Feng Shui Declutter Workshop - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to Barnes and Noble today and found a great book in the bargain bin. This is a link to the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Declutter-Work...6134790&sr=8-2
So tomorrow I'm gonna start the book. It has challenges for each room with tips and things to look out for as well as step by step guidelines. After you finish each challenge you get to reward yourself with something for that room ( like a golden pothos for your office).
The first challenge is the entrance hall.
Anyone want to join in on the fun with me???? If so, I will post info on what to do with each challenge.

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#2 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 01:53 AM

Neat! Amazon had it for 50 cents so I ordered a copy. I'm totally up for challenges.. when it arrives

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#3 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 01:56 AM

Great find . I won't be joining you as I have to focus on specific areas right now, but it sounds like an inspiring way to tackle the house. Does she use the compass or Black Hat method?

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#4 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 02:49 AM

I'd be interested in what the challenges are. I'm working on the room a month challenge so depending on how fast you get through the book you may leave me behind but I'll try and keep up, working on 2 areas of the house will keep me on track better.

I don't have an 'entrance hall' the door opens up right into the living room but I consider the area right near there our 'entryway'
#5 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 02:54 AM

nak/sub

just ordered it

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#6 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
Great find . I won't be joining you as I have to focus on specific areas right now, but it sounds like an inspiring way to tackle the house. Does she use the compass or Black Hat method?
Oh geez, I have no clue. I don't know much about feng shui. The book does not seem to have much theoretical info on feng shui, just lots of practical applications.

490/2013

#7 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

First order of business...

Take a good look at your entryway. Assess the damage.

Is it inviting?
Are there a lot of shoes, coats, etc strewn about?
Magazines, newspapers, keys without a home?
Can chi enter freely???

490/2013

#8 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 PM

I'll join you!
my entryway is frustrating because it's non-existant. and half our little coat closet is now taken up by ds's bike now, since we have no outdoor storage options. Here I go...

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#9 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
Neat! Amazon had it for 50 cents so I ordered a copy. I'm totally up for challenges.. when it arrives
??? it says $9 when i look it up?
#10 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 08:12 PM

I worked today on the porch, had been given an old trunk back in coldest part of winter that I wanted to paint. It's now nice and bright and sitting right beside the door out there for the boys to store their outside toys in instead of bringing them in and leaving them right inside the door!
Now to see what I can do with the inside?

Check out the link in my siggy FSDW

Does the book give any tips or hints of things that should be near the entry?
#11 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
??? it says $9 when i look it up?
Yeah I bought a used copy, the cheapest they had was 50 cents but they had some for like 55 cents too.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#12 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 AM

I found a used copy for 3.99, so I went ahead and got it since it sounds awesome. It should be here in a week or so, and I'll get started with you!!!

:::

I *love* the idea of a decluttering buddy!

#13 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 AM

I feel bad that I'm too cheap to buy a book ... I'm going to wing it hopefully by not spending the money, gotta check at the library to see if they have it or can do an inner library loan for it!
#14 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 12:12 AM

Why do you feel bad about everyone ordering the book?

It's cheaper for me to do that than go to the library...in a convoluted sorta twisted logic kinda way

(methinks we've got a fine of about $15 at the library )

#15 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 AM

I'll edit that, I'm excited everyone is getting a book... I mean I feel bad that I'm not getting one if that makes sense, kinda like I'm going out to eat with you guys but not ordering a plate of my own food but asking the waitress to bring me a fork so I can eat off your plates.
#16 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
I'll edit that, I'm excited everyone is getting a book... I mean I feel bad that I'm not getting one if that makes sense, kinda like I'm going out to eat with you guys but not ordering a plate of my own food but asking the waitress to bring me a fork so I can eat off your plates.
So you seem to be indicating that might be a PROBLEM or something...cause ya know...some people don't see the issue :

LOLOL

I think the library is a GREAT idea BTW...and even if they don't have it we can post enough to help you stay on track w/us!!!

#17 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

It's ok if you don't buy the book because I'll be posting any information you need to participate. Going to bed now, see you all tomorrow!

