How do you store baking sheets, platters etc... ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-19-2009, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know all those enormous items that take up an entire shelf if you lay them flat...

I looked into converting our plinth space but it's not a workable option in this particular kitchen.

I'd love to get some kind of storage system that allows them to stand on their sides -- like a dish rack, only bigger IYWKIM?

Any suggestions?
#2 of 12 Old 02-19-2009, 06:24 AM

I keep baking pans and cookie sheets in the drawer/broiler of the oven. I learned here to keep the big cutting boards on top of the fridge, which has become a real space saver.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#3 of 12 Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 AM

How about a metal file folder holder like this one? It could sit on the counter for heavily used items like cutting boards or you could put in in a taller, bottom cabinet for your lesser used items.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#4 of 12 Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 PM

The container store has a few things made for holding sheets and boards upright, as well as pot and pan lids. Here are some examples:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...5&PRODID=60282
http://www.containerstore.com/browse...5&PRODID=60281
http://www.containerstore.com/browse...6&PRODID=63199

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#5 of 12 Old 02-20-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

great suggestions! thank you!
#6 of 12 Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM

Minta - I just wanted to thank you for posting this question. I typically read the MDC while I eat breakfast and yesterday was no exception. I saw your topic and decided to photograph where/how I store these items. When taking the pictures, I noticed how FILTHY the top of our fridge is. So, I got out the Orange Clean and and a rag and went to town cleaning it. Then, I noticed how dirty the corners of our cabinet doors are (no knobs), I sprayed the Orange Clean on a whim. I have tried vinegar/water many times and it never worked on these two areas. Anyway, a couple hours later, my entire kitchen was sparkling clean: dishes, counters, appliances, counters, floor, etc. I was so inspired, I went to Ikea to find a unit for our family office (and I ran errands along the way). DH was working from home yesterday and I emailed him pictures of the suitable candidates from Ikea and we decided which one and I purchased it. The rest of the day revolved around our DD. After dinner, we put together the unit and made a plan for rearranging things and altering the unit on Saturday. I was still inspired this morning. I walk DD to school each morning and when I got back home, I swept the front door and walkway. Then I went into the backyard and swept those doors and patio. Lastly, I swept off and moved a large spiral plant stand (taller than me) that was just sitting empty by our front door to the backyard and put my smaller plants on it. I am eating breakfast now at 9 am and am still inspired... Wonder what else I'll come up with today...

I just thought it might be nice for you to hear how your seemingly simple question impacted someone reading it. THANK YOU!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#7 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

good for you! unfortunately, i got as far as the baking sheet dilemma, then got fed up and sat and read a magazine instead! lol

i'm glad someone'shouse is tidier!
#8 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 PM

I side mine in the crack between the counter and fridge. At the last apt, it was between the counter and stove. But I only have one platter and 2 baking sheets. The rest of the big flat stuff goes in the drawer under the stove.
HTH

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#9 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 PM

I have a special tall narrow cabinet just for that purpose (I can't figure anything else that would even fit in it, besides a cutting board) so I'm not much help. I was totally thinking on top of the fridge, though.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 12 Old 02-22-2009, 03:58 AM

I got an extra shelf for my cabinet and store them there. So I have this...
-----------countertop-----------

@@@@@Pots & Pans@@@@@

--------------shelf----------------
.............cookiesheets...............
--------------shelf----------------

####small electrics#######

--------bottom of cabinet-------

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#11 of 12 Old 02-22-2009, 01:20 PM

I keep some in the bottom of my corner lazy-susan cabinet. Theres a bit of space under the shelf that turns out, and I don't think it could be used for anything else. We have a small house, and cant afford to waste an inch!

Mama of one with one on the way 12/10
#12 of 12 Old 02-22-2009, 01:43 PM

I put cookie sheets in the drawer of the oven, platters are in a bottom cabinet, but I'm not fond of their placement.

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page