Home decor for dummies? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Yes, that's what the designer was going for, a mission style look.
yes, but it's not mission style. period. regardless of what they were going for.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#32 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Ok- the outhouse wallpaper would look GREAT in an outhouse..

second, I LIKED the wood paneling, cool looking towel rack, and the lighted palm tree rocks- although I wouldn't put them all together obviously..

the room that had flowered couches that matched the wallpaper made me dizzy. How could someone live there without getting a headache every day?
#33 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
the room that had flowered couches that matched the wallpaper made me dizzy. How could someone live there without getting a headache every day?
i second that thought! it was really really terrible.

#34 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post
check out www.sproost.com - you can do their quiz multiple times and get new pictures every time to really figure out what type of style you're drawn to. i love that site.
interesting site. i took the quiz and here are my results......which aren't surprising at all since i know my taste well.

60% contemporary
20% arts & crafts
20% vintage modern

very cool! thanks for posting it.

#35 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
yes, but it's not mission style. period. regardless of what they were going for.
I don't know a whole heck of a lot about mission or arts and crafts, but I always thought they were usually darker woods. This furniture is solid hickory, and it's really beautifully constructed. It's not cheap either, so I'm trying to talk myself out of it.

Part of the reason I like it so much is that it seems to be kind of blank canvas furniture, you know? Like, 5-10 years from now, I could totally change the look of the room and the furniture would still work. I think I could change my room with just linens and paint with this furniture...not trendy, just classic. And for the price they're charging, it would have to last forever

Anyway, I'll stop thread jacking now Thank you for all the help!

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#36 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
I don't know a whole heck of a lot about mission or arts and crafts, but I always thought they were usually darker woods. This furniture is solid hickory, and it's really beautifully constructed. It's not cheap either, so I'm trying to talk myself out of it.

Part of the reason I like it so much is that it seems to be kind of blank canvas furniture, you know? Like, 5-10 years from now, I could totally change the look of the room and the furniture would still work. I think I could change my room with just linens and paint with this furniture...not trendy, just classic. And for the price they're charging, it would have to last forever

Anyway, I'll stop thread jacking now Thank you for all the help!

you're right, they rarely did anything with wood as light as what you posted.......using mostly oak. and regardless of what style or period the style comes from, if you really love it, then that's all that matters.

there is an eclectic mix of styles going on in that set. everything from the almost "sleigh" like shaped headboard to the curved shape of the mirror. the only elements that even hints at the arts & crafts period are the "window pane" trim and the iron hardware.

but given it's very jumbled nature, you would most definitely be able to morph it into whatever style you'd like if your tastes change down the road. something you'd have a hard time doing with true mission style furniture as it really doesn't lend itself well to other styles.

oh and don't fret about investing in good furniture! i know it seems expensive up front, but it will last for years and years.

#37 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 PM

the quiz says i'm
50% zen style
25% arts and craft
25% vintage modern

i am surprised at how much that fits me! i had never heard of zen style but it really does seem to fit me well. very cool site

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#38 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post

Thanks for this. I lost all evening and a lot of this morning looking at pictures on that site lol. Scary!!!
#39 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
check out www.sproost.com - you can do their quiz multiple times and get new pictures every time to really figure out what type of style you're drawn to. i love that site.

I was 100% Modern Elegance.
#40 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
okay, I took that quiz and got this "Hmm, that's odd
We couldn't identify your style based on the quiz results. Would you mind taking it again? Sorry, but we just want to be sure..." ... I pretty much hated everything I saw besides the stuff you're supposed to ignore (like windows, architectural features, color, etc...), it's not like I hate everything though, I love mission stye, and I absolutely *love* vicki's home! But I really hated the furniture and decor I saw at that site... I'm not liking it much more than the ugly site, honestly... pretty much everything I saw in those pics reminded me of stuff I saw at Ross (hate that store!) None of the stuff looked like it belonged together to me! I guess this is why I struggle with decor, lol, I have absolutely no style, apparently!... well, off to try again, maybe I will get better pictures....
#41 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 03:51 PM

ygle - i've gotten that message before too so i just did it again a few times. i usually come out w/traditional, nantucket (what's that??) and arts & crafts.
#42 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
ygle - i've gotten that message before too so i just did it again a few times. i usually come out w/traditional, nantucket (what's that??) and arts & crafts.
nantucket is a "beachy-cottage" style. like cape cod. lots of crisp whites and breezy blues with warm wood tones mixed in. earthy but beachy.

