Keeping it in perspective vs. making progress - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have just returned from a 2-week vacation with my family (DH + 3 boys under 4). We spent a lot of that time camping. When we got home, I was overjoyed to see our house again -- it looked so bright, and spacious, and just lovely. I saw how all our hard work over the past 2 years had paid off to create a beautiful home that really reflects who we are. I also recognized how blessed we are to live in such a charming little place, and to be able to have the things we have, which essentially equates to everything we really need.

The sense of gratitude lasted about 24 hours. Now I just look around and see more work.

I'm torn between trying to regain that sense of contentment, and spurring myself onwards and upwards. I know our needs are basically fulfilled by things as they are, but I can't help thinking about how we could make things better -- not just by acquiring stuff, but by moving this, or painting that, or tidying that etc... etc...

I guess what I'm saying is I have a hard time enjoying my own home because I always feel like I should be working on it in some way, and I don't know when you're supposed to take a breather and just relax and be grateful for what you have IYKWIM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 AM

I KWYM
I battle with this alot.. I will get the house just as I want it and before I know it I sit down and feel like I should be decluttering more or cleaning a bathroom.. I guess its neverending

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 AM

Same here...I find that I am WAY more likely to feel this way during the winter months when we are indoors most the time!

Come spring/summer, my direction turns outdoors, where I am always rearranging the garden...never just sitting down on the patio and enjoying the view...

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 AM

:
Old 01-05-2009, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

I think my biggest problem is knowing it's so good now because we've been working our butts off since we moved in. So I feel like we need to keep going until it's "done", even though I know DONE doesn't exist...
Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 AM

i could have written this post a few weeks ago!!!

the week before christmas we had severe ice storms here in northeast indiana that wiped out power for about a week. dh and i had to move our 2 kids and 2 animals out of our home and into my parent's house........and we stayed with his parents at night. we were out for about 5 days.

we got to move back in the day before christmas eve and i felt the exact same way. it lasted through christmas morning and i looked around and the honeymoon was over! lol!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 AM

I know exactly what you mean. We spent a week out of town with my parents and when we walked in the door I saw my house with new eyes. It seemed so nice and spacious and decluttered. Yes there were a few things out of place that were dislodged in our trek out a week earlier. It lasted only a few hours though before being home with the dogs, 4 kids under 7 and husband had taken its toll. Now, I look around and wonder how in such a short 3 days my house is a mess from one end to the next. Oh, but I did enjoy that brief moment of spacious peace.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 PM

yes, I so so understand this

"Visual Clutter" really gets me down and I can't relax .. sometimes I can't even sleep at night

User Tag List