March room challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you believe March begins on Sunday??? February sure is short.

I have one room left in our house to declutter, deep clean, and organize:

The Family Office

It is the final frontier for a serious, call-the-donation-place-for-a-pick-up area of our house. I am sooo excited to finish it up! :

Anyone want to join me?

Feel free to do a different room, if you prefer. Not everyone has an entire "office" anyway. Perhaps a desk somewhere in your house could use some TLC? Wherever you or your spouse/partner or children do paperwork, school work, work from home, etc is my idea...

I'll post "before" pictures before March 1. You can see my progress on February's room challenge on page 4 of that thread (in stickies). It has inspired me to finish our house!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#2 of 82 Old 02-27-2009, 04:15 PM

I'll join!

We don't have an office, but we do have an area upstairs where our computer desk is set up and it is generally a disaster. It could use some TLC next month.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#3 of 82 Old 02-27-2009, 04:29 PM

I'm doing an easy one - family room. It's clean, decluttered and organized but it could use a few things - window treatments, a coffee table, 2 new comfy chairs and I guess that's it. Maybe some more plants. This will motivate me to actually get those things! Oh, and I want to put up a new pic above the fireplace.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#4 of 82 Old 02-27-2009, 04:34 PM

I'm in! We have a home office so I'll do that. I'm almost finished with Feb challenge (our garage)... hopefully I'll get a chance to take some "after" pictures tomorrow so I can post.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#5 of 82 Old 02-27-2009, 07:03 PM

perfect for me, i've been trying to finish that room.
#6 of 82 Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yippee! Thanks for joining me! :

Ugh. I photographed our family office today. It is not pretty. It happens to look particularly bad right now because we recently added two pieces of furniture (Feb) and removed two (2008 sometime & Feb). All the stuff in those is on the floor and stuff from other rooms, but related to this room's function, have all been moved in here. The stuff from the furniture we removed back in 2008 has been in our bedroom. : As if that is not enough to throw a room into chaos , DD's birthday is coming up and we are making her invitations. They are all over DH's desk and he comes home from a business trip in a couple hours.

Click here to see what I got myself into and wish me luck! DD's party is being held at our house the third weekend in March, so I have a built-in deadline.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#7 of 82 Old 02-27-2009, 11:59 PM

In. *shudders at the current state of her office*

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#8 of 82 Old 02-28-2009, 05:52 AM

Argh, I'd love to do our "office" because it mostly consists of DH's papers all over the closet I'll see what I can convince him to let me do.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#9 of 82 Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 AM

I'm in. My "office" is a corner of our great room. It's bad. More later, gotta run. Actually I will take b4 pics.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#10 of 82 Old 02-28-2009, 11:30 AM

I'm gonna do our family room/office AND our bedroom. I'll get pics up later....the bedroom is quite astonishing, and not in a good way.

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#11 of 82 Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 PM

I'm finally going to join in on this one, I've been following these for months.

Last fall, we completely rearranged our house and I painted the office. We've gotten it mostly organized, new desks, etc. But dh's got a box of crap left and it seriously needs some curtains. I really think it'll take me all month to get curtains up. My son's bday is late March so I'd like to have this and a few other small projects done by then.

I'll have to dig up some before and progress pics.
#12 of 82 Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 PM

I'm in... office it will be, not the room that I really 'want' to do since ours is a complete disaster and I was hoping for an easy challenge but that's what this is all about - a challenge to motivate ourselves to get to the rooms we have been putting off for a while!

Actually it's not really that bad. I need to go through a bunch of paperwork, that's going to be the biggie. We just moved in December so all my books are still in boxes, will be nice to get them out, go through them and get rid of some. (I went through them before we moved and passed on a bunch but there is more that needs to go, was difficult emotionally to get rid of so many then, hopefully since they have been out of sight for a couple of months I'll be able to let go.)

I plan on taking 2 weeks off in March to just hang out with the boys while they are on Spring break from school. ... I know- I know - I stay at home as it is, but I'm always doing 'something' I need to take a break from day to day life and just enjoy life, enjoy the kids while they are still little. So there it is, from the 8th to the 21st I'll be on sebatical!

I'll get some pictures up - by Monday.
#13 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 01:28 AM

I'm in! I have a started office. I want to finish the room and finish moving everything out of the kitchen and guest room into it. I am also going to square away paper work as part of this plan.
#14 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 01:54 AM

I need this. Our office is a junk room and we need to clear it out to make it into a bedroom for our oldest. I keep putting it off. maybe you will all help me stay on track?
#15 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 02:12 AM

I'm in! I'm actually going to do my room, since this is my first month doing this. This is so sad, but my bedroom became the dumping ground for the house. I would get so busy that cleaning house meant running around to all the rooms that people could see, picking all the mess up and throwing it in my room and shutting the door. So, it's the messiest part of my house.
#16 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

If we cheer each other on, maybe we can all make it through these rooms???

DD & I spent most of the day making her party invitations in the family office, which made an even bigger mess. They are finished now and we put away all of those supplies. Whew! After dinner, DH helped me empty out the room or at least clear out all but one main project from the floor. WOW! The room looks tons better! Our bedroom sure looks like a craft explosion occurred, though.

