Home decor for dummies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those who are expert declutterers/minimalists, what's your take on home decor? We hardly have anything on our walls. When we moved last year, I put a bunch of wall art and decorative touches out to stage the house, but haven't done a thing here. Frankly, I don't have the interior decorating "eye", don't have pieces that are meaningful to us, and don't like having more things to manage (dust/clean/care for).

What do you all do? Is anyone else out there with bare walls?

~ Lemur , mum to Mr. Fishy (5, ASD) and Froggy (3) ~
#2 of 51 Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 PM

our style is very modern and pretty minimalist anyway, but we have very little on our walls. I would rather see nothing than meaningless junk.

I bake, therefore I am.
#3 of 51 Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Banned

In our old place, we had a lot of stuff on the walls and I found it to be distracting. Now, we have only a few pieces here and there. I like it. I would love it even more if we had painted walls (which will come in time I'm sure) but for now, I do like the minimalist look of it.
#4 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 AM

Basic rule of thumb with wall decor is go less and bigger. Meaning one large piece is going to be a lot nicer and more visually "heavy" than a mash of small and clustered pics.

Above a fireplace, I enjoy one big piece. Maybe one or two pieces on the mantel. I like things anchored (not "floating" or at "eye level", but anchored down no further than 8" over a stationary object).

As for decorating:

What's your style - traditional, modern, country, eclectic?

How formal/casual are you?

Do you entertain a lot?

How active is your lifestyle?

Kids? Pets?

What colors do you like?

Start with the basics to see what you do like and, just as importantly, what you don't like.

Do you have pics?

Decorating is what I LOVE to do (for fun)!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#5 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 09:40 AM

well, i'm an interior designer, so totally bare walls throughout a home drive me batty. LOL! however, it really doesn't take tons of "tchotchkes" to make a house feel like a home. paint is the single least expensive thing you can do to a room for the most impact. are your walls painted or are they white? because that alone may help it feel more "decorated" to you.

my personal style is more on the modern/contemporary side with a dash of traditional/eclectic thrown in for warmth. there is nothing in my home that isn't meaningful to me or my family.....and i think that this is a really important step in the design/decorating process. nothing reads "generic" to a designer like someone rushing off to the store and purchasing the exact same room set up like the showroom floor. true design is a collection of items you love, purchased over a long period of time......or atleast "looks" that way.

you want to stay away from buying stuff to just fill a space. live with your empty space or bare walls and let the perfect items find you.

you are welcome to take a look at my home (which was NOT done on a normal interior design client's budget! lol! and it is not a showplace.....i LIVE here. )....... here are some photos:

kitchen (which we just remodeled in january)

living room (which is one of the last rooms to get redone to a more contemporary look.....hopefully this year!)

dining room (was remodeled last summer) computer desk area (with old chandelier)

master bedroom (was completely remodeled from the end of 2007 into spring 2008)..... sorry there's a lot of these!
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
pic 5

my adjoining studio space (i have a design business and an etsy shop)
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4

my 11 year old daughter's bedroom

okay, so if you got through all that then i applaud you! lol! please feel free to ask any questions as i'm always happy to help out in any way that i can!

ETA: i am a major "purger". i HATE clutter. there's a fine balance between stark and "homey" and you need to figure out what that balance is for you, as it's different for everyone.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#6 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 12:14 PM

I like to use blogs as inspiration. They are frequently updated and you can find some to suit no matter what style you like.
#7 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 01:15 PM

What I do is keep pictures of rooms that I admire. When I get the decorating bug I pull out my inspiration pictures and copy them. I am not a decorator either but my house does look nice.
Copycat, copycat!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#8 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 PM

vicki - your home is stunning. so so so inspirational. i think i'm gonna print out all your pictures.

man, if you lived anywhere near me i'd beg you to let me hire you and have you design every room in my house!

i think that's one of my biggest issues, the fact that i really hate the decor in our house. it's pretty bare except for some random crap that i don't really like. when we first moved in we didn't have much so i let my MIL sort of tchotchke it up with her very *country* tastes. which i hate. LMAO so i've since removed all of that stuff, but haven't replaced it with MY stuff yet. i hate the colors on our walls, i just look around and don't feel like it fits *us* even in any small way. it doesn't feel like home. and we've been here for almost 9 years!!!

