Cleaning or Organizing? What's harder for you? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me: Cleaning. I could organize all day. I love it. Cleaning is harder, I mean how fun can sweeping the floor for the millionth time be? Any tips on how to make cleaning fun?

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#2 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Organizing. I have no issues with cleaning, but I can not seem to get things organized. I have no tips on making it fun, because I don't think that is possible I feel like I can not relax in a messy home so I keep it clean to bring my stress levels down.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#3 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 05:45 PM

I don't like cleaning, but I love organizing.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#4 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Love to organize, hate to clean. I don't see how it's even remotely possible to make mopping, dusting, and wiping down the toilet enjoyable in the least.

The only solution I have is to stay on top of the cleaning as much as possible. Cleaning the toilet isn't as gross if you do it every day. I just need to follow my own advice more often and not wait until the floor is filthy before I mop it.
#5 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 PM

I hate organizing (and incidentally, am not good at it) but don't mind the actual cleaning such as vacuuming, mopping, even bathrooms...

none of it's any fun, of course, I just get overwhelmed with clutter and trying to figure out where to put everything in order to be able to clean.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Organizing!

I am better at actually cleaning. I know I am not great at organizing so I try not to have too much stuff.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#7 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Those are 2 of my favorite things in the entire world (decorating too).

Cleaning and organizing should go hand-in-hand (as you organize, you're cleaning). Do you mean cleaning as in dishes, toilets, windows? stuff like that?

If so, clean before you organize. Kind of like eating your broccoli before you have dessert

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#8 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 07:28 PM

I adore sweeping and vacuuming because they mean my floors are clear.
#9 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 PM

Hate to clean. Love to organize. I just wish things would stay organized when I walk away. DP absolutely can not see when something has been organized and sometimes even after it is explained he still doesn't get it. I don't know if it is an ADD thing or a simple lack of appreciation of my efforts, but it drives me crazy. I would have a wonderfully organized home, with dust bunnies of course, if I lived alone.

Amanda, mama to my three giggling girls aged 12yrs, 7.5yrs and 3yrs.
#10 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Love organizing.....hate cleaning. Although cleaning IS easier if my house is organized
#11 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM

Reading and listening to music!

This reality is quite strongly reflected in the state of my house.

computergeek2.gif

#12 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM

I prefer organizing because at least there's the slight possibility that I won't have to do it all again in the near future. Also, I get to use my brain more.
#13 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammsma View Post
Hate to clean. Love to organize. I just wish things would stay organized when I walk away. DP absolutely can not see when something has been organized and sometimes even after it is explained he still doesn't get it. I don't know if it is an ADD thing or a simple lack of appreciation of my efforts, but it drives me crazy. I would have a wonderfully organized home, with dust bunnies of course, if I lived alone.
Remember that systems work best when everyone involved in using them helps create the system.

For instance, our system was: I ask dh for feedback on organizing ideas, he says "whatever" and then I got to mock him without guilt when he can't find anything.

But somehow, I think because I pointed out that he can never find things, he's started being involved and by being involved he comes up with good solutions to stuff.
#14 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownZoo View Post
Reading and listening to music!

This reality is quite strongly reflected in the state of my house.
:

I am no good at organizing and that makes cleaning hard for me. I don't mind vacuuming. Cleaning really goes much better for me when I can listen to "This American Life", "Wait wait..don't tell me" or some good music on my ipod while I do it. This means cleaning after the boys are in bed and reading always seems like such a nice thing to do after they go to sleep...

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#15 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Cleaning. Im not good at organizing, which might be why I have to clean so much.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#16 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 01:38 PM

I'm one of the few that actually enjoys cleaning - it's almost like an 'escape' for me like gardening or painting. I do enjoy organizing, too, but can never really keep it the way I would like to for more than 2 weeks. It's frustrating.
#17 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 03:14 PM

I don't mind organizing but I hate cleaning. I love to have a clean house, though.

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#18 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM

I hate both.when I win the lottery I will have no problem paying someone else to do it until then,I manage,just.

