How many towels do we NEED? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-05-2009, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im getting ready to clear out the linen closet for the 3rd time in 5 months
Its not big enough for what I have packed in there and I need to purge alot of towels
we are a family of 4 and also my 2 kiddos take swimming lessons(keeping 2 towels each for this)
whats a good number? we all take a shower/bath almost everyday I do laundry usually every other day

TY

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#2 of 22 Old 01-05-2009, 01:53 AM

The linen closet is on my to do list for tomorrow! My dh has told me that when he grew up, everyone used a new towel everyday...6 people...that's a lot of laundry, and a waste of time, energy and water in my opinon.

I would love to designate 2 or 3 towels per person - color coded - so I would know who left the wet towel on the bathroom floor! Personally I feel that a towel can be used for a couple of days...that's not gross, is it?

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
#3 of 22 Old 01-05-2009, 01:56 AM

When I lived at home- when I was in high school and such- I remember using a towell ONCE before throwing it in the dirty clothes pile. Looking back, I think that is so ridiculous. All you're doing is drying off your clean body, so the towell just gets a little wet- that's it!!

My husband and I re-use our towels at least a few times before we wash it.
#4 of 22 Old 01-05-2009, 02:10 AM

It's a good question, because I decluttered towels before I moved, and overdid it. I went out and bought a couple more.

One bath towel lasts me about 3-4 days before it starts to smell sour. Sprog's last for a couple of baths. I make sure to dry them thoroughly in between uses. I wash towels about every other week, depending on my and my housemate's schedules, and we have no dryer, so it takes a few days for them to dry in winter. I've got 6 or 7 large bath towels for the two of us, and several smaller ones. Probably 3 dozen terry washcloths, and they get used a lot. (I don't buy any paper other than TP.)

I'm sure I could get away with fewer if my laundry facilities weren't so limited.
#5 of 22 Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM

I think 2 towels per person + 1 swim towel/pp + a few old ones for mopping up dogs and such. We have more than that and we never use them- they just stay in the closet.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#6 of 22 Old 01-05-2009, 05:36 PM

I have 3 ratty ones that are used for big spills, the dog, outside. For good towels, we have a big beach towel for each of us and 3 regular ones for each of us. We rotate towels about every 3 uses. When towels get ratty (takes about 10 years, LOL), I cut them up and add them to my kitchen stock of hand towels.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#7 of 22 Old 01-05-2009, 05:38 PM

We have 2 a piece (coler coded and monagramed so I know whose towel is on the floor) and 2-3 grubbies for dogs and camp.
#8 of 22 Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM

I have two complete sets of towels. Each set has four matching towels, washcloths, and hand towels. I have three beach towels and two small microfiber camping towels for camping and swimming. I also keep a few misc non-matching towels that belonged to old sets for when we have a lot of company (the stained or damaged towels from old sets are in the basement for messy automotive and home repair projects).

There are three people in my family. Everyone gets their own towel, hand towel, and washcloth for the week. I wash towels once a week, unless they get musty sooner. It's nice to have two sets, so I can put out one while the other is in the laundry. This seems like just enough towels for us. HTH!
#9 of 22 Old 01-05-2009, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to replace our bath towels with thin, smaller ones so that the ones that we have will stay fresh longer (not take hours to dry out in our bathroom). We do laundry very regularly so 2 per person is enough. I am eyeing these Turkish hammam towels -- they seem very practical.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#10 of 22 Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 PM

How many times are the towels used before they are washed?
I think this greatly impacts how many you need.
I think I wash my towel about every 5 days maybe? The kids less because they don't shower every day.

