February room challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
sidetracking again... but did get a bunch accomplished today. Laundry room was a total disaster, since we moved in have been just putting things in there... cleaned it out bigtime. there are still boxes to move out, and I need to go through all of our blankets and get rid of some but it's a big big big big improvement.

check out the first set in my picture link in siggy... album titled 02-10-2009 a clean house, should be the first one
Laundry room looks great! Your house is so bright and sunny, and I love your dinning room ...I could hang out there all day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
You did a fantastic job! It looks really nice.

I love your dust work too.. ours is the flex pipe and it's run all wonky all over the place

I like that you labled things withinn your photos, I really like that in flickr. it's fun to read what is in certain containers
Thanks. It really took me a year to get to this point. I spent all summer going through boxes and boxes of stuff and paring it down to the things we really wanted or needed. The work I did this month was just the last push to get it all organized and in place.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 PM

I forgot post a pic of the master bedroom closet - I painted the doors last weekend. The painted doors really makes the room brighter and feel bigger. I'm contemplating adding a art deco floral/leaf image to the doors...but that will have to wait for now.

Here is the door, before: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/

After: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/
Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I forgot post a pic of the master bedroom closet - I painted the doors last weekend. The painted doors really makes the room brighter and feel bigger. I'm contemplating adding a art deco floral/leaf image to the doors...but that will have to wait for now.

Here is the door, before: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/

After: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/

Very nice!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM

ooops. double post...

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM

wow.. there is some amazing progress happening!!

slsurface: generally i love the look of wood, but i agree. the white doors really make the space serene and
feel larger. nice work!~i cant get the bold to go away..sorry!) im itching to get painting here, but its still -11 and so on, so i need to wait till i can open windows

lightheart:
my laundry room is next up. today hopefully. i have before photos

im including a few photos of my kitchen because ive been working really hard in there. my newly cleaned out cupboards and my new kitchen sideboard which i looooove. im itching to get the cupboards sanded and painted. white i think..or mayb a avacado green. i hate the look of them now. they feel dirty and are, but the stain scrapes off if i scrub too hard. yuck. i like the idea of a very clean kitchen, which is hard unless its washable i havn't asked my LL yet, but im sure she will give me permission.

here are the photos..room challenge photos

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 02-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
slsurface: generally i love the look of wood, but i agree. the white doors really make the space serene and[/B] feel larger. nice work!~i cant get the bold to go away..sorry!) im itching to get painting here, but its still -11 and so on, so i need to wait till i can open windows
Yeah, I like wood too, but these were cheap doors and the previous owners stained and finished them without sanding first :, so they didn't look good. I'm much happier with the paint! I'm glad that the weather is momentarily unseasonably warm, otherwise it would have waited till spring too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
im including a few photos of my kitchen because ive been working really hard in there. my newly cleaned out cupboards and my new kitchen sideboard which i looooove. im itching to get the cupboards sanded and painted. white i think..or mayb a avacado green. i hate the look of them now. they feel dirty and are, but the stain scrapes off if i scrub too hard. yuck. i like the idea of a very clean kitchen, which is hard unless its washable i havn't asked my LL yet, but im sure she will give me permission.

here are the photos..room challenge photos
Wow, looks awesome! Can you come organize my cupboards? Also, your sideboard is lovely and the view out your kitchen window is gorgeous!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Yeah, I like wood too, but these were cheap doors and the previous owners stained and finished them without sanding first :, so they didn't look good. I'm much happier with the paint! I'm glad that the weather is momentarily unseasonably warm, otherwise it would have waited till spring too.

