design for my living room right now and I don't know where you live, but by those snow pics, I can see you're way too far away to come give me some suggestions. Bummer.

computergeek2.gif

#9 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I could probably figure it out, esp. since drywall is so much easier to work with than plaster, but it's always nice to start with some good info. No rush; our old speakers are good ones and it'll be awhile before I feel willing to spend the money for new ones.

I was cyber-stalking your house from the link you gave. OMG, I love what you've done with your house! I really, really wish my DH and I were capable of building furniture like your DH has done. There's a space in my dining room that needs a built-in unit like yours. Your dining room is fabulous, and your bedroom is to die for! I love your style; I think we have similar tastes, but you're better at it than I am. I'm trying to decide on a new design for my living room right now and I don't know where you live, but by those snow pics, I can see you're way too far away to come give me some suggestions. Bummer.

aww, thank you so much for your kind words! *blush* and please, don't feel too bad....i'm actually a degreed/trained interior designer, so it's my "job" to know what i'm doing! LOL! impressively enough, my husband is completely self taught. so i always give him the kudos! i usually come up with some drawings for a "possible" design and he takes it and creates SO MUCH MORE with it. i'm happy to help in whatever way i can ....... long distance and all. oh and i'm in northeast indiana.

#10 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
aww, thank you so much for your kind words! *blush* and please, don't feel too bad....i'm actually a degreed/trained interior designer, so it's my "job" to know what i'm doing! LOL! impressively enough, my husband is completely self taught. so i always give him the kudos! i usually come up with some drawings for a "possible" design and he takes it and creates SO MUCH MORE with it. i'm happy to help in whatever way i can ....... long distance and all. oh and i'm in northeast indiana.
Aha! A designer. That explains it. In that case, when I get the Christmas stuff put away and things squared around here, I'll post some pics of my warehouse-sized living room and see if you have any ideas.

Indiana. Oye. I'd freeze my tushie off! We're Mennonite and half of the members of our church come from Indiana, or at least went to college there. They all have closets full of bulky coats that they can only use when they go back to visit because it never gets cold enough for them here. I'm in Albuquerque, where my kids are at this moment playing outside in jeans and t-shirts.

computergeek2.gif

#11 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great ideas! I love the idea of a dining room buffet, I'm going to check Craigslist daily (I'm in the Chicagoland area, there is a great selection). It seems like a good idea to have the tv raised up a bit higher, especially with kids (well my kids!) around. Or maybe even on the wall.

We live right by Ikea...I may take a drive out there this weekend. I forget that they carry furniture that's not so "modern" and their showroom is so fun to walk through!

And vm9799, your home is to die for - you have such great taste - classic, comfortable, a little trendy (although I'm no expert). It's exactly the kind of look I'm going for in my home, but we live in newer construction and it's so hard to get that "comfy" feel. We've replaced the flooring with hardwood and I know lighting makes a big difference, but any other ideas I would love! Oh, and your husband is really a talented guy!

Thanks guys!

Mom to:
#12 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM

thanks greenmom17! and i will pass your compliments along to my hubby.....although he's very likely to get a big head over all the mooning over his work! lol!

is it possible for you to post photos of your space?? that would be REALLY helpful (for me atleast) to get a sense of your space to offer up more suggestions.

#13 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you so much! We are just about to play Pictionary Jr but I will be back after the kiddos are in bed

Mom to:
#14 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom17 View Post
Oh thank you so much! We are just about to play Pictionary Jr but I will be back after the kiddos are in bed
no problem at all!

i'll be around. my 11 year old daughter is on the computer, my 9 year old son is having a sleep over at a friend's house, and my hubby has taken up residence in our basement in front of the xbox 360! so until he decides to unearth himself, and we start on our kitchen remodel drawings, i'll be hanging around here.

#15 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 10:19 PM

I would definitely try Craigslist. Or maybe consignment shops. Here's one at Costco that might be your style and it's relatively inexpensive:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...t23006&topnav=

They have others there that are a little more pricey, too.
#16 of 25 Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 PM

We use a very large nightstand. I know, you're thinking, "nightstand?!?!" But it's huge and that's why we don't use it as such.

There is one drawer, which we use for storing DS games and extra Wii gear. There is a large space underneath with three bins which we use for storing Wii games, controls and cords for game systems.

There is enough space on the top for the TV, DVD player, bin for Wii remotes, Wii remote charger and Wii.

The nightstand came with a bedroom set and we use the other nightstand inside our closet for private papers and other things.
#17 of 25 Old 01-03-2009, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the Costco link! And wow, that must be one huge nightstand! Are the other bedroom set pieces that big too?!