wow, that's pathetic. *sigh*

anyway, i'm off to do some more decluttering. LOL
#9 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post
vicki - your home is stunning. so so so inspirational. i think i'm gonna print out all your pictures.

man, if you lived anywhere near me i'd beg you to let me hire you and have you design every room in my house!

i think that's one of my biggest issues, the fact that i really hate the decor in our house. it's pretty bare except for some random crap that i don't really like. when we first moved in we didn't have much so i let my MIL sort of tchotchke it up with her very *country* tastes. which i hate. LMAO so i've since removed all of that stuff, but haven't replaced it with MY stuff yet. i hate the colors on our walls, i just look around and don't feel like it fits *us* even in any small way. it doesn't feel like home. and we've been here for almost 9 years!!!

wow, that's pathetic. *sigh*

anyway, i'm off to do some more decluttering. LOL
aww, thank you! i would totally design your house too!

believe it or not, you are in very good company with people that hate their home decor. i really don't think that people truly understand how life changing it is to live in a beautiful space. it always takes a backseat and termed a "luxury" when in reality, it's so so important to be in a space that inspires us every day. people just don't seem to think they deserve it.

and let me tell you, you can turn ANY space into a beautiful space to be! you just need to find your style and surround yourself with colors/textures/accessories that make you smile to be there. so paint and furniture and things like art, etc.

and 9 years is ENTIRELY too long to not love your house!

#10 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 02:42 PM

I LOVE your house!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
well, i'm an interior designer, so totally bare walls throughout a home drive me batty. LOL! however, it really doesn't take tons of "tchotchkes" to make a house feel like a home. paint is the single least expensive thing you can do to a room for the most impact. are your walls painted or are they white? because that alone may help it feel more "decorated" to you.

my personal style is more on the modern/contemporary side with a dash of traditional/eclectic thrown in for warmth. there is nothing in my home that isn't meaningful to me or my family.....and i think that this is a really important step in the design/decorating process. nothing reads "generic" to a designer like someone rushing off to the store and purchasing the exact same room set up like the showroom floor. true design is a collection of items you love, purchased over a long period of time......or atleast "looks" that way.

you want to stay away from buying stuff to just fill a space. live with your empty space or bare walls and let the perfect items find you.

you are welcome to take a look at my home (which was NOT done on a normal interior design client's budget! lol! and it is not a showplace.....i LIVE here. )....... here are some photos:

kitchen (which we just remodeled in january)

living room (which is one of the last rooms to get redone to a more contemporary look.....hopefully this year!)

dining room (was remodeled last summer) computer desk area (with old chandelier)

master bedroom (was completely remodeled from the end of 2007 into spring 2008)..... sorry there's a lot of these!
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
pic 5

my adjoining studio space (i have a design business and an etsy shop)
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4

my 11 year old daughter's bedroom

okay, so if you got through all that then i applaud you! lol! please feel free to ask any questions as i'm always happy to help out in any way that i can!

ETA: i am a major "purger". i HATE clutter. there's a fine balance between stark and "homey" and you need to figure out what that balance is for you, as it's different for everyone.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#11 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I LOVE your house!!!
thank you!

#12 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 03:30 PM

I agree to paint.. it may take up a weekend, but then no more maintenence. And maybe some sort of creative painting.. do stripes or free-hand some leaves or shapes.. you don't have to be an artist to paint a wall.
I once did a room with nothing on the walls but paint, but visitors were always drawn to stare at the walls in that room. I did a solid color, then I took clear laquer (sp?) and did odd squares and rectangles that I created with painter's tape on the wall. From some angles, it looks solid, and other angles you start to see different shapes depending on how light hits it. Sorry no pic, I've since moved.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#13 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM

yeah, we picked out new paint (we're going more neutral b/c we hope to move w/in a year) and started but then stopped when morning sickness smacked me in the face. then every weekend was spent w/me working on my dissertation. now that that's over (finally) i'm about to give birth and have no energy anymore. that's basically 9 months gone.

oh well, onward and upward. LOL
#14 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I agree that paint changes a bare wall from being just 'bare' to a surface with life but that is still simple.