Wow, looks awesome! Can you come organize my cupboards? Also, your sideboard is lovely and the view out your kitchen window is gorgeous!
ooooOh send some of that warmth this way! its snowing again... but really..its not so bad. spring is just around the next few corners.

and thanks im really liking my kitchen these days, for the most part. im one of those think about something till it gets done people, so the painting of the cupboards is always on my mind, but there isnt much i can do about it now but plan and be excited that someday ill get to do it. plus i looove painting. its a weird fettish of mine this is the first rental home ive lived in that i havnt immediately painted everything. my LL was so kind as to do it all for me in sage greens and whites. but the downstairs bedrooms need paint, they are just an off white and not recently done, and the cupboards. everything else is okay.

Quote:

Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 AM

fern, your house is gorgeous as usual. You could make an apartment in the slums look awesome.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:08 PM

I have gotten a little sidetracked also. We were in Target and we found a butcher block kitchen island marked down from $299.99 to $74.99! I wouldn't even walk away from it thinking that if I did someone else would have snapped it up in a second! Its really heavy and made really well! I will post pictures of my finshed kitchen in a bit!
Old 02-15-2009, 04:15 AM

Well... I finally got around to working on the sewing room explosion in our living room.

I worked for HOURS today! I started by sorting specific (large) projects away from the rest of the mess, then went through a large bag of smaller sized projects. I gave away more than half the smaller projects! Then, I starting tackling all the fabric! I have 3-1/2 kitchen trash bags (13-gallon size) full of fabric to give to the quilting/sewing classes at our local college so far. I have more fabric to go through still. After the fabric is taken care of, I plan to go through all the "notions". I did some of that tonight just for a change of pace. I don't anticipate much of those going away, but tidying them up will be refreshing.

Half of the month is over and I am nowhere near halfway done with the room I chose. I need to step up my efforts...

How is everyone else doing?

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 02-16-2009, 04:01 AM

I have worked hard all weekend on this project! The painting supplies that belong in the shed are neatly put away in the shed now. Fabric is strewn all over the living room still along with the notions and other sewing supplies (less of it though). I washed all the fabric for my upcoming projects with our laundry today. (I have a sewing day scheduled with a friend mid-week.) I decluttered the top white cabinet (3 shelves behind a door) in the extra room and we finished emptying out the room. Well, all the stuff on the table and floor that do not belong in there. The shelving unit is still a mess, as is the large cabinet. Our donation pile is impressive! I washed down the table and chairs and vacuumed the walls, doors, baseboards, and floor. I set up my sewing table!!!

Here's my Flickr set again:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3332963...7613462972105/

If you have already seen the set, skip to the last picture to see the most recent view of the extra room.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I spent the weekend doing some sorting out in our loft. It's been a couple of years since we last organised anything much up there, we just keep adding more bags and boxes.

There is still a long way to go but I have made some progress.

I have gathered all the camping equipment into one spot.
I've gathered all the outgrown clothes into 1 box but I still need to sort out which are to be saved for DS and which need to be rehomed.

I freecycled
A tent - this was a biggie as it was my first tent and I was quite attached to it.
1 pair of curtains
2 lap trays
1 large wooden storage box
1 set of bathroom stuff (soap dispenser, toothbrush holder etc)
2 kids folding chairs
1 vegetable rack

I filled our recycling bin full with cardboard and sorted out 1 large bag of rags too.

I am in awe of all those of you doing painting projects. We have lots that need doing. I'm hoping once DS starts preschool
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 AM

I can't wait to see the butcherblock SkylarJulesmom, that was a really good deal!

sunnysandiegan, can I come sew on one of your machines? It looks really inviting! (since my area is still a complete disater!)

LaughingHyena, I'm so happy for you that you were able to let go of your 1st tent, clearing things that you don't use/need opens up our lives for so many other adventures!

This weekend hubby decided to seal the concrete... a declutter turns into a remodel!! Sometimes I do want to pull my hair out, but long term it is going to be the best thing. Hopefully today I will get the last coat of paint on the walls and be able to roll out the carpet so I can start bringing things back into the room!!! I will feel like I am getting someplace once that happens, lets hope that happens today or at least this week!

