Tell me how do you organize your days? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
This is really it in a nutshell. When I follow my kids' ( and my own) daily rhythms and make routines that accentuate the positive and alleviate the negative, then things are much more calm and productive. Meals, housework, schoolwork, and other necessities of life like paying the bills are easier to get done. It just takes some time and attention to get into the natural flow of things.
Exactly! It does take some time and effort to find but once you do everything is easier. Well, as easy as life gets with kids and a home.
#32 of 42 Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadlibrarian View Post
From looking at the Motivated Mom planner, this seems to be very similar, and is FREE to boot:

This first post explains the concept, and allows you to view it:
http://simplemom.net/daily-docket/

And you can download it (along with her other home management notebook stuff) here:
http://simplemom.net/home-management...-a-great-idea/
Thank you for the links.
#33 of 42 Old 01-09-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

the rythms and the ebbs & flows of each family/person make alot of sense to me. it clicks.

you all who do this are very in tune to narrow it down to that.......or is there a book out there that i need to read that i obviously don't know about.
#34 of 42 Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
the rythms and the ebbs & flows of each family/person make alot of sense to me. it clicks.

you all who do this are very in tune to narrow it down to that.......or is there a book out there that i need to read that i obviously don't know about.
I don't know of any book, but I'd love to know if there was one, too! For me, mealtimes were the starting point, then naptimes fit in there. Overall, it was trial and error and talking with friends about what works for them. I don't think that there is only one right solution. When my house is becoming messier, then I try to focus on it more, and when my kids are fighting too much, or becoming unruly, I take that as a cue that I have erred too much on side of housework.

Honestly though, I am constantly struggling with trying to find a balance with housework and kids. I am not a very rigid person and so schedules don't last long for me. I did look at the links that nomadlibrarian posted - they are helpful. I am always looking for suggestions though, so I'll be lurking here....
#35 of 42 Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 PM

No book that I know of (but what a great idea!). I found this way by brainstorming and discussing it with a group of moms who I met through mdc and were all having similar challenges of keeping home and finding rhythm with young kids.

Actually, you know what did start the idea of "rhythm" for me was reading through the Enki homeschooling guides that a friend has-they focus on it a lot.
#36 of 42 Old 01-09-2009, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If anyone knows of a book, I'm all ears!
#37 of 42 Old 01-10-2009, 01:55 PM

I just started using something similar to motivated moms. I took all the chores listed in the 2002 free book and added some of my own and took away those of hers that don't apply to us. I also got rid of cleaning baseboards, etc because as far as I am concerned that is low low priority with a newborn on the way - I figure if I remember to do it while dusting the room or vacuuming the room - then great. The thing I love about it is that you just do what is on the list for the day. It has totally helped with me not feeling overwhelmed. The daily chore list is also great. I took some things off - like cleaning the bathroom sinks I do every 3 or 4 days so it is on my other list instead of on the daily list. I basically set it up in excel and have it tweaked it as I have gotten into doing it. For instance, I had vacuum 2nd floor - and during the 2nd week I realized that it just wasn't going to happen - the only thing on the 2nd floor is bedrooms - so I moved it to every other week. I try to get most things done first thing in the morning but sometimes some of them have to wait until dh gets home and I have some help. This has opened so much more time for me to spend with dd - quality time.
#38 of 42 Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 PM

Replying to the message you sent me earlier ...

First, life with children the ages of yours is harder than it is with the ages of mine. Accepting that fact will help you. I wasn't this organized when my oldest was 4.5. I wanted to be, but I was exhausted, just trying to get through the day most of the time! So, give yourself some slack.

Okay ... as far as schedules and such, I don't have those. I did make a list of what I need to/want to do in the day, and we chip away at it all day long. A big thing for me is keeping the house clean enough that I wouldn't mind someone dropping by. For some reason, when the house is like that, it helps me be much more productive.

I have tried to follow various schedules and they just didn't work for ME. I know they work for others, but it just didn't for me.

Hmmm ... what else ... I guess I would say to give yourself some slack, especially having such a new little one. Evaluate things in a little while and see what you need to do. For me, my "must do" list includes getting dressed, eating, homeschooling, studying for myself, etc".

My 3 year old is helpful, but nowhere near as helpful as my 5.5 year old and 7 year old. It will come for you, though! Feel free to PM me again if you want!
#39 of 42 Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 PM

subbing so I can absorb a smidgen of this wealth of knowledge being shared...