We can't paint our walls, so in our master brm we've hung some textiles that my parents brought back from India and Kenya. They are meaningful to us, though. We have a lot of artwork on our walls. All are originals and have significant meaning to us. I find them comforting for that reason, rather than distracting. If you come across something meaningful, then, I would recommend you put it up. But otherwise, I think paint is the best way to go.
#15 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 06:49 PM

I wanted to expand on Vicki's "don't run out and buy it" thought. Never buy something now just to have it now. Don't buy inferior junk just to fill a void. Save your money, plan, shop around until you find something perfect. It will actually save money in the long run.

What I stay away from:
  • Cheap/fake wood
  • Plastic anything
  • Pictures with fake matting
  • Fake plants (unless it's a necessity and they look real)
  • Inferior paint (price is NOT a distinguishing factor, Ralph Lauren paint is some of the crappiest out there)
  • Skimpy window treatments (I like at least 2x the width in fabric for fullness)
  • Low-quality rugs, any textile for that matter
  • small knick-knacks (again, I prefer one or two larger pieces to many smaller ones)

Here's what NOT to do!

Oh! And you should join in our monthly room challenges. They're great for ideas, inspiration and support!

Gone but not fogotten.
#16 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM

One thing I've started to notice, I don't know if this is helpful at all (and, oh my goodness I'm checking out that link SAHDS shared and those are truly horrible, yikes!), but it seems that the people I know that always seem to just have really nicely decorated homes versus those that don't is that it seems like the ones that do all seem to have some sort of 'theme'. Like one gal I'm always amazed by has always had a sort of a beach theme... the pictures and knick knacks all seem to be shells and water, fish, etc... and the colors all remind me of sand and the colors of a sunset on the beach. Over the years as I've seen old stuff leave and new stuff come in, it always looks good all together... even with people I know that have a theme I really don't like (one is a rustic farm look) I still find it beautiful, and then others will have stuff I love, but because they have such a mumble jumble it all looks chaotic and unpleasant. It really hit me when I noticed my girls seemed to stick to a basic color pattern and had very strong interests that they've kept over the years so people would buy them items that color or that theme and all their stuff just seems to work together and look nice.

My trouble is, I just don't know what I like... but I've tried recently to just pick a few colors for my wardrobe (starting simple) and so I weaned everything down to that and now I find it seems things just almost fall into my lap that I love and fit into that color scheme and my closet looks so nice and put together... so I'm really thinking if I just had a theme I could make the same happen in my home.
#17 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM

we have a very small house with many windows and it is sort or rural here so we have no need for curtains. the onlt wall decorations we have is drawing my son does. i need to get some nice frames for the drawings. we only have space for a few drawings at a time but he is only 16 months old and has not done many drawings yet

i really like having very little decoration and i like having white walls so that when i do put something up the color pops out!

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#18 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post

OMG that link is HORRIBLE! LOL! i just sat here laughing out loud and my family looked at me like i was nuts!

#19 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Ygle - even if you don't pick a 'theme' (which, tbh, doesn't thrill me to have one), colors will work just as well.

In my house, I picked navy blue with cranberry accents (and, obviously, there are whites, black and browns). That way, like you said, everything flows and feels cohesive. I can take something from one room and pull it into another and it still works. It feels peaceful to me.

And Vicki, isn't it atrocious? I feel so bad to laugh, but how can I not?

Gone but not fogotten.
#20 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 PM

LMAO my favorite is the room with the creepy ho' doll!! HAHA
#21 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are the best! I am getting a lot of great ideas and love the less is more theme.

I'm such a rabid purger that I have a hard time seeing decorative touches as much more than "future trash/donation". On the other hand, my husband and I both agree that staging the house really did make it feel more like a home. It's hard to strike a balance between being decluttered and making a house a home.

Please keep the ideas coming!