Also, you could try taking a few out for a week or so and see if you have enough, then a couple more, etc. If after a couple of months you don't need them in normal rotation, you have your answer? I usually keep a few extra in there for the unexpected things like a kid vomiting in the middle of the night or a guest (not the same towels!). The dog towels are kept in the basement. Swim towels (we only swim a few times in the summer) are kept in the kid's closets and pulled into rotation when the time comes.
#11 of 22 Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I think 2 per person, a couple for the pool, and a couple of 'barf towels'.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#12 of 22 Old 01-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
I want to replace our bath towels with thin, smaller ones so that the ones that we have will stay fresh longer (not take hours to dry out in our bathroom). We do laundry very regularly so 2 per person is enough. I am eyeing these Turkish hammam towels -- they seem very practical.
Oooh... those look really nice. Quick drying, more packable. Our towels are getting really ratty. Actually they have been ratty for a long time, but I trimmed the rattiest bit and rehemmed them.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#13 of 22 Old 01-06-2009, 03:09 PM

we take a clean towel for every bath / shower ... and I change the hand towels every morning

I do one load of laundry every morning .. thats it
#14 of 22 Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 PM

We are a family of 4 and we have about 2 towels per person, plus several swim towels and grubby towels for pet messes and puke!
#15 of 22 Old 01-06-2009, 03:33 PM

we have two bath towels in our bathroom - one each for me & dh to use in the mornings, and one for each of the boys to use at night. yes, we share. everyone gets a dry towel, so? i suppose when the boys are older, we'll each have our own, but it doesn't seem to matter right now (kids are 3 yrs and nearly 2 yrs).

they get switched every few days, when one gets left on the floor or pulled into the bath tub or the dog gets ahold of it (he loves damp towel). i have three sets with bath towels, hand towels, and wash cloths, plus extra wash cloths and "milk towels" as i still think of them from the newborn days.
#16 of 22 Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 AM

2 towels per person here- plus 3 washclothes per person.
1 swim towel each
5 old ratty towels that have been cut in half for "oops" and cleaning.

We actually color coded ours as well.
Pink for DD
Green for DH
Teal for me :-D

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#17 of 22 Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 AM

I'd like to have one pretty set for each bathroom. They are for decoration, for guests, and for drying hands. No storage used because they live on the rack.
Add to that, one big bath towel per person per week. We have our towel rack over the heat vent so they dry nicely, otherwise they don't last a week.
Then I have two hair towels that are thin and wrap nice.

I do have a big stack of towels that are bleached out from cat urine - my dear departed kitty-kitty used them as a litter box filler when she was sick in her last year of life. They were my good towels, but she needed them more than I did.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#18 of 22 Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM

For our family of 4, we have 6 nice quality bath towels. We have 6 hand towels. I've got 2 large beach towels and 4 grubby towels (for school field trips, or for use when I colour my hair).

We each use a towel at least 4 times, or if it smells icky. I'd go crazy if everyone changed towels every day!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#19 of 22 Old 01-07-2009, 10:32 PM

We are a family of four and we have about nineteen hundred million towels.
Okay, not really, but we have way way too many. I would say 30-40. Some are hooded towels for the kids, some are too ratty to use, some are beach towels, some are new towels. I have no idea where we got most of them.
I'm really loving the idea of the monogrammed ones. I'm going to steal that when we have the money to replace ours.

I have a question though, i 'm realizing after reading this that i have a major towel decluttering to do, but what do i do with all the extras? I mean they aren't nice, should i donate them, throw them away? any ideas?

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#20 of 22 Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post

I have a question though, i 'm realizing after reading this that i have a major towel decluttering to do, but what do i do with all the extras? I mean they aren't nice, should i donate them, throw them away? any ideas?
Oh goodness, don't throw them out! Offer them up to freecycle! I know any animal shelter would be mighty grateful to take any towel in any condition also.
#21 of 22 Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 PM

We wash towels once a week and hang them to dry well in between times.

One bath towel per person and one swim towel per person. The swim towels can double as spare bath towels. We only do swimming in the spring/summer and hang swim towels on the line outside to dry so they stay fresh.

We also have a set of guest towels, which can also double as backup bath towels, plus a set of 4 ratty towels and assorted terrycloth rags that I use to clean up messes and floods.
#22 of 22 Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 PM

We each have 2 bath towels- color coded. We also have one swimming towel each and those swim towells live in the swim bag, to keep them out of the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page