Here's a link to some FR pics, plus one of our foyer which leads into the FR. The coffee and side table will be gone tomorrow (sold on CL), just waiting for the entertainment center to sell. It actually holds the new tv but only with the doors taken off, which doesn't look so hot. The whole room is in disaray but hopefully you get an idea of the space. The couches are newer, but I'd be more than happy to put the huge lazyboy in the basement!

Any suggestions are welcome and totally appreciated!

http://picasaweb.google.com/meghanha...eat=directlink

Mom to:
#18 of 25 Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
You can buy speakers that are specifically meant to be mounted inside the wall! Beyond that, if you've got basic drywall skills, they shouldn't be that difficult to install. Good luck!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#19 of 25 Old 01-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvh View Post
You can buy speakers that are specifically meant to be mounted inside the wall! Beyond that, if you've got basic drywall skills, they shouldn't be that difficult to install. Good luck!
yep....ours were "in wall" speakers. they are *like* these, but ours are Bose.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138083503923

i suppose you *could* convert regular speakers and mount them into the wall, but boy that seems like hard work! lol!

#20 of 25 Old 01-03-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking of keeping the entertainment center we have, with the doors removed. We would have to remove the brackets and stuff from the inside, fill the holes with filler, and find a stain to match. Shouldn't be too hard, especially since that area is not really visible.

What bothers me about that room is the huge coffee table. I'd like to replace it with an ottoman (with storage?) in maybe a fun red paisely color. A lot less $$ than replacing the whole set.

Good idea, right?

Mom to:
#21 of 25 Old 01-03-2009, 02:57 PM

We have one of those. We like using it as a footstool and as a place to sit when playing Wii. It's used for storage as well (couch folds out so I keep linens inside the ottoman) and you can even flip over the top of the leather ottoman and use it as a coffee table when needed.
#22 of 25 Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking of keeping the entertainment center we have, with the doors removed. We would have to remove the brackets and stuff from the inside, fill the holes with filler, and find a stain to match. Shouldn't be too hard, especially since that area is not really visible.

What bothers me about that room is the huge coffee table. I'd like to replace it with an ottoman (with storage?) in maybe a fun red paisely color. A lot less $$ than replacing the whole set.

Good idea, right?
i love the idea of an ottoman! someday when we buy new furniture and redo our living room, i will most likely do an ottoman over a coffee table as well. much more versatile in my book!

#23 of 25 Old 01-05-2009, 01:51 PM

We have a big huge cabinet with doors in the living room, and I hate it. It's nice enough, but it's an eye suck. It's a big black hole that draws your eyes right to it, and I don't like that being the focal point of the room. We bought it when DS was a newborn, intending to shut the doors when it wasn't in use. We didn't count on kids yanking on the doors, slamming them shut, and banging them against the wall. So now the doors are tied open so they can't be messed with. I want to sell it soooooooooo bad!

In the family room though, we have a coffee table from Target and I love it. I want one for the living room, too. It's big enough to hold our 27" TV (the old kind with a big massive back to it) and a stereo. There is also a shelf for DVD player, etc, and two small drawers under, where we hold remotes and stuff.

Here's a link to the table. It's supposed to be a coffee table, but I think it's too tall for that. http://www.target.com/dp/B000DEM2JA/...8&pf_rd_t=5101
#24 of 25 Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Good idea, right?

I'd keep the entertainment center too. I think it's nice and wouldn't spend the money to replace a nice piece of furniture. I would, though, balance out the room. Right now, the EC has so much visual eight to it, the room seems tipped. I'd put much more substantial window coverings on the windows and add some darker pillows and a throw to your couches.

As for a coffee table/ottoman, are your couches 2 love seats? If so, I think a round piece would be best. It'd fit nicely and give more interest than a square table. Something like this except in a different color (if you scroll down, there's a nice red fabric).

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#25 of 25 Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Love that round ottoman! JCP had quite a nice selection, thanks for the tip...when I think of Penneys I usually think of window treatments.

SAHDS - I like the idea of a new window treatment. The last 2 pictures are from a couple years ago - the tab top floral print valances, they were replaced last year by PB ticking stripe roman shades, but I've always wanted long curtains on either side. I couldn't decide if I should get a neutral tan to go with the walls, or something bolder (red) as an accent. There is a lot of red in my house, and I'm afraid one day I'll wake up and be sick of it!

Well the coffee and side table are gone (sold) and my kids are loving the empty space. We went to a furniture store this evening (Walter E. Smithe) and of course I love everything in there, and their "greatest sale EVER" ends tonight. Good thing the kids were driving us crazy or it would have been tempting. We left and went for ice cream instead.

Thanks for all the tips!

Mom to:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page