moving in a few months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It looks fairly likely that we will move to a new apartment at the end of May. I am pretty sure that I will be able to squeeze in enough time to get our current place de-cluttered, organized, and nicely squared away... by mid-May. Part of me thinks "what's the point, when we will just have to pack it up again-- I would just be wasting my very limited time." But part of me thinks there is a flaw in that logic, which I am not seeing somehow. Can someone help me see it?
#2 of 4 Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're moving (hopefully) next month, and I have been working since mid-December on getting decluttered and organized. It has been a fulfilling and rewarding endeavor, and I'm so glad I did not wait until we move into a new place to start.

First of all, decluttering means moving less stuff. That's always good.

Having organized stuff makes packing it up and moving it easier, too, not to mention unpacking it and putting it where it goes in the new home.

I'm also looking at this as developing good habits that will follow me into the new place where I will only become better at being neat, clean, and organized.
#3 of 4 Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 PM

Yeah, that. We're moving in July, but it's a long-distance move and we're having a baby between now and then so I'm already starting the decluttering and organizing process. I don't want to move one more thing than I have to! And I want to know exactly what I have when we get there, and have firmly-seated habits to carry me through the newborn phase and settling into our new home.
#4 of 4 Old 01-18-2009, 12:14 AM

It will make it easier to move!

Less stuff, stuff is grouped and organized, you know what you have so you can inventory at the old place and move it to the new place.

We have lived in 8 places in 7 years. If you know what you have it is less stressful to move. If you move a bunch of stuff you don't need it is frustrating and tiring.

Plus you still live in your home until MAY! You want to make your home better for you now! I mean you wouldn't stop cleaning because you'll have to clean when you move out, right?

I also agree with lemongrass that it is about developing good habits.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page