Mothering Forum banner

s/o: How to stop compulsive shopping?/Compulsive shopping suport group

859 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cera 
#1 ·
The other compulsive shopping thread has me thinking and I am a compulsive shopper, always have been. But lately it's been much worse. I am truly addicted to thrift store shopping to the point where almost every second day in the past few weeks I've made up some reason to need to go thrift shopping. I feel like if I don't go I am missing out on a really good deal, though I am not sure what that deal is. It wasn't so bad at first b/c I didn't go so often and when I go I usually have an eye out for toys and such for my youngest but I only buy him wood toys and the like and those are few and far between where I live so it's not so bad. But books and baskets.......ooooh the growing stash I have on those. I have been trying so hard to declutter but it seems I am bringing in more than what leaves? And it's not just thrift stores either but it's my recent obsession. (Ahh and spring is coming and so are those garage sales!!) So to those who have a shopping problem, what do you do? How can I stop my bad habit? How do I convince myself to stay home? Or avoid driving to the thrift store while doing other errands? Let's start a support group!! I am thinking about going shopping already just writing this post.......

#2 ·
Man, tell me about it. I can drop $100 easy in Walmart/Target and not even remember what I got. Today I went to the bookstore to return a book and barely escaped with my debit card unscathed.

What worked for me was joining the No Spend challenge, but then I fell off the wagon and haven't gotten back on. I think part of my problem is it's so stinkin' cold there's really nothing to do to get us out of the house other than shop. I just need to start leaving my money in the car when I go places, I guess!

#4 ·
Nope not alone! I have been struggling with my spending for years. I can justify spending when it is high quality/super good deal. My downfall recently has been co-ops. The winter is also my bad shopping time as there is no where to go that doesn't involve buying something. I have been starting to declutter and I just really need to stop bringing anything in my home for a long time.

Wendi

#5 ·
Perfect timing! I'm in! I am trying to figure out how to stay away from Target

It's my escape. I make excuses to go there a few times a week. I usually will only spend $30-$100 a week there on "household and personal" items....but I need that to change. I am constantly scamming their clearance shelves on the end of the aisles looking for good deals. It's addicting

I want to learn to be frugal and be OK WITH IT....without HAVING to spend money to feel good

#6 ·
Here's what I'm thinking about doing. I've been wanting to turn my debit card over to DH but I'm scared if we ran out of gas or something during the day I'd be SOL (we only have one car.) Walmart sells prepaid Visa cards and I was thinking about getting one, loading it with $20, and just letting it sit in the glove box for emergencies only. Then DH can have my debit card and I don't have to worry about being compulsive. Like yesterday when I spent $65 at Target

I do want to implement a kind of "allowance system" where I get like, $10 a week or something because otherwise I think I might go crazy.

What do you guys think?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
Here's what I'm thinking about doing. I've been wanting to turn my debit card over to DH but I'm scared if we ran out of gas or something during the day I'd be SOL (we only have one car.) Walmart sells prepaid Visa cards and I was thinking about getting one, loading it with $20, and just letting it sit in the glove box for emergencies only. Then DH can have my debit card and I don't have to worry about being compulsive. Like yesterday when I spent $65 at Target

I do want to implement a kind of "allowance system" where I get like, $10 a week or something because otherwise I think I might go crazy.

What do you guys think?
My DH gives me our weekly household budgeted amount every Wednesday (today...woo hoo!). He gives me $200 for food and household/personal supplies. This also includes eating out, treats, etc.
I have no access to our bank account (which is a really really good thing!).

I still tend to go to Target first and THEN the grocery store....but I'm slowly learning.

#8 ·
Ok, this sounds kind of goofy, but try going to Target or the Mall or wherever with the intention of just walking around and not buying anything. Don't buy anything! Not even something you think you need. Leave your wallet in the car if necessary. Just look around and observe everything. Try this a few times.

I often do this at the mall or at Ikea--we go there for lunch, and then I look at stuff with absolutely no intention of buying anything. It's actually fun! I start thinking to myself, "this stuff is always here, I could buy it any time I want to, but I'm choosing not to."

#9 ·
I am sitting on the couch right now trying to convince myself that I do not need to go thrift store shopping for the billionth time this week. I have laundry to do (ooooh so much) and rooms to clean and so much deluttering to do but I just really wanna go shop. I just keep thinking a quick look couldn't hurt...........I don't think I'm gonna make it.

#10 ·
You can do it cera! I find it's easiest for me when I get up and do something... like, if I got off the couch right now (not happening, hahaha) and started cleaning then I would get sucked into the cleaning vortex and not have to even think about shopping today.

But maybe that's just because I'm a tiny bit OCD

I kept myself out of Walmart last night and that was a huge deal because I really wanted to go "look around." I think my hardest thing now though is buying stuff online. Especially iTunes!! That's going to be my major goal this month, to not buy anything online without discussing it with DH first. I always buy and then say "oh sorry I bought something!" NO MORE!!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
You can do it cera! I find it's easiest for me when I get up and do something... like, if I got off the couch right now (not happening, hahaha) and started cleaning then I would get sucked into the cleaning vortex and not have to even think about shopping today.

But maybe that's just because I'm a tiny bit OCD

I kept myself out of Walmart last night and that was a huge deal because I really wanted to go "look around." I think my hardest thing now though is buying stuff online. Especially iTunes!! That's going to be my major goal this month, to not buy anything online without discussing it with DH first. I always buy and then say "oh sorry I bought something!" NO MORE!!

Well things didn't go so well, lol. DH sent me to Walmart, which went ok, I only bought toilet paper on sale but I snuck off to two other stores (left empty handed yay!) and hit up two thrift stores but only bought a couple of things from one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.