February room challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 02-03-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So... what do we want to do? A whatever you want again? A specific room?

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 107 Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM

My vote is the for basement (if you have one) or attic or garage...wherever you do your "deep" storage.

DH and I have to finish getting our basement in shape so that we have a place to do some woodworking once the weather breaks. We've gotta a heap of home remodeling projects to do this summer! I've been working on my basement ever since we moved in - a little over a year ago. It's close to where I want it, but I need to break down and buy some better storage boxes and either build or buy some more shelving. I also need to figure out an ingenious solution for storing all the bulky baby gear that we don't want to get rid of just yet (as we're hoping for #2 in the next year or so).

Anyone have another room idea?
#3 of 107 Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 107 Old 02-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Deep storage sounds awesome! My basement needs some love and it is so easy to overlook it!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#5 of 107 Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 PM

YES! I need to work on my garage!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#6 of 107 Old 02-03-2009, 07:06 PM

At first I was thinking : I'd be freezing in there but you know what? I may just do the garage after all. It's really cluttered because all winter we drag everything we don't want down into it. My plan is to move by summer and the last thing I want is to have to empty it while we are moving. So I'm in, we also have a nice week off in Fab so I'll take advantage of that too! I'll post pics in a bit.
#7 of 107 Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Our garage is HORRIBLE and DH is on leave this month so I wouldn't mind getting it done since he is here to help (and it is all his mess).

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#8 of 107 Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 PM

subbing
#9 of 107 Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 PM

well, our garage is sitting in about 6 inches of snow in below freezing temps....unheated, detached garage. so i think we'll sit this one out as we won't get out there and try and work until late spring/summer.

it's just too : right now.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#10 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 01:01 AM

considering 'deep/big storage' is my sewing room, and that was Jan. challenge for me... considering I didn't get finished, I'm up to giving it another month!
#11 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 03:38 AM

I went though my storage area last month. But there's still a lot of stuff I have yet to completely go through.

good idea to do storage
#12 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 AM

storage spaces sound great to me..i have very little, but it needs work none the less. im including closets in my storage too, since its our everyday storage..and ill be able to post pictures this time!! my new computer arrived today:

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#13 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 01:04 PM

Oooo...yes.The attic is what I need to do.I've been dragging everything up there.Plus my sister is pregnant and I need to go through all the baby stuff to see what she might want.

Although,my husband isn't really going to be around very much this month so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get done.Well,I'm going to try anyway.

#14 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
storage spaces sound great to me..i have very little, but it needs work none the less. im including closets in my storage too, since its our everyday storage..and ill be able to post pictures this time!! my new computer arrived today:
Congrats on the new computer!!!!

That gave me an idea, If it's too cold for you to work on your storage area or your storage is all ready in order, what about your computer? Do you have files that need to be gone through, organized, deleted? maybe your cell phone if you have a fancy one? your address book? or maybe an email account? I know it doesn't give actual usable walking, living space, but eliminates clutter none the less.
#15 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 PM

Yes the garage and storage closet would be great! We just moved to a smaller apartment, but it has a garage for the first time and all of our junk has ended up there!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#16 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post

That gave me an idea, If it's too cold for you to work on your storage area or your storage is all ready in order, what about your computer? Do you have files that need to be gone through, organized, deleted? maybe your cell phone if you have a fancy one? your address book? or maybe an email account? I know it doesn't give actual usable walking, living space, but eliminates clutter none the less.
Great idea! That's something I often need to do, but never get around to it.
#17 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 03:11 PM

Ok, so here are my specific goals:

In the basement
1) Organize these (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/) shelves and get better containers to do it.

2) Organize these shelves (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/) - remove all items that are not related to camping/kayaking/stunt kites. I want these shelves to be used only for out door hobby stuff.

3) Organize all the small tools and home improvement supplies into some plastic drawers that I already have (I cleaned out the stuff in the drawers last month).

4) Move stored furniture out of the way to rearrange large storage bins along west wall of the basement together.

In Office:
Deal with the office closet http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/). I've been dumping boxes from the basement in there. I really need to go through the boxes, figure out what I want to keep and then sell or donate the rest. I am not sure whether I will get to this closet in February...it's might be my project for next month.
#18 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post

thanks! im happy!!still trying to figure it all out. but yeah!
and i think that is great idea! i wantt o make sure i keep this baby clean and organised. and everything backed up and all of that. ive learned my lesson!!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#19 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 03:35 PM

my garage needs to be cleaned, too.

But most likely DH will do it all. He seems to enjoy it for some reason.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#20 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
my garage needs to be cleaned, too.