490/2013

#18 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 01:52 AM

I would like to work on the financial area of the house to make sure were ready to recieve...any tips?
#19 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Things to look out for in the entryway:

strollers
shoes
work bags
coats
boxes of junk, etc

What to do:

Throw out obvious junk
Put a shoe rack

Regarding Pictures or paintings:

no sad, or frightening art
keep holiday pics for a short while only
display recent photos

490/2013

#20 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 12:18 PM

i would love to join but im pretty low on $ these days..so im not going to buy the book. ill check at my local library for it next time i go. we just went yesterday.

on the front hallway, ive been trying to work on this in my home already. i washed all of the walls the other day because with all of the winter comings and goings they were getting grungy. and all we have is a tiny landing so a coat tree & a few boots is all that is right there. we have stairs going up and going down from there and a big blank wall in two places. i recently got some beautiful old botanical prints of fern (my name is fern) so i plan to put them up around there to brighten things up. my upstairs closet at the top of the stairs is always a work in progress but i have just decluttered it, so its not at its worst.

looking firward to hearing how everyone is doing with this one.

are we sharing pictures?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#21 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamama View Post
I would like to work on the financial area of the house to make sure were ready to recieve...any tips?
me too! any help in that department would be great.

i know that one thing my books say is always keep the toilet seats closed when not in use. when they are left open, money gets "flushed away" i try to do that anyways in case baby decides to go for a swim or throw things in, but its a good reminder!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#22 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM

OK, well, in the theory of decluttering I of course checked the library for this. Of course, they don't have this book!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#23 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 PM

I'm going to install a couple of hooks in our coat closet so I can quickly hang up my jacket, Mine doesn't end up right in front off the door but further in the house.. but not put away, I find it time consuming to get a hanger down, hang the jacket on it and hang the hanger back up, so I'm hoping with a hook I can just qickly hang it and be done. The kids have a low hook for their jackets but I find they are not hanging theirs like they were, most likely because they are following my bad example.

I'm having a debate in my head... a clock... right as you walk through my door you will see a digital alarm clock on the table next to the couch. I like it there because it's easy to see from the porch and I can keep track of time for when there are kids over that need to be back home at a certain time, it's useful. But it's right there... I could go with a analog clock on the wall, but my boys are still learning to tell time and the digital is easier for them... Do I like it on the table? where it is at? kinda, sorta, not really.... I could move it to another place but then it would be harder to see... what to do? what to do?

green_momma2007 you also hit the nail on the head when you said holiday pictures... well I have a cabinet of tree ornaments that you see right when you walk in the house! I need to put them away!

I need to figure out something for shoes, I have the closet and an over the door holder for shoes and usually the shoes are put in that or on the floor in there but as spring nears and garden season is here shoes are more muddy and I don't want to track things in the house so I would like something outside on the porch that will hold the shoes... suggestions anyone?

I'm doing pictures because it's easier for me to take one, load it on the computer and then sit here and think about what I see only in that frame.

Another question... where do you keep your wallet/purse/bag? Do you keep it near the door or further into the house? We just moved to 'the city' from pretty rural so it just seems unsafe to me to keep my purse right there as you walk into the door. It's not like I'm keeping mine in the way back of the house in a safe or anything... but I don't want it near the door nor do I like it where it is at now, over a wood chair back in the living room
#24 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
I'm going to install a couple of hooks in our coat closet so I can quickly hang up my jacket, Mine doesn't end up right in front off the door but further in the house.. but not put away, I find it time consuming to get a hanger down, hang the jacket on it and hang the hanger back up, so I'm hoping with a hook I can just qickly hang it and be done. The kids have a low hook for their jackets but I find they are not hanging theirs like they were, most likely because they are following my bad example.
I notice the same thing! I hang my jacket, DD hangs hers (on hanger or hook). I leave my jacket out, DD leaves hers out. Monkey see, Monkey do???

Quote:
I'm having a debate in my head... a clock... right as you walk through my door you will see a digital alarm clock on the table next to the couch. I like it there because it's easy to see from the porch and I can keep track of time for when there are kids over that need to be back home at a certain time, it's useful. But it's right there... I could go with a analog clock on the wall, but my boys are still learning to tell time and the digital is easier for them... Do I like it on the table? where it is at? kinda, sorta, not really.... I could move it to another place but then it would be harder to see... what to do? what to do?
I love analog clocks! DH & DD both MUCH prefer digital. We have digital in our bedrooms and analog in the living room.

