Mothering Forum banner

Dolls, dolls, and more dolls - and other toy questions

840 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  amj'smommy 
#1 ·
My DD is 3.5 and adores baby dolls. She has over 20 dolls right now and loves them all equally, to the point that she would be heartbroken if I got rid of any of them. She plays with all of them every single day. Right now I have them in a huge Rubbermaid container that's sort of hidden in her room (it's on the other side of her bed by the wall), but I'd really like a more attractive way to store them. Do you have any cute ideas for storing a LOT of baby dolls?

Also, my 20-month-old RARELY plays with toys. His favorite "toys" are his older brother's Wii golf club and his sister's costume jewelry. Yet he has a huge toybox full of cute age-appropriate toys. Would you just wait and see if he starts playing with them more, or would you toss them? Keep in mind that he's definitely going to be getting lots more toys for his birthday in July.

And one more question: My 7.5-year-old has really outgrown toys all together, but he has this crazy attachment to a lot of them that he NEVER even looks at. They are all underneath his bed (he has a captain's bed with storage underneath), and it's all crammed so tight down there that he can't even see the toys. He probably hasn't played with any of it in 3 or 4 months, maybe longer. Would you just get rid of this stuff against his wishes? It's such a hard decision, because I want to be a minimalist family, but not at the expense of my children's feelings, you know? WWYD?

See less See more
#3 ·
DD1 LOVES baby dolls as well. Shes very attached to hers as well. Right now I have them in a wooden box with a hinged lid. She can open and close the box easily but its out of the way (and looks kind of cute) when shes not playing with the dolls. Or, you could get a baby doll crib (they are like 20 or so to get a cute wooden one) and have all the dolls in there when they aren't being played with.

For the 20 month old, could you go through and weed out like half of them. Keeping some just in case he wants to play with them. Then when hes birthday comes around you can get rid of the rest.

I don't like getting rid of someone elses stuff. To me, if someone got rid of something that I loved I would feel betrayed and hurt. I wouldn't want my children to feel like that (and I know you wouldn't either- Im not trying to say you would want it) Could you sit down with him and explain that you want him to go through and get rid of some of it. Maybe have him go through with you and take them to a shelter to donate to the children so he can see how happy the toys make the other children? Maybe an incentive to get rid of them?

#4 ·
For the dolls, what came to mind was floating wall shelves, maybe set above her bed, but not too high to be unreachable.. Then they would be displayed, since she adores them, instead of hidden, but they would have a place, and also not be taking up space in storage on the floor.

For the little guy who won't notice.. I say donate it all; as you know, toys will always keep coming...

For the big dude who is attached.. I would talk to him about the toys, pointing out how he still doesn't use them, and perhaps he would like to think about giving some away to kids who may need some toys... also if he has a hobby or something he's into now, tell him how he could use that new found space for his x supplies or whatever storage. Then ask him to take all the toys out, really think about which ones he could live w/o, which ones he definately wants to keep, and have him make the goodbye pile. Maybe he won't pick much, but you may be surprised! I did this with my son and was amazed at how many toys he chose to get rid of on his own.

It may not work, but at least it is his call, and maybe he will get a taste for decluttering. Maybe even have him come with you to donate the toys he chose to give away; another lesson in itself!

#6 ·
we have some of DD's dolls on our built-in shelves in the family/play room. there are others that are sitting in her doll high chair, or doll cradle, doll shopping cart, etc...but they don't feel overwhelming at all, really. she probably has about 15 dolls/stuffed toys that she (like your DD) loves immensely.

as for your 20mo, i'd put 1/2 in a container for later, save it there for a few months and if he never asks for 'em donate them.

as for your 7.5yo, i'd ask him if he'd be willing to put some of them in storage. or if he'd be willing to donate them to families who don't have many toys, etc. we've done that with our 5yo DS and he's very willling to part with things once we explain that it will be going to little ones who aren't as fortunate as we are. though, granted, for many many kids that ain't gonna fly.
: and honestly, DS *says* it's ok (he said this recently) but we have yet to aictually put it into effect. we have about 30% of his toys in boxes to be sold/donated/put away for a while but haven't actually gotten them out of the living space yet. he still isn't playing with them and still says he's ok to see them go, but you never know until the moment actually comes, kwim?

good luck!

#7 ·
With your older son, I'd see if he would be willing to sell them to you, knowing you plan on donating them to whichever charity, etc. If he sounds interested, work out it that he would get enough cash to buy himself a new game or something like that (the total being between $30 -60). Or have a yard sale and let him try to sell them. He might find himself a lot less sentimental if he has a goal.

#8 ·
I have the same problem with my DS, except it's trucks/cars instead of dolls. And yegads most of them are these ugly plastic contraptions. I tried replacing them with nice wooden ones. As a result, he has some nice wooden ones AND the plastic hideous ones. If even one goes "missing" (cough cough) he is distraught.
So, no advice for you there. We can't even store them since they are in constant use all the time. He spends his days going from one to another. He even took his plastic bus to sleep with him tonight. Le sigh.

#9 ·
Frankly, I'd get a container and tell him to fill it with what he can't live without. Six months later I'd do the same... but hand him a smaller container. Sneaky? Maybe. Then he is master of his stuff, but concedes that some of it has to go. And I'd not waffle on it. But then again, my girls are allowed ONE doll. (Now, their one doll is VERY special to them, but, still, ONE. And I think it also insures that they take very good care of her.)

#10 ·
definately cull the 20m old toys while he's still young that way he's not going to miss anything and start now w/ not bringing anything new into the house unless something goes
For your older dc it's going to be a bit harder but I like pp's suggestion of seeing if your 7.5 yr old wants to sell some items... maybe a yardsale or through craiglist or even donating to goodwill. Also as hard as it may be 20 dolls is really too many IMO. I would watch her for her definate favorites and slowly take away a few (not donating just yet but putting somewhere she can't find them) till she's down to a reasonable amt. Also if you haven't already you need to have a talk w/ family about over influx of toys if you really want to move to minimalist lifestyle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.