YOUR FRIDGE~how often do you clean it out? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I go through and remove any forgotten leftovers and anything that looks icky the night before trash day - so once a week for a quick cleaning. I rarely take everything out of the frig and deep clean...maybe twice a year. Any drips or leaks are cleaned up when I find them.
#32 of 48 Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
Usually by shopping day my fridge is a barren wasteland so it's not a big deal.
so is mine!
#33 of 48 Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
I clean out stuff that's gone bad or expired as soon as I notice. As for actually *cleaning* it....ummm...just before Christmas I pulled the shelves & drawer out & cleaned everything for the first time since we lived here....which is almost 4 years. Once a month seems extreme to me...or maybe I just don't get that much spilled in there? I can't imagine spending that much time cleaning my fridge every month. Even my mom never did it that often & she was much, much neater than I've ever been.
That is so me. I throw things away when I notice fur/colours that shouldn't be there or when I can't remember when it was even put in the fridge. The fridge itself gets spotcleaned when something spills. I can't remember the last time I saw the bottom of our chest freezer.

I'm also supposed to say that my DH can't believe that people clean their fridge every month. His words - "Yeah right".

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#34 of 48 Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 PM

I keep my fridge fairly clear of leftovers and expired foods and condiments.

I do a deep cleaning where everything comes out and super cleaned about every three to four months.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#35 of 48 Old 01-21-2009, 04:51 PM

I felt slack until I saw that I was in good company. We have leftover night about twice a week and that usually takes care of leftovers. I pullout any gross things the night before trash day like pp. I do wipe up a spill when that happens, but other than that I think my mom might have taken everything out and actually cleaned it when I was in labor with my now 2yr old. #3 is die in July so maybe it will get cleaned out again then.

We are planning on defrosting the freezer this month which has not been done before (I think we bought it 5yr ago or manybe even longer)! I always try to eat things do to what can be stored in the small freezer so that we can defrost but then I run into a really great sale and blow it.
#36 of 48 Old 01-21-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

well i finally got around to it on monday after reading all of these posts!

it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. i took EVERYTHING out, washed all inside compartments, shelves, glass with soapy water and wiped down with dry cloths and put everything back in all neat and tidy like! i even organised condiments by type ( ocd much?) i only had to compost a few things (left over and forgotten pumpkin mash..some sketchy caesar salad dressing in a jar..orange juice from the food bank that didnt get used up because of allergies.. and not a whole lot more!) it wasso nice waking up and making lunches and breakfasts out of my newly sparkling fridge. i think mondays will be fridge day from now on

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#37 of 48 Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM

I used to clean the fridge every time we moved- so maybe every year or so
Now that we own, well, we bought the fridge in Nov... the baby is 10 weeks... mmmm... I might get around to it in a month or so?
I toss the gross stuff about every two weeks. Ok, sometimes 3.

I vote I clean mine "seasonally"

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#38 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM

I toss leftovers whenever I notice something in there I can't identify.

Really, though, I don't have a schedule. I just toss things whenever I notice they're they've been in there a little while. As for deep cleaning, it's the same sort of thing. I wash it down whenever it looks as though it needs it - usually once a month, or so (with spot cleaning in between).

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#39 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 PM

Oh, Lord, you mean I have to clean THAT thing out too?

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#40 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 PM

when we move. or when we have a hurricane. whichever comes first.

seriously - I try to keep it somewhat clean, but I don't actually "clean" it unless it's disgusting or unless I have to ... if something smells, or leaks, or if I need the space for something else.

I cleaned my freezer in 2007, and I broke the ice maker, so I'm not particularly motivated to do that again. I was inspired to do a deep-kitchen-clean, and I guess I got over-zealous. Didn't do the fridge after that ... now I need to clean out my upright freezer and get it ready to sell. I've been saying that since Hurricane Ike blew through in September. We lost power, but we were able to keep the freezer cold enough with a borrowed generator.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#41 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 PM

I clean it all the time... will take out a shelf at a time and clean it.

I was so proud that our new fridge didn't have those coils on the back that you have to vacuum, until I replaced the water filter and realized there are coils *under* the front of the fridge. Yuck, what a scary spot that was!!

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#42 of 48 Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
I toss anything nasty out every 3-4 days. The actually take everything out and clean every surface type of cleaning? Once a month. That is when I toss expired salad dressings, 9/10th empty bottles of ketchup, etc. as well.
That exactly!
#43 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervee View Post
I clean it all the time... will take out a shelf at a time and clean it.

I was so proud that our new fridge didn't have those coils on the back that you have to vacuum, until I replaced the water filter and realized there are coils *under* the front of the fridge. Yuck, what a scary spot that was!!
:Pukethat's what i discovered yesterday after moving the fridge to clean behind and under and around. and HOW Do you clean those damn things? i tried vacuuming but its nearly impossible! nasty and gross.. and yuck.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#44 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM

I'm about to do my first deep clean on my fridge and we've had it for... IDK at least three months...I don't have a schedule, obviously! I really need to do it more!
#45 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
:Pukethat's what i discovered yesterday after moving the fridge to clean behind and under and around. and HOW Do you clean those damn things? i tried vacuuming but its nearly impossible! nasty and gross.. and yuck.
I vacuumed it with the little brush attachment. And wiped it, too. Found all kinds of goodies under there, too.

#46 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I vacuumed it with the little brush attachment. And wiped it, too. Found all kinds of goodies under there, too.
all i could access was the very front of the coils.maybe a different design? . all the rest are totally hidden under the fridge! the only way i can think of cleaning it properly is tipping the fridge on its back..not exactly something done easily and im not sure if you are even supposed to do that ever with a fridge. but i too found some treasures! its amazing how many things get shoved under the fridge!

Quote:

#47 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
NOOOOOOO!
I actually picked one out that doesn't even fit the kitchen because of that feature (remodeling sometime in the next 2 years- we are going to have to knock out part of a WALL just for the fridge!)
Great- where is the instruction manual when I need it?

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#48 of 48 Old 01-23-2009, 01:17 PM

They were tilted up towards the front. I *think* I got the whole coil. Well, now I'm worried.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page