Quote:
I need to figure out something for shoes, I have the closet and an over the door holder for shoes and usually the shoes are put in that or on the floor in there but as spring nears and garden season is here shoes are more muddy and I don't want to track things in the house so I would like something outside on the porch that will hold the shoes... suggestions anyone?
I have seen closed plastic shoe storage at Ikea and other places. I wasn't interested, so I didn't pay that close attention. I vaguely recall three tilt-down doors that held the shoes. It was streamlined.

Quote:
Another question... where do you keep your wallet/purse/bag? Do you keep it near the door or further into the house? We just moved to 'the city' from pretty rural so it just seems unsafe to me to keep my purse right there as you walk into the door. It's not like I'm keeping mine in the way back of the house in a safe or anything... but I don't want it near the door nor do I like it where it is at now, over a wood chair back in the living room
Our entryway is literally 4 feet by 4 feet of raised white tile. The stairs are immediately in front of you when you walk in the door. The rest of the entryway is open to the living room. I use a bit of the living room for the entryway. We have a tall bookcase next to the door (off the raised tile) and I place my purse on one of those shelves. The bookcase is between the windows and the door on the same wall, so unless you are inside the house you cannot see my purse. It is tucked between the side of the bookcase and a wicker organizer where I keep keys and outgoing mail and coupons, etc. It doesn't really show much even when you are in the house, either, unless you are looking for it. Our "coat" closet is farther into our living room and I used to keep my purse there, hanging on an over-the-door hook. I moved all my "out of use" purses there. We rarely need coats/jackets here (mild climate), so it was a pain to always remember to get my purse before putting on my shoes. I don't take my purse everywhere since I walk several times a day and I prefer to keep shoes off the carpet. DH keeps his wallet and "stuff" farther in the house.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#25 of 40 Old 03-05-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
me too! any help in that department would be great.

i know that one thing my books say is always keep the toilet seats closed when not in use. when they are left open, money gets "flushed away" i try to do that anyways in case baby decides to go for a swim or throw things in, but its a good reminder!

Thanks! Lids down at iamamas house from now on
#26 of 40 Old 03-06-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I finally started cleaning the entrance hall. Wow, that floor was dirty. I'm going to put a shoe rack to gather all those shoes. I still don't know what to do with the stroller though. I use it all the time when I go down the hall to do laundry. So I think it will stay there for the time being. Here's the pic:
http://flickr.com/photos/13478937@N04/?saved=1
Any ideas on how I can spruce it up a little?
Maybe add a plant?

490/2013

#27 of 40 Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Regarding mirrors:
Remove any mirrors that are cracked or that distort.
Make sure that mirrors do not face the door (sends chi out the door).
Also, never have two mirrors facing each other.

Mail clutter:
Have a place for incoming mail, and throw out junk mail the minute it comes in!
Store menus in a folder.
Have a place for your keys and put them ther all the time, that way you are never left wondering were you last put them.

490/2013

#28 of 40 Old 03-07-2009, 12:26 PM

When I don't have the extra money to buy a book, and it's not at the library, I go read it at the book store. There are lots of places that let you sit and read. Then you can also take a pile of feng shui books and compare. or browse the bargain books. sometimes it's cheaper when you don't have to pay shipping.

That's interesting about the shoes in the entryway, since every asian house always has a ton of shoes at the door. I think the theory and the practice don't always match up.
#29 of 40 Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Cool idea, sounds fun & I think I may join in. (without this book, but I've got other feng shui books so I think I'll catch on to the ideas the challenges are getting at).

Our 'entry' is like 3x2 and crowded with an over used coat rack, two doors for the bookshelf I've never gotten around to putting on it. We keep shoes elsewhere just inside. I'll have to look over stuff.

On the plus side, just yesterday I tossed the old and dried holiday swag on the door in the compost.
#30 of 40 Old 03-07-2009, 03:06 PM

anyone want to throw out a guess why not 2 mirrors facing each other?

I wonder also if thay are not directly facing each other but more angled like you would see in a dressing room... what then okay or not okay?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page