15 Minute Sessions of Cleaning. Anyone else need to be held accountable? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2009, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK baby woke up as soon as I started but I managed to keep her happy in her high chair while I:

Did all the dishes in the sink
Swept the kitchen and family room
Cleaned the coffee table
Cleaned kitchen countertops

That was a successful 15 minutes!!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome Jokerama!

Today I have to do the following:

Before Work:
Make Bed.
Quick Wipe down of bathroom.
Put away hair styling aids. :-)

After work:
Supper and supper dishes. (With DH)
Sweep and mop kitchen, pantry and bathroom.
Put away laundry.
Scoop Litter box. (DH)
Vacuum. (DH)
Old 04-16-2009, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Before Work Tasks Completed!! ::

Be back later to do the After Work Tasks!!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:46 AM

I need to:

- Clean off kitchen island and counter tops
- Wipe down table
- Put away food that has been left out (cereal box, etc.)
- Pick up all toys
- Vaccume Living Room
- Dust

Going to set the timer for 20 minutes.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 PM

I didn't exactly stick to my list.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:57 AM

Today:
Laundry
Clean living room

I'm taking it easy today as I had a somewhat rough night at work and tonight will likely be rougher. I'm beat and need to go to sleep soon so I'm just going to do the bare minimum. I might even cheat and get my boys to clean up a bit in the living room.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need this group.

15 minute thingy a little while ago - I changed the bed sheets, folded some laundry, started a load and put one in the dryer. Tidying downstairs of the diningroom table.

HOW CAN I GET THE REST OF MY FAMILY TO BE MORE TIDY AND ORGANIZED?????
It's weird. I grew up in a household where both my parents were pretty organized and tidy (or at least I knew they *could* be). But my dh and dd1 don't do things like shut a drawer after they open it, or shut a cupboard after they open it. They both take things off and leave them RIGHT THERE where they put them. That's hard. I never grew up with people like that, we all put things back where they belonged most of the time. Sigh. Breathe..... let it go...... [thanks for letting me vent - any words of wisdom? it's just that it's stressful for me sometimes. Anyhow, that's not what this thread is for!]

To do more 15 min stuff - the upstairs bathroom toilet and sink needs attention.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 04-18-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
I need this group.

15 minute thingy a little while ago - I changed the bed sheets, folded some laundry, started a load and put one in the dryer. Tidying downstairs of the diningroom table.

HOW CAN I GET THE REST OF MY FAMILY TO BE MORE TIDY AND ORGANIZED?????
It's weird. I grew up in a household where both my parents were pretty organized and tidy (or at least I knew they *could* be). But my dh and dd1 don't do things like shut a drawer after they open it, or shut a cupboard after they open it. They both take things off and leave them RIGHT THERE where they put them. That's hard. I never grew up with people like that, we all put things back where they belonged most of the time. Sigh. Breathe..... let it go...... [thanks for letting me vent - any words of wisdom? it's just that it's stressful for me sometimes. Anyhow, that's not what this thread is for!]

To do more 15 min stuff - the upstairs bathroom toilet and sink needs attention.
Welcome to this thread! It's really good that you're so organized. At the very least, you're a good example for your family. There are many ways to get spouses and children involved in cleaning and organizing. You could start with one habit (like making their beds in the morning or closing cupboard doors, for example) and let them practice the habit for a few weeks before introducing another habit. You could make it fun. If they're successful, they can each pick a special activity that they want to do or a restaurant to eat at, etc.

I come from a family where my mom ran around picking up after us all day("us" being a husband and 7 daughters). As an adult, I left cupboard doors open, tossed my coat on the chair, kicked my shoes off in the middle of the floor (and left them there until there were so many pairs of shoes I could no longer walk--lol), and I was ALWAYS putting things down anywhere that was momentarily convenient. Sometimes I still do, but I'm more aware of that behavior these days.

Another idea: maybe you can make it a game and give each child (and/or your husband) a task that they can complete in fifteen minutes. That way they'll know it won't take a long time--so it won't seem as daunting. And then there can be immediate Family Fun Time--something like a special dinner, movie, a Saturday at the beach or even a board game. Just some ideas. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Poetry Lover No time to post now but I read your post - thank you.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

My first list:

Exercise
Cook supper
Wash and put away dishes
Pack lunches for tomorrow
Prepare tomorrow's coffee to brew
Make bed
Fold and put away laundry