Theoretica

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#40 of 42 Old 01-13-2009, 02:57 AM

I am not aware of any books that talk about what a few of us are specifically noting. I didn't even realize THAT was the key for anyone besides me. LOL

I am not sure exactly when I figured it out, but I do recall reading a book a LONG time ago that suggested paying attention to when your best working times were (a career-type book) and doing the hardest tasks then and aiming to do the easiest tasks during your worst times of the work day. I vividly recall this REALLY helping me in my career years. I started paying closer attention to the time I started perking up at the office. Start and end times were not flexible at that point, so I had to be at work by 8:30 am. I began figuring out that I really only needed a half-hour of quiet, don't talk to me time. I wasn't exactly able to tell the President to leave me alone LOL, so I spent that first hour listening to voicemails and pulling out certain paperwork (in another room). Both activities lended themselves nicely to not being interrupted. From about 9 am to about 2-3 pm, I could really focus and work on detailed projects and meet with people, etc. That is still to this day my absolute BEST time of every day. Then, I sort of have a mini crash and need a break from brain work. IF I listen to my body and switch gears to a physical task (walking around the building back then, walking to pick up DD from school now) and eat a little and drink a little, then I am often good to go from 4 or 5 to 10 or 11 pm provided I eat dinner and keep up my fluids. In the working world, I switched to monotonous jobs from 2-4 or 3-5 pm (or whenever I felt the call), like returning easy phone calls/emails, printing reports that were already finished and maybe just needed editing or formatting, tidying up my desk from the whirlwind of activity of the rest of the day , etc. Nowadays, this is generally our downtime where DD & I hang out together doing fairly quiet activities (as quiet as child-oriented play gets...LOL). When I worked part-time when I was pregnant and subsequently when DD was a babe-in-arms who came to work with me, I worked 9-2 four days a week. OH, THIS WAS BLISS!!! For me... LOL I sure had to adapt my working habits a lot with an infant in a holistic health office where peace and tranquility reigned.

Anyway, I just tried new things and adapted when things seemed to be good for a repeatable pattern. I learned the hard way when my DD was at her best and worst and all the rest. It was like I had forgotten my own patterns, too, and had to relearn them and adapt them to fit hers. She is a MUCH earlier riser than I am by nature and her best time of the day is MUCH earlier than mine. This seemed to take me an inordinate amount of time to figure out. LOL Oh gee, maybe because I myself was sleep-deprived. LOL

I would suggest carrying around a little notebook or create a document on your computer to take some notes for each member of your family. Start with just one person, perhaps yourself, and think about the following each day for a few days (just a couple minutes a few times a day or maybe 10 minutes once a day):

~ natural waking times (without alarms or other people's alarms)
~ natural sleeping times (this can be very challenging, in my experience, in our society)
~ typical hunger patterns (My DD has ALWAYS been an "every two hours" kid. She has a super high metabolism and MUST eat frequently. I am forever grateful to a friend who told me to breastfeed her first every time she cried when she was about a month old and I was simply freaking out. The child went from 0 to 60 in 30 seconds flat! I had no idea just how hungry she was. I am so different in this regard.)
~ times when the person usually smiles easily, follow directions, can focus on an age-appropriate task, appears to have energy and enthusiasm for most activities - even those that are not favorites, etc.
~ challenging times no matter what you do or say or provide

After you get a feel for one person in the family, do the same for the next. And the next, etc. Include DH for his days off and especially for after work timeframes. You can ask these people questions, too. Obviously really little ones cannot answer, but even little kids know when they are hungry or want to play or snuggle, etc. You know your kids anyway. When are they clingy? When does everyone hang off of you? When can you finally get to the toilet? When do you shower?

Look for clues in your days and fill in the notebook. Then, match your notes to timeframes and fit the pieces of the puzzle together. You have five people in your family, so it may take you awhile to gather your notes, etc. That is okay. Consciously trying to mesh the natural habits of five people into one 10-14 hour day might be a little time-consuming, but I know it has saved my family immeasurable amounts of time and energy. I highly recommend it!

I hope this helps.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#41 of 42 Old 03-18-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
This is really it in a nutshell. When I follow my kids' ( and my own) daily rhythms and make routines that accentuate the positive and alleviate the negative, then things are much more calm and productive. Meals, housework, schoolwork, and other necessities of life like paying the bills are easier to get done. It just takes some time and attention to get into the natural flow of things.

My kids, I've noticed, have really taken to having daily routines that we follow. (I've even caught my 12yo reading my Home Binder with interest. ) I do look at the clock, though, and try to keep to a set schedule around dinner/bedtime. My 5yo needs to be in bed by 7:00 or she is a bear to wake up for school in the morning. Knowing this, I plan to start dinner by 5 and have bath-time directly after we eat since my 2yo is always covered in food from dinner. In the morning, we also have to pay attention to the clock so that the girls are on time to school. Other times are more flexible, though. And I know that it's going to be so much harder to follow a schedule with a newborn, so I'm probably going to have to allot more time to tasks that need to be done by a certain time.
does your 5yo get upset to go to bed before your 2yo? that is a problem we would have, but it makes sense for my 4.5yo to go to bed first, because he does not get a nap and his 2.5yo brother does. but i also know i would hear endless whining about why does c-pup get to stay up and c-dog does not.

so we have moved across the country since i posted this and i am still very interested in figuring out our rhythms and hearing about others.
#42 of 42 Old 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM

I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old and they usually go to bed around the same time, but for similar reasons sometimes the 4 year old goes first. I usually just tell the truth, that ds2 still needs to be cleaned up and will go to bed after that. We don't do much older/younger stuff besides talking about what ds2 can look forward too (like riding bikes and such). Also, i might say that ds2 needs the ergo to fall asleep tonight (if he stays up he does) so dad will take care of that while I help ds1 get settled.

good luck figuring it out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page