(my little guy starts preschool this Wednesday, it's half day wed, thurs and fri. I'm sad but a little excited that I will have time to get projects finished quicker)
Old 02-16-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
sunnysandiegan, can I come sew on one of your machines? It looks really inviting! (since my area is still a complete disater!)

LaughingHyena, I'm so happy for you that you were able to let go of your 1st tent, clearing things that you don't use/need opens up our lives for so many other adventures!

This weekend hubby decided to seal the concrete... a declutter turns into a remodel!!
Come on over, lightheart! Be sure to bring your hipwaders in order to get through the living room, though...

I completely agree, LaughingHyena, with lightheart!

I have never had decluttering *just* be a declutter project!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:54 PM

last coat of primer paint on the walls, as soon as my hot chocolate water boils I'm heading outside with the little guy to play in the dirt until the paint dries and I can put up the finish coat, pretty sure it will take only one.

sunnysandiegan... I'll bring you all my UFO's too and leave them there for you to finish, maybe I could hide them under a couch cushion or something and you wouldn't notice
Old 02-16-2009, 06:57 PM

We don't have a garage or basement. I guess I'll just work on organizing all the problem areas in our home.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Looks like I'm hogging the thread this afternoon

I got my walls painted!!!! so very excited:::

Now to let them really dry and either tonight after the boys go to bed or tommorrow I will get down there and roll out the carpet!

Can see my painting picts in my siggy link for room challenge. Plain old white, better to keep my fabric colors true and it really lightens up the room.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Looks like I'm hogging the thread this afternoon

I got my walls painted!!!! so very excited:::

Now to let them really dry and either tonight after the boys go to bed or tommorrow I will get down there and roll out the carpet!

Can see my painting picts in my siggy link for room challenge. Plain old white, better to keep my fabric colors true and it really lightens up the room.
Wow! What a job you had! The white paint is PERFECT for your space. I am excited to see the carpet unrolled and in place now.

I made a bigger mess in my sewing room. I emptied out the big cabinet onto the floor. I found such an interesting array of craft supplies! Dried beans from seven years ago and hand-dyed pasta from six years ago top the list... um, yeah, those hit the trash. I have to go through the rest and wipe down the inside of the cabinet and figure out what I want in it now. I think I want all my sewing supplies in this cabinet first. I guess I better go see if that'll work...

Old 02-17-2009, 01:07 AM

Last post for today I have rolled out the carpet!! If only it was red. Got a few things moved back in there, my fabric dresser, a table that I'm planning on using as a workbench, 2 little boxes and a bookshelf. I will need to wait til the weekend when hubby can help me fix the carpet around the edges and hang the cabinets I want to put on the wall - but there will be plenty that I can do without that done. I've been working down there 47 days since this was originally my Jan area to do... hopefully I won't be still talking about this room come September when you guys have went through your entire houses!

Check out my siggy link, I'm uploading pictures now!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 AM

lightheart,

WOW!You're doing great!It doesn't even seem like the same space.And I see you have a very handsome "helper".

sunnysandiegan,

ahhh...yes...interesting craft supplies.I found a few of those this week end too.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 PM

I know I am coming in late but I really need to do this!

My specific goals-

-Finish the garage- not that bad, but i have one area that is all my mess, plus some bagged stuff that I need to go through

-Foyer closet- everything from coats, scrapbooking stuff, gift wrap, yarn and assorted crap has gone in here for years. Must clean it out

-Fiber Storage- I use ds's closet since he can't be trusted with a closet. Apparently, though, I am not that closet trustworthy either, and I need to keep it from overgrowing and spilling into his room. Will go through the top shelves and see if any big brother clothes will fit little brother yet, wash and bring them down at the same time.

-Desk/cabinet/bills- I should do this at the same time I do the foyer as I would like to go through all my paperwork and get it organized.

Can I do it in a week and a half? (Sing it with me! Yes We Can!. Hm. Going for more Bob the Builder than Obama, but either way...)