~ Lemur , mum to Mr. Fishy (5, ASD) and Froggy (3) ~
#22 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 PM

My problem is, I don't know what my style is! I've tried to figure it out, but no cigar. I could sit down with a stack of decorating magazines and find something in each that I really like, you know? I try to tell myself that I like a certain style, but then find myself yearning for another. I have a fear of commitment, I guess

So how does one discover personal style? I could use this help in all areas of my life, frankly. I am so completely devoid of style, and recently I have decided to try to fix that. Mostly it's because my husband has been out of work, and we've been so broke, but that's changing very soon. It's rather exciting.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#23 of 51 Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
My problem is, I don't know what my style is! I've tried to figure it out, but no cigar. I could sit down with a stack of decorating magazines and find something in each that I really like, you know? I try to tell myself that I like a certain style, but then find myself yearning for another. I have a fear of commitment, I guess

So how does one discover personal style? I could use this help in all areas of my life, frankly. I am so completely devoid of style, and recently I have decided to try to fix that. Mostly it's because my husband has been out of work, and we've been so broke, but that's changing very soon. It's rather exciting.
it sounds to me like you have an eclectic style since you are drawn to different design styles....which is great! in your case i would just buy what you love and it will all come together in a very natural way. this doesn't mean buy every little thing that you like, just buy the pieces that you LOVE. does that make sense?

you need to keep the 5 design principals in mind...which are: line, color, texture, mass, and form. by keeping these in mind when putting your room together, your eclectic look will be unified and not look like a jumbled mess.

it's helpful to ground your space with some neutrals as well to help balance out any crazy mix of colors on pieces.

okay, just some food for thought as i head to bed.

#24 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:

OMG that link is HORRIBLE! LOL! i just sat here laughing out loud and my family looked at me like i was nuts!
OMG those were the most awful things I have seen.. skeeery that people live in those houses lol.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#25 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
My problem is, I don't know what my style is! I've tried to figure it out, but no cigar. I could sit down with a stack of decorating magazines and find something in each that I really like, you know? I try to tell myself that I like a certain style, but then find myself yearning for another. I have a fear of commitment, I guess.
Yep, definitely eclectic. If you stick with your basic colors, it'll tie it all together.

As Vicki said, I think keeping the basics of decorating in mind is the most important, everything else will fall into place.

Gone but not fogotten.
#26 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 AM

check out www.sproost.com - you can do their quiz multiple times and get new pictures every time to really figure out what type of style you're drawn to. i love that site.
#27 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 10:08 AM

Cool site! It told me I like mountain lodge, wine country, and Arts and Crafts

Which is so true, I never thought about combining them before. Check out this bedroom set we're getting ready to buy...it's the single largest purchase I've ever made (besides a car) and I'm a little weak in the knees thinking about it. What style would you call it?

http://www.a-america.com/Default.aspx?tabid=378

this is so much fun. Thank you for the help!

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#28 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 01:17 PM

IncaMama - nice link. It's hilarious because I've always called my decorating style "formal country" and I came away with "traditional country" (w/wine country style, which I'm not that crazy about) which is right on.

mesa - it's "mission style" furniture. It's clean, "arts & crafts" style and it can be used in any style of decorating. Your tastes, I think, are eclectic so it can work with almost anything.

Gone but not fogotten.
#29 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
IncaMama mesa - it's "mission style" furniture. It's clean, "arts & crafts" style and it can be used in any style of decorating. Your tastes, I think, are eclectic so it can work with almost anything.

sorry, that's not mission style. maybe a bit of arts & crafts, but only a few elements. i do think that that is what the furniture makers were going for, but it's a jumble of styles actually. with the shape of the headboard and the style of nightstand and the mirror. mission style (and arts & crafts) are very specific in line and form.....and this is not it.

this is a true mission style bedroom set (well, a modern version anyway).....

http://www.homeplacefurn.com/shop/images/cb_412.jpeg

and this is true arts and crafts style.....
http://heirloomcustom.com/wp-content...av-cabinet.jpg

in any case mesa, if you love it then get it!

#30 of 51 Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
sorry, that's not mission style. maybe a bit of arts & crafts, but only a few elements. i do think that that is what the furniture makers were going for, but it's a jumble of styles actually. with the shape of the headboard and the style of nightstand and the mirror. mission style (and arts & crafts) are very specific in line and form.....and this is not it.
Yes, that's what the designer was going for, a mission style look.

Gone but not fogotten.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page