Need Pics of Play Rooms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 01-04-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am making my DS a playroom and bought one expedit shelf that has 8 square openings. I also have a three tier shelf that is 32" wide and a metal/mesh organizer that holds a bunch of toys. I need some ideas on what to do for a playroom. Layout, colors, ideas etc.

Pictures would be Great!!

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 81 Old 01-04-2009, 05:55 PM

Right now, our playroom is in our soon to be diningroom. (long story) we have a livingroom with another little room off of it that has padio doors on it, leading outside. that room will be the playroom soon, since it is off the livingroom. There are doors closing off those two rooms which we will keep closed to keep our *cough* five cats out. Anyhow, as of right now, the playroom has those padded tiles on the floor, they are bright and colorful and they are great for floor play and warmer on the feet than the laminate flooring. There is a little childrens art desk with two stools, and a kid's tent (like for the beach) set up with balls in it (like a ball room) and ds loves it in there. there's a tv, dvd player, and of course toys. when the playroom moves we will add some shelving, a teddybear net, and a shelving unit that has space for larger baskets to store toys in. That way it will be easy clean up for both me and for ds. I dont have my camera with me right now, but when dh comes home i will post pics of my current playroom.
#3 of 81 Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 PM

If you're interested, I can post pictures of ours, but it's not just a playroom, it's also the family/TV room.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#4 of 81 Old 01-04-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspineau View Post
Right now, our playroom is in our soon to be diningroom. (long story) we have a livingroom with another little room off of it that has padio doors on it, leading outside. that room will be the playroom soon, since it is off the livingroom. There are doors closing off those two rooms which we will keep closed to keep our *cough* five cats out. Anyhow, as of right now, the playroom has those padded tiles on the floor, they are bright and colorful and they are great for floor play and warmer on the feet than the laminate flooring. There is a little childrens art desk with two stools, and a kid's tent (like for the beach) set up with balls in it (like a ball room) and ds loves it in there. there's a tv, dvd player, and of course toys. when the playroom moves we will add some shelving, a teddybear net, and a shelving unit that has space for larger baskets to store toys in. That way it will be easy clean up for both me and for ds. I dont have my camera with me right now, but when dh comes home i will post pics of my current playroom.
Sounds great. I can't wait to see pics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokay View Post
If you're interested, I can post pictures of ours, but it's not just a playroom, it's also the family/TV room.
Oh please please post some pics!!
#5 of 81 Old 01-04-2009, 11:33 PM

This may help!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#6 of 81 Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 AM

Lurve those pics, SAHDS!

Here are a couple of pics of the playroom corners of our playroom / office.

I have two of the 8 cube Expedit shelves in our combo playroom/office: one is placed tall and has some of my stuff at the top with dd's craft supplies on the bottom shelves. I didn't take a pic of it as it needs some serious decluttering! The other is set up sort of Montessori style with one activity per shelf. On the wall above that one, I put two curtain-type rods from Ikea to hang dd's artwork. On one wall, we just put two magnetic white boards for magnetic toy play and art. There's also a small table for play and art projects in the middle of the room. (Future project is to refinish that thrift store find.) Our desk and dh's sound equipment takes up one wall, and in one little corner, I have two little closet-organizer type shelves with Playmobil stuff set up.

I keep the toys for the toy rotation (on the shelves) in the closet in that room. We also have other areas set up around the house -- a basket of dolls in one room. The dollhouse in a corner in another. Dress-up stuff in her bedroom, and a kitchen between our kitchen/breakfast area. Blocks in a basket in the family room. Puzzles and board games on the living room bookshelves.

I'm eager to see other's set-ups, too.

You'll love your Expedit shelves!

ETA: On colors -- we'll paint this room someday...hoping to move the office out and make it a full-blown playroom once we are a two-kid family. :-) I think a bright primary color on the wall behind the Expedit shelving would be gorgeous. Then maybe half-walls in the same color on another wall or two. Playrooms seems like such a great place to play with wall colors!

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
#7 of 81 Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 AM

I love Expedit! We have one 2x4 shelf and the TV entertainment unit that has 16 cubbies.

The best bin EVER for these shelves actually comes from Target, in their "itso" collection. They fit the space perfectly!! I think I have pics somewhere ...
#8 of 81 Old 01-05-2009, 03:16 AM

I'll post a picture of our playroom tomorrow, after we clean up a bit!

Meanwhile...
http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/...layroom&m=pool

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
#9 of 81 Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJorgy View Post
I love Expedit! We have one 2x4 shelf and the TV entertainment unit that has 16 cubbies.