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#19 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 03:36 PM

I prefer organizing to cleaning

Also -- if I have limited time -- I can live with the fact the floors need sweeping or I need to dust .. but it stresses me out to come home to "messy" and stuff everywhere
#20 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post
Also -- if I have limited time -- I can live with the fact the floors need sweeping or I need to dust .. but it stresses me out to come home to "messy" and stuff everywhere
I'm the exact opposite. I'd take 'messy' over 'dirty' any day. I can stand clean laundry on the couch far more easily than a floor that needs mopping.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#21 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM

I would much rather clean than organize. I love after everything is organized but getting there is such a problem for me. I have visions of a perfectly organized house, but I know realisticly it won't happen anytime soon. It also seems I reorganize the same space about 5 times before I'm okay with it. Or i just give up.

Cleaning seems much simpler to me. YOu have a simple task, you do it, it's done. Where as organizing requires a lot more thought. ( I think i overthink things lol)
#22 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 04:46 PM

I prefer organizing to cleaning.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#23 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 PM

is it crazy to say neither?
i enjoy them both, and i agree with a previous poster that you really cant have one without the other. i love the act of cleaning and organizing. i love cranking my music up and making it fun. its something i do daily (although somehow my house never looks as good as i think it should..3 kids later!) some days i get down to it more than others.. certainly some things i dilike doing..uch as litter boxes..but once its done i feel so : its worth it!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#24 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Much prefer organizing.
#25 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 05:10 PM

I really enjoy organizing! I actually find it relaxing.... But, cleaning is a different story. Except for laundry (which I really enjoy), I really dislike activities like sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, scouring the tub and toilet, and degreasing the stove top and oven. Little cleaning tasks, such as wiping down counters and cleaning mirrors and windows (the inside), are a breeze. The following has helped with the "icky" stuff...

*If I wear DD while cleaning the floors I tend to enjoy the activity more (especially since DD loves the vacuum cleaner!).

*Dusting is made easier with a microfiber cloth.

*A bubble bath usually follows a tub cleaning.

*I regularly clean the toilet during DD's evening bath. DD is an amusing distraction from this unpleasant task. Plus, the toilet gets cleaned before it gets too dirty!

*But, I have yet to find a way that makes cleaning the stove top and oven more "enjoyable."

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#26 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Same here.
#27 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post
Me: Cleaning. I could organize all day. I love it. Cleaning is harder, I mean how fun can sweeping the floor for the millionth time be? Any tips on how to make cleaning fun?
I would rather organise than clean. A tip to make cleaning more fun - wear a pretty apron! Sounds funny, but somehow when I put my apron on, I feel more like doing my cleaning jobs. My mom sewed me a really fun apron, inspired by an apron that my sister bought on a trip to Spain. Not exactly as shown, but sort of the idea: http://www.flamenco-spain.com/gourme...hite-dots.html

I find that giving myself a specific task to do helps, instead of just having a great big list of things that need to be cleaned. So I feel that I accomplished something good when my goal of the day was to clean the bathrooms. If I get something else done, even better. But for sure I have done one big task. This is also partly a motivation thing with being pregnant, so I don't start feeling too discouraged that things aren't getting done.

I do find that by being organised, it is easier to clean. If things are untidy, as well as dirty, it is harder to know what to get at and how! If things have a place, I can get to the cleaning task right away. Some weeks are sure better than others!

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#28 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 05:40 PM

Organizing is much harder for me. But it is definitely harder to clean when things are disorganized (like today!)

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#29 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM

This is not a straightforward answer - while I enjoy organizing, I find it more difficult than cleaning. I think this is because it is much harder to find the time to organize and I can't work on it while DS is awake. Also, organizing is less tangible, more time-consuming, and often creates more of a mess while you are in the process of organizing. Cleaning on the other hand, is an immediate reward and usually only takes me a few moments for any given project. But I would rather organize DS's toys over cleaning the toilet any day!
#30 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:

I'm the same, perhaps because I am moderately myopic and seldom wear my glasses. I can see the mess but I can't see the dirt . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page