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 PM

I got a few more things moved into my room yesterday...

Bella Babe, it's amazing the amount of work you can get done if you set your mind to it, so are you going to pretend your Muck or Scoop?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Well, be careful what you wish for, as the saying goes...

I asked DH to hop online Monday night (after 8 pm) and find the soonest pick-up date available from any charity of his choosing. His first choice didn't have online pick-up scheduling, so he went to his second choice and got a pick-up for Wednesday morning at 8 am! Um, yes, that was this morning!!! Guess what I did most of yesterday???

You can see pictures and read a bit about my progress here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3332963...7613462972105/

No, it is not done yet. In fact, the sewing room itself looks worse right now!!! The guts of the cabinet shown in the "East Wall" shots are all over the floor along with the remaining pieces of fabric I have to find a home for. February isn't over yet and it is nice to work with extra space after the pick-up this morning!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:01 AM

Now I'm hogging the thread!

We played musical furniture. So, now I am working on two rooms simultaneously. The family office was going to be my March room anyway, so I am getting a head start.

I moved the white cabinets from one side of the sewing room to the other side. Then, I emptied the big cabinet and moved it (with DH) to the family office. I went to Ikea and purchased an inexpensive open shelving unit for the family office. DH put it together and adapted it to fit our needs (sawing and drilling were required). I emptied a white rolling unit from the family office and brought it downstairs to the sewing room. Then, we moved some pieces in the family office into slightly different positions. Catch all that???

Meanwhile, the sewing room is really getting a deep decluttering. I am in the midst of going through each item in the white cabinets and I emptied all the shelves of the blue unit. Somehow this all spilled over into the kitchen and I emptied and cleaned the two random drawers in there. One is practically empty now. The other is much more organized and CLEAN. Oh, now I remember...I decided all the items we use outside, but prefer to store inside could go into a specific spot in the sewing room (bubbles, gardening gloves, flower press, etc) and had to go hunt them all down since they were spread out downstairs.

One week to go... who's going to finish the room they are working on???

Old 02-22-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Total unadulterated mama bragging going on here Little mister went to his first day of preschool today. I posted pictures so if anyone wants to look here
He looks so sweet!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

One week to go... who's going to finish the room they are working on???
Well,I found the floor!

The work room.

Still working on it.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Things are coming along and falling into place. I really doubt I will get every box and bin I have gone through and organized but I feel like I have gotten a bunch accomplished so far. I'm pleased with myself and my hubby and boys for helping me and being good while mommy has 'cleaned'.

Still have 6 days to go, I do have a list in my head with crunch stuff that I want to get accomplised, I think its doable for that part at least.

New pictures in my siggy link.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Lightheart and sunnysandiegan,

You too have been busy!Thanks for the motivation!

And totally off topic :

lightheart,

since you seem to know about old sewing machines...While I was cleaning out the work room I found 2 accessory kits to old sewing machines.One might go to the machine that was left in the house(I will check).Do you think these would be valuable to anyone?And if so do you have any idea where I might offer them up?I don't want to just throw them away if someone could use them.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:34 PM

rere, sewing machine parts and pieces are valuable to many... depends on what you mean by value though.. if you mean $.. depends totally on what a person is willing to pay and what a person is willing to sell stuff for. If you mean valuable as in "not trash" .. to me, and many people anything sewing machine related is not trash, even the most rusted locked up, boat anchor of a machine.. it's a mission to save every machine and bit of machine from the scrap pile! ... something boardering on obbsession

If you need help id'ing the parts pm me or post over in the sewing section here on MDC and nudge me to the post and I'll try to figure out what machine they would go to...

BEWARE my solution with what you should do with the accessories will be that you need to find the machine to go with them instead of finding someone with that machine! I am an enabler when it comes to sewing machines... totally goes against the grain of decluttering... but imagine all the fun things you could make with a sewing machine!

User Tag List