The best bin EVER for these shelves actually comes from Target, in their "itso" collection. They fit the space perfectly!! I think I have pics somewhere ...
Awesome!! My ikea is about 2hrs + away so getting there with a DS that dislikes the carseat is quite a hassle. Target however is about 25min away.

I would love to see pics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
This may help!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyjoys View Post
Lurve those pics, SAHDS!

Here are a couple of pics of the playroom corners of our playroom / office.

I have two of the 8 cube Expedit shelves in our combo playroom/office: one is placed tall and has some of my stuff at the top with dd's craft supplies on the bottom shelves. I didn't take a pic of it as it needs some serious decluttering! The other is set up sort of Montessori style with one activity per shelf. On the wall above that one, I put two curtain-type rods from Ikea to hang dd's artwork. On one wall, we just put two magnetic white boards for magnetic toy play and art. There's also a small table for play and art projects in the middle of the room. (Future project is to refinish that thrift store find.) Our desk and dh's sound equipment takes up one wall, and in one little corner, I have two little closet-organizer type shelves with Playmobil stuff set up.

I keep the toys for the toy rotation (on the shelves) in the closet in that room. We also have other areas set up around the house -- a basket of dolls in one room. The dollhouse in a corner in another. Dress-up stuff in her bedroom, and a kitchen between our kitchen/breakfast area. Blocks in a basket in the family room. Puzzles and board games on the living room bookshelves.

I'm eager to see other's set-ups, too.

You'll love your Expedit shelves!

ETA: On colors -- we'll paint this room someday...hoping to move the office out and make it a full-blown playroom once we are a two-kid family. :-) I think a bright primary color on the wall behind the Expedit shelving would be gorgeous. Then maybe half-walls in the same color on another wall or two. Playrooms seems like such a great place to play with wall colors!
LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom17 View Post

Meanwhile...
Wow thanks I am not sure if I can be that good, lol.

Can't wait to see pics
#10 of 81 Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom17 View Post

Meanwhile...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
This may help!
Awesome links! Thanks!

Here is my DS's room. I didn't invest in new storage/shelving, so all of his furniture are second-hand pieces that I've rehabbed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/

We have a small house and no one room designated a play room, so he also has things in the office, living, and dinning rooms as well.

Living room play area:

Dining room play area:
#11 of 81 Old 01-05-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Awesome links! Thanks!

Here is my DS's room. I didn't invest in new storage/shelving, so all of his furniture are second-hand pieces that I've rehabbed.

We have a small house and no one room designated a play room, so he also has things in the office, living, and dinning rooms as well.

Living room play area:

Dining room play area:
OMW that is SO cute!! Thanks I might borrow some of your ideas
#12 of 81 Old 01-06-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoRyan View Post
OMW that is SO cute!! Thanks I might borrow some of your ideas
Thank you! Go knock yourself out! But I want to see photos of your finished product.
#13 of 81 Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone used roommates removable stickers on their walls? I am thinking of painting the room orange or another fun color and using those. WDYT?
#14 of 81 Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoRyan View Post
Has anyone used roommates removable stickers on their walls? I am thinking of painting the room orange or another fun color and using those. WDYT?
we found some fun wall decals at a local store (there is only 2 in town..one is fields and one is a dollar store) they are super fun! im not sure about "brothers" ones but we have alphabet ones with the animal or bug that starts with the letter (a is for ant ect) in the kids bedrooms and cute owls on branches in the living room. they are a fun easy way to add to a space, and ours have been peeled and re-stuck over and over and are still going strong!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#15 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
we found some fun wall decals at a local store (there is only 2 in town..one is fields and one is a dollar store) they are super fun! im not sure about "brothers" ones but we have alphabet ones with the animal or bug that starts with the letter (a is for ant ect) in the kids bedrooms and cute owls on branches in the living room. they are a fun easy way to add to a space, and ours have been peeled and re-stuck over and over and are still going strong!
Great thanks!! I am going to order them today!!
#16 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

What do you all think about orange or bright lime green for a playroom color?
#17 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokay View Post
the bain of my existence rt now lol
#18 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 PM

That's our living room, too ... but I'm really satisfied w/our arrangement, FINALLY after 6.5 years!
#19 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 02:21 PM

i love love love lime green and orange.. but my experience LIVING in those colours has made me slightly less enthusiastic.. in our last house i painted the living room a vibrant orange and the front hallway lime green..and while i loved it, since moving into my new house which is primarily sage greens and whites/off whites, i have to say that its a lot more calm and peaceful feeling! i guess it depends on the space. if it is just for a playroom, i would say go for it, but i would hesitate if it is also a livingroom or bedroom. im doing a bedroom for my daughter and using a limey green as accent colour.painting her desk and bookshelf and a few other things, but not using it as the wall colour. i think that you can do so much with colour! but whatever you love, follow your heart! its different for everyone.:

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#20 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
the bain of my existence rt now lol
Your area is super cute passionate writer. I envy it!!