I left all of my stamps (rubber, foam, clear) in the office on the floor. They used to be in the white rolling cart that moved downstairs to the project room in February. I have no idea what to do with them now. I wasn't crazy about the way they were organized because the storage wasn't shallow enough for easy viewing, but they are super organized (by theme and alphabetical with each theme). The three drawers that the rubber stamps are in belong in the cart downstairs, so I'd like to get those out soon. I'd like to keep them in the organization they are in, but find shallower or smaller or just more efficient storage for seeing and putting away. My foam stamps are overflowing their basket and cannot be seen easily, either, but are also very organized. My clear stamps get the most use BY FAR and are always a mess. Got any storage ideas??? I have a large cabinet in here now (from project room) and the shelves are about 13-14 inches square and I have seven of them (two fixed) or I could use the closet shelving and move something from there into the cabinet. DH & I were brainstorming ideas tonight, but we're both too tired to think straight...

#17 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 AM

I'm in, we don't have an office (I would love one!) but our family room houses the computer table so I'll do that room
#18 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 PM

i'm in! this is an easy one for me and after a disastrous feb. challenge of doing nothing, i'm ready to jump back in.

our "office" area is in one corner of our dining room, so i'll just do the whole room. we remodeled this room last year, so not a ton to do, but it's still not quite finished.

good luck everyone!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#19 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 01:05 PM

for the stamps, what about cookie sheets? or cake pans? you could stack them up on a shelf, wouldn't be closed storage which if they got knocked over... mess but they would be single layer so you could see them all (well all that was on that one tray)
#20 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 04:14 PM

I'm in! Our "office" is just a desk in the spare bedroom, but it could use dome attention. Nak

Kelly, wife to my wonderful DH , and mom to DS1 born 1/20/2008 and DS2 born 7/14/2010 by VBAC.
#21 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 04:55 PM

I think I'll join in
I will be working on our master bedroom/closet. It needs the most work, since it seems to be a catch-all for clutter and I also use a corner of my room for my study area. I can't wait to get it back in shape and looking great!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#22 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 PM

My computer desk/office area is fine, but I do want to join in and tackle my walk-in closet. It's not really terrible, but it's definitely the messiest spot in our house at the moment. I'm going to enlist DH's help seeing as how 90% of the junk is his.
#23 of 82 Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygrl View Post
I would get so busy that cleaning house meant running around to all the rooms that people could see, picking all the mess up and throwing it in my room and shutting the door. So, it's the messiest part of my house.
I'm the same way!

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#24 of 82 Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 PM

I'm in. Our 'office' (different from the 'library') is also our entertainment room, storage, and has some of my crafts. Currently we have three pieces of furniture in there: a futon: an entertainment center haphazardly piled with boxes, electronics, and office supplies: and a computer desk overburdened with a desktop computer which hasn't been hooked up.

Boxes and bags are piled against the walls, the futon has food on it, and there's everything from silverware to CD's on the floor. :

And DH wonders why none of his CD's/DVDs/Games plays right.
#25 of 82 Old 03-03-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultivatingMyRoots View Post
I'm in. Our 'office' (different from the 'library') is also our entertainment room, storage, and has some of my crafts. Currently we have three pieces of furniture in there: a futon: an entertainment center haphazardly piled with boxes, electronics, and office supplies: and a computer desk overburdened with a desktop computer which hasn't been hooked up.

Boxes and bags are piled against the walls, the futon has food on it, and there's everything from silverware to CD's on the floor. :

And DH wonders why none of his CD's/DVDs/Games plays right.
Oh my! Well, dig right in... you can do it!!!

#26 of 82 Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I found the perfect stamp storage yesterday! They are "project cases" meant for 11x14 paper (?) and it took 9 of them to contain most of my rubber and foam stamps. They are awesome and were what I consider very reasonably priced ($3.99 each) considering what they do and how they fill my needs perfectly! I'll share pictures later.

I am getting somewhere on this massive project finally!!!

How are you doing on your "office" (or "room") thus far? You can do it! Set a timer for 5 minutes and go sit in that room. Visualize it the way you would to see it. Do one thing before leaving the room. Try it a few times a day and see what can happen... Just an idea...... There are plenty of ways to get this project accomplished!

#27 of 82 Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 PM

I wasn't going to join because we don't have an office.But really it was just an excuse not to tackle the mess I know I need to.We have a big dresser in the dining room that holds what would be in an office.I started going through it but never finished.So here I go!I will finish!

I started with the over flow.Really the dresser is big enough.We don't need extra art supplies outside of the dresser.

So,I got rid of some of the stuff and moved the rest of it.Now it's a clear space!

I've started going through the drawers.Got rid of a huge pile of unused electronics.Old mouse,cords,etc.

#28 of 82 Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
I wasn't going to join because we don't have an office.But really it was just an excuse not to tackle the mess I know I need to.We have a big dresser in the dining room that holds what would be in an office.I started going through it but never finished.So here I go!I will finish!

I started with the over flow.Really the dresser is big enough.We don't need extra art supplies outside of the dresser.

So,I got rid of some of the stuff and moved the rest of it.Now it's a clear space!

I've started going through the drawers.Got rid of a huge pile of unused electronics.Old mouse,cords,etc.
WOO HOO!

We have that same wood rack from Ikea! Ours is in our "coat closet" under the jackets. It holds shoes, bike helmets, and "water" toys (beach & pool in separate bags). Where did yours go after you emptied it?

#29 of 82 Old 03-03-2009, 02:48 PM

Stickying by request, and MAN do I need this challenge. My desk is a disaster! :

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#30 of 82 Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM

I've started to look for computer armoires. Right now we have a borrowed computer desk, but there are no drawers on it at all so things pile up on the desk. I need some storage and would love to have doors to shut when we are not on the computer. The desk is in our upstairs hallways so I want it to look like a nice piece of furniture.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page