#43 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
nantucket is a "beachy-cottage" style. like cape cod. lots of crisp whites and breezy blues with warm wood tones mixed in. earthy but beachy.
weird. i don't like beachy at all. at least not what i think of as beachy. i like the nantucket architectural style, i think...but interior design, not as much i dont think.

maybe i should read more about it. i remember seeing a lot of wicker, though, which i HATE.
#44 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
i remember seeing a lot of wicker, though, which i HATE.
UGH, I LOATHE wicker. I do enjoy rattan, though.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#45 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
weird. i don't like beachy at all. at least not what i think of as beachy. i like the nantucket architectural style, i think...but interior design, not as much i dont think.

maybe i should read more about it. i remember seeing a lot of wicker, though, which i HATE.
nantucket style is an upscale beachy style. it mixes classic pieces with that coastal feel.....much like the architectural style. think natural materials of cottons and linens, comfy furniture, warm wood tones and textures like baskets, and colors on the muted palette......white, blues, greens, greys. actually, wicker is in the "cottage chic" style, so not the same thing....although that is really a personal preference for most people. nantucket style is really gorgeous when done right.

and i too hate wicker.

#46 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
nantucket style is an upscale beachy style. it mixes classic pieces with that coastal feel.....much like the architectural style. think natural materials of cottons and linens, comfy furniture, warm wood tones and textures like baskets, and colors on the muted palette......white, blues, greens, greys. actually, wicker is in the "cottage chic" style, so not the same thing....although that is really a personal preference for most people. nantucket style is really gorgeous when done right.

and i too hate wicker.
hm...i dunno, i like VERY dark wood. espresso or black. i hate light wood, actually. really bugs me. lol i do like very simple, clean lines though.

but i also love very very bold colors. purples, oranges, greens. but with a traditional backdrop, kwim? like a bright green wall with espresso furniture. and orange/purple pillows. HAHAHA

LOL what style is that?? LMAO
#47 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
hm...i dunno, i like VERY dark wood. espresso or black. i hate light wood, actually. really bugs me. lol i do like very simple, clean lines though.

but i also love very very bold colors. purples, oranges, greens. but with a traditional backdrop, kwim? like a bright green wall with espresso furniture. and orange/purple pillows. HAHAHA

LOL what style is that?? LMAO
sounds to me like you just like traditional (edging on more contemporary with the clean lines) style with a more artistic "i don't take my home too seriously" love for bold color. it doesn't really change your style, just your color palette.

traditional style can be very bright, bold and dramatic while at the same time achieving a clean-lined, functional space. there are some amazing geometric prints out there for upholstery, window treatments, or pillows that can help achieve that look as well, while still using traditional furniture pieces and in a traditional arrangement.

here are some perfect examples of traditional style done in bright bold colors:

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4 (this one is a bit more eclectic but most of the pieces are traditional done in more modern materials)

okay.....i'm not sure if that's helpful at all, but i hope so!

#48 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 12:56 PM

I love my wicker.. I spray paint it different colors all the time! I have a black one with blue and silver throw pillows on it that is a rocker in the family room (my theme in there is OLD Hollywood- I have Marilyn Monroe pictures and pillows and Fred Astaire, Greta Garbo, and Audrey Hepburn).. I have mirrored stars on the walls and two blue/silver futons..

I have standard wicker seating in my living room. I spray painted those ones gold and have red and gold pillows on them.. they fit in beautifully with my Asian/Bombay theme that is in there.. they are very versatile as I can rearrange them in different formations often..

I am 60% Asian, with a sprinkling of Modern Contemporary and Modern Elegance.. which makes COMPLETE sense to me.

Dh and I SO love a room that has that ONE unexpected piece in it.. like a zebra striped chair.. but I have always assumed that MOST of our taste is Asian/polynesian.. (Asian, but the more balmy side of it..)
#49 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
sounds to me like you just like traditional (edging on more contemporary with the clean lines) style with a more artistic "i don't take my home too seriously" love for bold color. it doesn't really change your style, just your color palette.

traditional style can be very bright, bold and dramatic while at the same time achieving a clean-lined, functional space. there are some amazing geometric prints out there for upholstery, window treatments, or pillows that can help achieve that look as well, while still using traditional furniture pieces and in a traditional arrangement.

here are some perfect examples of traditional style done in bright bold colors:

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4 (this one is a bit more eclectic but most of the pieces are traditional done in more modern materials)

okay.....i'm not sure if that's helpful at all, but i hope so!
yup, love them!!!

thank you!!!

i'm gonna go look for some more pics online for inspiration.
#50 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
yup, love them!!!

thank you!!!

i'm gonna go look for some more pics online for inspiration.
glad to help as this is what i "do" ! feel free to pm me if you have any other, more in depth, questions. i promise i won't charge you! lol!

#51 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
100% Nantucket. I agree. However, I do like Arts n Crafts in the pic VM9799 posted of the built in cabinet. And I love all things Wright.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page