Cleaning or Organizing? What's harder for you? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried to answer this within the model of clean vs organize but really couldn't. For me, I prefer DEEP cleaning to regular cleaning.

I'm AWFUL at day-to-day cleaning. It takes me forever. And the results aren't even that great.

Fortunately DH is great at it. In 20 minutes he can take a room that is a DISASTER (I'm talking stuff all over the floor, boxes piled up, laundry everywhere, toys underfoot, the WORST) and make it look pretty respectable. But he WILL leave clutter on the edges of the room (on dressers, desks, etc.). He'll make it "ok" (straightened up etc.) but that's as far as he goes.

Enter me. I will take that clutter and work through it. I'm not fast but I'm thorough. I'm the one who will move furniture to sweep/vacuum under; DH won't. I will be dusting windowsills; DH won't. I will make a pile of clutter disappear; DH won't. When I'm done with a room, it will look ready for for a visit from GRANDMOTHER (you know, the one who wipes her finger on the door top and goes "tsk tsk").

But if I have to start from the beginning, I just can't do it. Period. It will take me a MONTH to do it from the beginning. I will CRY.

So for me, cleaning and organizing have to be one and the same.

Unfortunately it just hasn't worked out since having DD. Right now we have 1 room in the house that is clean, and the rest are disasters. DH cleans them all about twice a week, but it's only when I do my stuff that things STAY that way (well, for about 3 months or so).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#32 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 04:50 PM

i hate both. i like the IDEA of organizing more...i think more about it...think about it constantly, actually...but i'm awful at DOING it.

i never ever think about cleaning, but i'm much better at doing that than i am at organizing.
#33 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 PM

I organize things. But, I NEVER clean. Seriously, when I lived alone, everything was meticulously organized, but there was dirt/dust everywhere. Thinking back, it was a little gross, lol. Still, THAT is how much I hate cleaning.

Now, luckily, I'm with someone who hates to organize but doesn't mind cleaning. So, I do the organizing and he does the cleaning. Except dishes and laundry - I see those as part of organizing.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#34 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 PM

I suck at organizing. I'm ok with cleaning. And I, too, lump dishes and laundry into organizing (and suck at both those things!)

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#35 of 47 Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Organizing and as a result picking up.

I actually love cleaning.....but don't often get to do it.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#36 of 47 Old 01-15-2009, 04:28 PM

I don't mind organizing things in a clean space, or cleaning in an organized, decluttered space. Given a choice, I'd much rather organize than clean.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#37 of 47 Old 01-15-2009, 08:15 PM

I can't organize. Or at least, I'm no good at it. I'm learning - slowly - what works for our family.

But cleaning is fun! Dishes, laundry, scrubbing floors... I find it fascinating.
#38 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 AM

Cleaning is much easier for me than organizing.

With cleaning it's like, well I'll just shove everything out of the way, clean it and then ... oh god no! Now I've got to organize it! And figuring out where to put stuff so that it's not in the way, but I can get to it when I want it... well that's tricky.

I always think though, that if I'm going to organize, I have to clean first - problem is when I finish cleaning, I get tired of the whole thing, and then don't feel like doing the organizing and it kind of just sits there. I know it's clean, it just doesn't look very 'neat'.
#39 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
organizing! if someone would just get all my crap put away so that it was tidy and organized I would sweep and dust and mop all the time. I have very high hopes for the next month - we plan to move march 1st and I want my next home to be extremely organized.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#40 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I organize things. But, I NEVER clean. Seriously, when I lived alone, everything was meticulously organized, but there was dirt/dust everywhere. Thinking back, it was a little gross, lol. Still, THAT is how much I hate cleaning.
HA HA, that was me pre-kids. My closet would be organized by color and sleeve-length (still is) but I wouldn't be able to walk through my room because of the papers, clothes, stuffed animals, knick-knacks, etc. piled 2 feet deep.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#41 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Oh my gosh, if only there was some sort of exchange program where we could pair up ... you organize my closets and I'll mop your floors -- I would totally sign up.

I hate organizing, probably because I am bad at it -- I get overwhelmed and frustrated and just end up sweeping things into a box and shoving it in the back of a closet somewhere, or I start projects and don't finish them.

Cleaning, on the other hand, to me, are simple tasks with easily break-down-able steps that result in noticeable improvements. Maybe I'm just a manual labour gal at heart, but give me cleaning any day over organizing.

Becca, mommy to my little pumpkin DS (10/09)
#42 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 PM

I hate cleaning, despise it, but i love organizing. Its so fun to me. Its been that way since i was a kid too. I would love to do an exchange program My mom knows how much i love organizing and she is always trying to get me to start a business doing it.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#43 of 47 Old 01-17-2009, 12:39 PM

interesting thread!

interior design is my background so organization is a passion. :

cleaning, on the other hand, i would GLADLY pay someone else to do. while they totally go hand in hand, i do not ENJOY cleaning....at all. i keep a very clean house because i can't stand to live in filth, however, i would happliy hand that job over to someone else......someone that could do it so i could concentrate on the things i actually enjoy going, like organizing, decorating, etc.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#44 of 47 Old 01-17-2009, 12:55 PM

I actually like to clean but hate organizing and picking up.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#45 of 47 Old 01-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Organizing. But only because I have a husband to consider and not enough money to organize things the way I really want to.

Cleaning is easy, I do it every day : (well okay I'm not that happy about it but at least I do it and it doesn't drive me totally nuts)
#46 of 47 Old 01-17-2009, 04:41 PM

i hate doing both. i don't know if i can adequately describe how much i dislike both cleaning and organizing. neither is harder than the other for me, and i'm good at doing both; they each have equal pain-in-the-butt factor, just in different ways. however, i also dislike being grossed out in my own home, and not being able to find things is the mental equivalent of chinese water torture for me. so i do the absolute minimum i can get away with while cursing every minute of it, to get the minimal satisfaction of not having to do it again for a little while.

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#47 of 47 Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM

I like to clean and to organize. I HATE HATE HATE picking up all the crap that everyone leaves out in order to do so.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page