March room challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2009, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to jump in here if no one minds. I realize that it's half way through March but I need to get this done. My challenge is the entire house!!!! I have almost 2 weeks off because of spring break but I'll be gone for half of it. We need to list our house for sale in April and I'm trying to get the house decluttered and ready for showing. We just bought this house in Sept and moved from a 2000+ sq ft home to a 1100 sq ft one so we did lots of decluttering during the move but have lots more to go.

I definatly need to tackle my home school/office shelving unit that's in our kitchen. So, for me I need to get the house presentable and then I can tackle the deep down decluttering afterwards.

Wish me luck!!! I'm going to need it as we are getting a bunch of new snow tonight and I would much rather head to the hill for some skiing with the kids than declutter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 PM

not sure what happened there but it double posted.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Sharri! Best wishes on your project!

Well, our progress came to a screeching halt Saturday late morning when a friend brought us a new family member... a rescue kitten. We have spent the whole weekend getting to know her and letting her get to know us. We are definitely smitten with the kitten...

Anyway, we knew she was coming since mid-day Thursday, so we worked extra hard in between other activities and me having a cold and feeling blah. I still have three areas to get cleaned up: desk top, floor right near my desk, and scrapbook projects in our master bedroom. Except for my desk, the others are neat and orderly. I just haven't decided where they are going to go yet. I've been picking away at the top of my desk little by little for two weeks. I'm left with the stuff I don't know where to put.

I've got a few more days until the birthday party to get the visual stuff taken care of and get the rest of the party stuff ready. Having a tiny kitten in the house along with our child is a bit like having a new baby! The kitty cries if she is left alone and it is pitiful. DH was out buying her a scratching post and our weekly food while DD & I were pulling weeds in the backyard... The kitten was crying so pitifully I came inside to tend to her and sat where I could watch her and my daughter and give verbal praise and encouragement to both.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 03-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Sunnysandiegan, ever heard of kitten-wearing? I used to carry one of my kittens around in a doll sling because she hated to be left alone, too. Kittens need closeness, too!

Anyways, we have gotten absolutely NOWHERE on the office. DH's noble plans and ideals fell prey to the trash, laundry, cords, and health hazards breeding in the office, and I want to know how bad it has to be before he DOES something! He spends 50% or more of his time home in that office, and it shows.

We've already had words about it, but we have company coming Monday of next week and I WILL NOT let them see that disaster. I would die of shame.

So....now I just need to find the time and the money to buy furniture. Freecycle has been empty for me lately.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultivatingMyRoots View Post
Sunnysandiegan, ever heard of kitten-wearing? I used to carry one of my kittens around in a doll sling because she hated to be left alone, too. Kittens need closeness, too!
I wore the baby, I can wear the kitten! I have gotten nothing done today except letting the kitten sleep on my neck and chest several times and redirecting her multiple times every minute she is awake. Do they make "chew" toys for kittens? What safe substances can I give her? She loves her scratching post and I've been actively encouraging that! The gnawing is a bit more challenging. We have several cardboard boxes out for her and she likes them, but I think she needs/wants an additional substance???

I am hoping to work on my desk at some point today...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 AM

Hey, I'm joining late this month. I just turned in the full draft of my dissertation, so now I have time to declutter again! : Because of spending the last 6 months writing my dissertation, I have a lot of stuff in my office to file and stacks of library books to return. As I posted last month, my office closet is a disaster (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/). It's the dumping ground for everything from office supplies to craft supplies. I'm going to get started on it today!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM

Yep, I'm totally failing this month. I don't really have any motivation to clean the desk area. I still want a computer armoire but can't seem to find any I like on Craigslist so this may be carried over to April.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 PM

So? How is every one doing? This thread has been pretty quiet for the past couple of days. I have a feeling that we all have spring fever and noone wants to clean up in their house. As for me I wasn't able to get the Armiore (sp?) the person I was getting it from decided that they wanted to get it appraised and try to sell it. So My plans have changed I've decided to try to hang some kind of shelving and make it look pretty. I'm going to Ikea on Wednesday to see if the As-is dept. has any good deals! Wish me luck!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

We're deep into the final stages of party preparations. The main party is tomorrow and the school party and family dinner are on Monday. Starting Tuesday, I can get back to the last few items on my list for the family office, then take pictures and share 'em. It'll all fall into place before month-end. :

Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 PM

I've been gone on a 3-day camp out with DD (Girl Scouts) so I've been quiet. Going to the furniture store tomorrow to peruse and maybe find some things. I bought a new frame but it's too small (blah) so I have to find a new one. Found curtains but they're out of stock, will try again tomorrow.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:44 PM

I spent last week working on the office closet on and off. I cleaned out a ton of stuff - 2 boxes of trash/recyclables/donations. Then I organized the office and craft supplies that I wanted to keep in there. I can now finally access the very back of the closet, where my artwork is stored. The shelves are somewhat neat...the problem is that none of the containers match and they are difference sizes and shapes. But at least I can see them and get to them without having to empty the whole closet first . I haven't taken pictures yet, but when I do, I'll post them.

