Name your nemesis. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd say kids rooms are terrible-always, and i'm sure that is a given for most parents w/young kids.

Our small desk in our dining room- it starts with just my school books, then a newspaper, then the mail- then a water bottle, then a place to play with toys. The tiny drawer is our junk drawer- anything goes in there. Batteries, lego pieces, other random stuff that needs fixed.

On top of our desk in our office- bills, paperwork, schoolwork, toys, agh.

Quote:
so cmon ladies what is your mortal enemy when it comes to keeping an organized home? and how can it be defeated?
Really, the answer to this is dh, and my kids, and i guess the only way to defeat them is to move out

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#32 of 41 Old 02-02-2009, 05:25 PM

I have a few

~ the buffet in the dining room
~ the top of the microwave in the kitchen
~ the bed in the guestroom

~ and my dresser

and... and... and....

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#33 of 41 Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Oh, yeah, we have lots of those. The worst is the surface that's at the bottom of the stairs, where they curve. So it's the height of a kitchen counter if you're standing on the ground floor, and it's right in front of the freakin' front door. So people drop everything there as they come in the house, plus things they plan to take upstairs next time they go up there, etc., etc., etc. But it's right in front of the door, so it's the first thing you see. : It's almost always a huge cluttered mess w/in an hour of me clearing everything off of it.

Then there are the end tables in our living room, which are always covered in books, abandoned drinks, and mail. The worst is the closet under our stairs. It's officially my laundry-sorting closet, but it's everyone's favorite place to stash stuff when they don't know where it's supposed to go.

computergeek2.gif

#34 of 41 Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
My whole house is my nemesis... seriously, there is no place that ISN'T a catch-all.

I think the advice is (generally) to have a touch-once rule - once you touch it, you put it where it goes, no exceptions. Nothing gets put down somewhere with the idea that you'll put it "where it goes" later.

Which is all well and good, but not working out for me. There are a surprising number of times that something is either set down rapidly on the nearest available surface in a hurry to rescue a toddler off a counter. And then it's just left there....

Honestly, I don't even think I'm to the point that rules like this CAN be applied consistently. I'm not sure everything has a home, for one thing. I'll get there (and my kids will stop being one and two at some point! )
OH man. I am so there with you.

I know that it will get easier the older they get. I don't even expect to have a CLEAN house anymore. I just want it functional! It is really starting to get to the point that it really kind of seems like maybe it is bigger than just the mess. I start to think that I must have something wrong with me to have such a hard time keeping up with "regular household chores". It really sucks when there is no one there to remind you that you are only one person and you can't expect that you would be able to undo the mess that the other 4 in the house spend all day making in just a few hours and then have time to do other things and expect that things will be where you left them when you come back. It seems like the more i try to conquer the clutter and mess, the less and less rational of a person I feel like.
#35 of 41 Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 PM

Pure exhaustion by the time I get home from work. I'm a morning person. Ask me to do anything after lunchtime and you are likely to get a blank stare.

--The entryway. People just drop their bags and coats and shoes right by the door. I'd like to get some nice hooks/cubbies/baskets or something.
#36 of 41 Old 02-05-2009, 06:04 PM

Nemesis #1 Fatigue
Nemesis #2 Apathy (well, I don't want to be apathetic, but sometimes it gets hard to battle when I clean up the same messes over and over again)

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#37 of 41 Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 PM

I have 2, well maybe 3.

The bench when you first walk in the door, it's there and it gets dumped on. backpacks,coats,gloves,stuff like that. I even have a basket system that contains each kids stuff. Shoes go in the bench,jackets on the coat rack,hats,gloves,whatever in your colored basket.....It's not working!!!!

Next is my pantry....GRRRRR! I hate it. it is very deep(40") and things get lost.
we have ordered new pantry cabinets and this should solve my issues. I hope.

Finally is my bathroom closet. that does not contain anything that belongs in the bathroom.I have the stuff that does not fit into my kitchen. Bread machines,food processor,griddle,platters and such. as well as my holiday things that dh likes to decorate with. I hope that the new kitchen layout will free up the existing pantry and become my new storage for the kitchen stuff and I can store towels and such in the bathroom.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#38 of 41 Old 02-06-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
My whole house is my nemesis... seriously, there is no place that ISN'T a catch-all.
That's what I was thinking.

The worst, in order:

1) The desk beside my keyboard. I pay the bills online, then leave them sitting there. The filing cabinet is full, and I can't bring myself to clear it out often enough. The pile is about 6" tall.

2) The "sideboard". This is a huge unit that my ex brought home. I keep planning to get rid of it, but it does come in handy. Currently on top of it...the CD rack, the hedgehog's cage, ds1's juggling equipment, some of dh's bicycle tools and bunch of dd's workbooks and colouring books. Most of that is supposed to be there...but the almost foot high stack of miscellaneous loose papers aren't. We're overdue to clear it off.

3) The fridge. I keep vitamins, a few medicines, a pack of Q-tips, my sewing kit, my tea tree oil, some xylitol mints and gum, etc. up there. It's always chaotic and things are always falling off.

4) The freezer. I'm doing my best with this, but...ugh. It's a flat, open surface, just inside the front door (I'm in a townhouse with a slightly odd layout). I drop my purse there. DS1 drops his hoodie and his shirt (he takes it off a lot) and sometimes his messenger bag there. It just collects crud. The pile isn't that bad - but we need to be able to open the freaking thing!!

5) The end of the kitchen counter...open recipe books, unopened mail, my current book, the newspaper, etc...

*sigh*
Okay - now I'm just depressed.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#39 of 41 Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahwpen View Post
OH man. I am so there with you.

I know that it will get easier the older they get. I don't even expect to have a CLEAN house anymore. I just want it functional!
And....:

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#40 of 41 Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 AM

The top of my dresser in the bedroom...it's a clutter magnet :

My desk :

The pantry...everything 'food-ish' gets tossed in there. Once it's organized it's a disaster in a few days. :

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#41 of 41 Old 02-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post
My DH & my DS..... they leave a trail behind them .. and dont put anything away .. but its my fault if they can't find it:

DH has a bad habit of coming in and dumping whatever is in his hands onto the kitchen counter . and just leaves it there
OMG we have the same DH and kid(s)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page