Simplifying by moving to a BIGGER house??? UPDATE #24, 32 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Yeah, we probably will be replacing just about everything but the bones of the house, little by little. I'm very fond of the house itself, though. It was built in the 1830s! How cool would it be to have a lovely, restored 19th century farmhouse???? It'll take us years, but we LOVE home improvement projects.

Here's a bit of the work we did on the kitchen in the place we're in now:
Before
Before
Taking off the wallpaper
Removing 8 layers of linoleum

After:
http://picasaweb.google.com/smola04/...71286873522290
http://picasaweb.google.com/smola04/...71720665219298
http://picasaweb.google.com/smola04/...72648378155458
http://picasaweb.google.com/smola04/...74181681480498
Are those IKEA cabinets I see?

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#32 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
Are those IKEA cabinets I see?

I wish! They're actually from Lowes. We don't have an IKEA closer than Philly.
He signed the contracts!!! :

We have our inspection coming up soon, and I'll be dropping off a check tomorrow morning. We may own a house with LAND!! :

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#33 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 12:59 AM

Congrats! I hope it all goes as planned.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#34 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 03:25 AM

This is why I want to move. We have decluttered as much as I want to declutter and there is just not enough room here.

Lordy, what I'd do for an actual laundry room!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#35 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 AM

Looks really nice (well nice potential!!). Enjoy your new home

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#36 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post

I wish! They're actually from Lowes. We don't have an IKEA closer than Philly.
He signed the contracts!!! :

We have our inspection coming up soon, and I'll be dropping off a check tomorrow morning. We may own a house with LAND!! :

yay,congrats

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#37 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
We just moved from a 1100 sq ft 3 bedroom to one that is (I think) about 2400 sq ft. I have boxes of things to get rid of despite the giant leap in amount of living space. You know what helped? Living for months with a huge amount of our stuff in storage. We realized how much crap we had that we do not need. I feel cluttered and overwhelmed with it all in our house again, and I can't wait to purge it. So my answer is absolutely, you can simplify by moving to a bigger house. I do not feel any need or desire to fill up the extra space with more stuff. I feel the opposite way. I want my space to be space!

We stored a lot of stuff during a move between houses. We moved to a smaller place though. When we unpacked we ended up giving away a bunch of stuff.

I think that in todays world we can collect things so quickly. You go out in the morning not expecting to get anything and can come home with tons of stuff if your not careful. I end up giving at least one bag full of things to the goodwill a month. Much, much more at spring cleaning and before and after Christmas as well.

We live in a small place with two kids and a big dog. Our layout is ideal and we are very good at organizing things.

Ultimately you have to do what's best for your family. Heck if I could knock down my neighbours house and steal his yard I would. I would love some more land but am very happy with my location and my house right now.
#38 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 AM

We are four people in right around 1000 sf and while we love where we're living -- in a co-housing community, it is just plain too tight. We paid 144k for this place. We live on an upper floor and have no yard of our own.

We are going to be buying a place almost double this size with a YARD. In our area we can get a place for about 120,000 with 4 bedrooms, finished basement and a smallish yard.

I think some people can be really happy with a smaller place, but after living here, we kind of realized that we aren't. DH is ADD and needs space of his own with no distractions to do his writing and studying and the kids are just right on top of each other here -- always in each other's stuff.
#39 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
This is why I want to move. We have decluttered as much as I want to declutter and there is just not enough room here.

Lordy, what I'd do for an actual laundry room!
I know! We reached a point where we were making decisions like "hmm... if I get rid of this COUCH that we use all the time, I can fit our PIANO that DH and I use to make our living........" It's like we can do ONE thing in each room, because we're talking about one 13x16 room. It can only have one function, and we only have 5 to begin with. And there's lots of wasted hall space in the house we're in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelEve14 View Post
Looks really nice (well nice potential!!). Enjoy your new home

I know, it's pretty atrocious. We have our inspection coming up, and as long as it's ok (we know it'll be pretty bad), we're golden. I just have to keep reminding myself that the house has pretty much not been touched since the '70s. But it's been standing since 1831, so we're excited to give it a chance to be beautiful again. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
I think some people can be really happy with a smaller place, but after living here, we kind of realized that we aren't. DH is ADD and needs space of his own with no distractions to do his writing and studying and the kids are just right on top of each other here -- always in each other's stuff.
I have ADD as well, and it's the clutter that bothers me. Here, on every day off, I spend the day shuffling stuff from one room to another, trying to find a place for everything. It's maddening, actually. I totally sympathize with your DH.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#40 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 11:47 AM

OK, you did get a home inspection, right?

I'm only asking because a friend of mine purchased a fixer upper...didn't have an inspection and wound up having some rather catastropic problems to deal with. And....MOLD. She wound up with a sick house taboot.

Getting an inspection will let you know what you're dealing with. That looks like a very poorly maintained home, you need to know what you're dealing with before purchasing.

Sometimes too you have to know if it's worth it, my brother had purchased a house, then put a lot of $$$ into it. After all was said and done it would have been cheaper for him to buy a house already fixed up. But, on the flip side, he didn't have that money back then! It was more of a 'pay as you go' sort of situation. LOL

But, you're right, with that land sure there could be a lot of potential! And, if you get it for a good price you can afford to spend the $$$ to fix it up!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#41 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

phatchristy,

OMG, yes. The contract is pending inspection. I will never and have never purchased a home without one. We have lots of ways out in the contract, and one of them is making sure the inspection doesn't turn up anything major. Any repairs over $1k turning up in the inspection = we can get out of the contract scot-free (not that we would, but we could). We're expecting it to be bad, but we're hoping that there's nothing major, like a new septic or a collapsed well or anything like that, you know? We'll find out soon enough.

The house being in poor condition is why we had the seller agree to buying us a home warranty. That way, if things DO break any time within a year after we move in, it's HIS responsiblity.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page