DH and I have a ton of sentimental paper stuff, like old cards and artwork from our childhood that were cluttering up the closet. I wanted to scan all that stuff and throw away the paper copies. I started on that project and scanned DH's baby book (the poor thing was yellowing and falling apart from the acid paper). But this project was taking.for.ever! So I decided to neatly organize things in the meantime, until I can get to scanning things. I got an office file box for each of use and then organized the boxes by type and time period. Now, whenever I have a few minutes to scan things, I can do it easily because I know where everything is. Once I scan stuff, I'll toss it.

While the closet isn't perfect, I'm feeling much better about it and I hope that I can keep it relatively decluttered. I am constantly getting things out to work on and then putting them back...it's just a matter of making sure that things go back where they belong and not being lazy .

How is everyone else doing?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

WAY TO GO slsurface!!!! That sounds like a big job and something to be very proud of now that it is ready for the next phase.

I am 98% finished with our family office and am taking a break in order to treasure map. I'll finish my TM over the weekend sometime and then will finish the office before month-end. I have some pictures, but haven't downloaded them off the camera nor uploaded them to my Flickr account. By the 31st...

How is everyone else doing? This is a challenging room for most people I know. I think *any* progress is worth celebrating! So... CELEBRATE your successes!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:34 AM

We will be done today! We took a room filled with crap and furniture, emptied it, replaced the floor, painted, took out the old blinds and are just putting in the new furniture. So our old office is now our son's room!

We condensed the old office to one small desk and two shelves in our master bedroom now.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoury View Post
We will be done today! We took a room filled with crap and furniture, emptied it, replaced the floor, painted, took out the old blinds and are just putting in the new furniture. So our old office is now our son's room!

We condensed the old office to one small desk and two shelves in our master bedroom now.
Wow! That sounds like it was a major project! Awesome work!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:17 PM

okay, so it's the last day of the month and i'm sitting on the beach in florida with my family for spring break......which makes my house over 1000 miles away. clearly i'm not going to be finishing this challenge! LOL!

i'll be back on friday though, so maybe i can jump in next months challenge. best of luck to everyone getting finished though!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
Old 04-01-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
okay, so it's the last day of the month and i'm sitting on the beach in florida with my family for spring break......which makes my house over 1000 miles away. clearly i'm not going to be finishing this challenge! LOL!
I love it! You do have your priorities straight family over house... who cares about the silly old office when there is fun to be had with your loved ones!

now for me... let's see, I have 10 minures left of the last day and no I'm not done, but I got a good chunk of stuff done that I wanted to do. I got rid of some stuff which is good and I reorganized a little. I even painted the walls, a nice green color that was on the markdown that I bought back in Jan or Feb. i like the color, need to get the tape down off the edges tommorrow and put some things back on the bookjshelf. If this months challenge has taught me anything it is that you need to just keep up with things... I know this room isn't done but one of the biggest problems I have in the office is that i use stuff and don't put it back or that I write a bill but don't follow through with that next step of filing the paperwork... or hetting rid of the paperwork. I think with a different mindset I can keep the office a little more together than in the past! Okay now I have 7 minutes left... so I'm off of here, and going to go see if there is an April challenge up yet... see you guys then!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

I finally finished our family office!!!! : : :

You can see pictures. Whew! I wasn't sure I would EVER finish this room. There is just too much stuff in here... even now. However, with three people all USING this room for a variety of tasks, "stuff" is to be expected. DH had decluttered his stuff awhile ago. DD had help from both of us over several sessions. I was the slacker in this room. I got rid of a ton of stuff and had fun donating it to friends who do crafts with various groups. We still have some decorating finishing touches to do and those can wait. I've actually been crafting quite a bit in here this month and it is soooo nice to have a clear floor!!! :

I am also very proud to say our entire house has been decluttered, deep cleaned, and organized now. A lot has been thanks to these room challenges! I'll be taking a break in April since DD is off school for the entire month and we have a lot going on. Starting in May, though, I plan to continue another round in each room/area and this time focus mostly on the finishing touches. This will include a lot of sewing. I already have the fabric for the various projects, so it is just a matter of setting goals and working on the "project" basket a little at a time...

Best wishes to everyone!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 PM

I suck at these.

The only thing I got for my family room was my coffee table and a new throw blanket.

Gone but not fogotten.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:19 PM

anyone up for an April challenge?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 PM

I always am. I'm solely decorating, so mine are taking forever (way too picky). I'm down, though

Gone but not fogotten.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
I suck at these.
My thoughts exactly this month. I didn't get a darned thing done.

I'll sign up for April though and hopefully will have a more productive month!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 PM

me too me too, I'm in... since noone has started a new thread yet. i'll go do that now... what room shall we do? post over there with your ideas

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7#post13486557

User Tag List