But most likely DH will do it all. He seems to enjoy it for some reason.

mine too! he doesn't even let me touch his tools, etc. so i'll work on our "storage areas" as well this month. not sure about the basement as that's his domain as well (other than my laundry area), but i can work on my linen closet, cleaning closet, and our front foyer closet. and THAT should certainly keep me busy! lol!

#21 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 PM

Our garage definitely needs help... we still have boxes and some furniture out there from our move.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#22 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM

I'm in. I think that I am going to hit any storage area though and not just the deep storage.

DH & I will organize ....

1) the shed
2) the carport
3) closets
  • linen
    tool/vacuum
    toy
    craft
    master
    living room
    pantry
    laundry room

4) attic

Here we go, might as well get started.
#23 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Ok, so here are my specific goals:

In the basement
1) Organize these (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/) shelves and get better containers to do it.

2) Organize these shelves (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/) - remove all items that are not related to camping/kayaking/stunt kites. I want these shelves to be used only for out door hobby stuff.

3) Organize all the small tools and home improvement supplies into some plastic drawers that I already have (I cleaned out the stuff in the drawers last month).

4) Move stored furniture out of the way to rearrange large storage bins along west wall of the basement together.

In Office:
Deal with the office closet http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/). I've been dumping boxes from the basement in there. I really need to go through the boxes, figure out what I want to keep and then sell or donate the rest. I am not sure whether I will get to this closet in February...it's might be my project for next month.
------

You have a walk in closet with a window in your Office ..... Oh I am so so jelous....
#24 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post
------

You have a walk in closet with a window in your Office ..... Oh I am so so jelous....
Before you get too excited, I should tell you that it's our only semi-large closet (we have 3 closets in our house and two are ity-bity). There are many problems with this closet: 1) no lights, 2) too narrow (only 3 feet wide - the picture makes it look huge), and 3) the ceiling slopes, so you can't hang a rod for clothes. It's pretty useless, but I've gotta make due with what I've got.
#25 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Before you get too excited, I should tell you that it's our only semi-large closet (we have 3 closets in our house and two are ity-bity). There are many problems with this closet: 1) no lights, 2) too narrow (only 3 feet wide - the picture makes it look huge), and 3) the ceiling slopes, so you can't hang a rod for clothes. It's pretty useless, but I've gotta make due with what I've got.

my dream home (which is purely in my head) .. has a walk in office closet
#26 of 107 Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 PM

I'm working on the storage closets in our house, as we have no basement/attic/garage.

So far I've gone through the bathroom storage (blogged here) and I'm working on the linen closet, hall/craft closet, and closed living room shelving this week as well.

It's like reverse nesting around here - I'm feeling the need to declutter with a 5 month old baby. Why couldn't I have done this while pregnant so I didn't have to do it while wearing her?
#27 of 107 Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 AM

I'm in for the garage. It's freezing but I'll just bundle up and do it! DH does his woodworking in there, so there is sawdust everywhere...it's on every surface. How do I even start to clean that?

I sweep weekly so we don't track stuff into the house, but it hasn't been touched since late October otherwise.

I'll get started tomorrow!

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
#28 of 107 Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom17 View Post
I'm in for the garage. It's freezing but I'll just bundle up and do it! DH does his woodworking in there, so there is sawdust everywhere...it's on every surface. How do I even start to clean that?

I sweep weekly so we don't track stuff into the house, but it hasn't been touched since late October otherwise.

I'll get started tomorrow!

the shop-vac is your friend! my dh also has a woodshop in our garage (and one in the basement) so i don't even dare touch it. lol! i figure me trying to "organize" his workspace is like him rearranging my kitchen for me! i'd kill him! lol! but seriously, our shop-vac will pick up every bit of sawdust.

#29 of 107 Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 PM

Ahh, the shop vac...love it when it's working, curse it when it explodes all over the place! It seriously shoots stuff out all over the place. Time for a new one, maybe I'll head out to Home Depot this morning.

Your DH's woodworking shop in the basement - how do you prevent sawdust from getting into the vents? We would love to have a little spot in the basement for woodworking, but I told DH he'd have to put tarps up everywhere and some kind of ventiliation system.

He would love a shop like Norm Abram - but who wouldn't!

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
#30 of 107 Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Ahh, the shop vac...love it when it's working, curse it when it explodes all over the place! It seriously shoots stuff out all over the place. Time for a new one, maybe I'll head out to Home Depot this morning.
Ours has the same problem when the filter comes out of place on the inside...What a nightmare!

Quote:
He would love a shop like Norm Abram - but who wouldn't!
No kidding!

User Tag List