Quote:
That's our living room, too ... but I'm really satisfied w/our arrangement, FINALLY after 6.5 years!
Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
i love love love lime green and orange.. but my experience LIVING in those colours has made me slightly less enthusiastic.. in our last house i painted the living room a vibrant orange and the front hallway lime green..and while i loved it, since moving into my new house which is primarily sage greens and whites/off whites, i have to say that its a lot more calm and peaceful feeling! i guess it depends on the space. if it is just for a playroom, i would say go for it, but i would hesitate if it is also a livingroom/bedroom or whatever. im doing a bedroom for my daughter and using a limey green as accent colour, but not as the wall colour. i think that you can do so much with colour! but whatever you love, dfollow your heart! its different for everyone.:
Good point. DO you have any pics of hte paint colors you used? It sounds beautiful. The rest of my home is earth tones.
#21 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 02:47 PM

I thought I posted a link ... hmmm ...

Ok, here it is! These 2 things are in our living room. We do have toys in their shared bedroom but they are mostly just stored and not played with in there. I'll have to take a better shot of the entire LR if I can sometime soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3403656...7612198435293/
#22 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Ok, here it is! These 2 things are in our living room. We do have toys in their shared bedroom but they are mostly just stored and not played with in there. I'll have to take a better shot of the entire LR if I can sometime soon.

Very nice!
#23 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:

very neat

how is the layout of you room? what furnitur do you have in there? thats my biggest prob right now
#24 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 PM

The LR is rectangular and has a big opening into the kitchen. There is a window on either wall, but then a porch door and 2 windows on the other wall that make it hard for shelf/couch placements. The place where the big entertainment center/shelf is now could ONLY fit there in this house. No other place has a large enough wall (and it's not even a large wall, but big enough).

We used to have a couch and a loveseat in here, but it was too crowded so we moved the loveseat upstairs (our room is as large as the LR, it's directly above it in a loft-like area). So right now it's a entertainment center/shelf, couch, expandable table for homeschooling, and a expedit 2x4 shelf for homeschooling/etc. We have extra seating that we can pull out if need be, or we use the massive amount of couch pillows that you will see in one of the pics. These pics are totally raw ... since they were taken during the day, you get to see our mess! No sense picking it up until dinner.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3403656...7612297030784/
#25 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The LR is rectangular and has a big opening into the kitchen. There is a window on either wall, but then a porch door and 2 windows on the other wall that make it hard for shelf/couch placements. The place where the big entertainment center/shelf is now could ONLY fit there in this house. No other place has a large enough wall (and it's not even a large wall, but big enough).

We used to have a couch and a loveseat in here, but it was too crowded so we moved the loveseat upstairs (our room is as large as the LR, it's directly above it in a loft-like area). So right now it's a entertainment center/shelf, couch, expandable table for homeschooling, and a expedit 2x4 shelf for homeschooling/etc. We have extra seating that we can pull out if need be, or we use the massive amount of couch pillows that you will see in one of the pics. These pics are totally raw ... since they were taken during the day, you get to see our mess! No sense picking it up until dinner.

Great set up!! Where did you find the expandable table?
#26 of 81 Old 01-07-2009, 08:39 PM

It's from IKEA - Norden Gateleg.

I have more pics of it here on my HS blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/UnlikelyMother/601765/
#27 of 81 Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:

thats almost exactly my problem. i think our solution is to get rid of a loveseat and recliner but its so hard to make that leap for DP i think. kind of puts us over the edge as far as "kids rule here". but well..they kind of do anyway so we should just admit it and succumb! lol!
#28 of 81 Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 AM

My husband was hesitant to do it too, but it has made an amazing difference! With the way it was before, it looked like the children were taking over. Now I leave some toys/books out but it's definitely not overpowering when it's all put away.
#29 of 81 Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome table that would be perfect!!
#30 of 81 Old 01-12-2009, 04:50 AM

Finally took some pictures of our playrooms!

http://picasaweb.google.com/meghanha...eat=directlink

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page