Dear person who's trying to sell their home, - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 03-16-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please pick the dirty towels up from the floor of the bathroom before you take pictures to post on the internet.

Yours Sincerely,
Not Enthused By Your House

PS: I'd advise you to open the shower curtain before taking photos but from the look of the rest of the room maybe it's better off hidden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM

We're house hunting and If our locations weren't so far apart I'd assume we'd looked at the same house hehehe. Towels on the floor were the least of the offences I've seen really... try a LARGE pile of laundry (with upturned basket on top) just dumped ont he floor in the corner, and a picture *specifically* taken of it to post on the internet? : I wanted to make an enquiry to the agent asking if the pile of laundry was included in the sale price

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#3 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Oh god, you wouldn't believe some of the things DH and I saw while house hunting a couple years ago! : We looked at hundreds of houses online and actually visited 50 or more before finding our current house. Some people don't even pick up the mess when the know a stranger is coming over to look at their house! One of the grossest things I saw was a petrified brownie left on a stairway shelf...it was coated in a layer of dust and grime . DH and I practically ran screaming from that house! Other homes had 12 years of grease coating the wall behind the stovetop. Some didn't bother sweeping up mounds of dog/cat hair or hiding the roach motels and ant bait in every room. :Puke I could go on and on, but I'll spare you .
#4 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Oh, man. House hunting is seriously eye opening in regards to how other people live, isn't it? We aren't hunting at this moment but were, and will be again soon, and I have yelled at the computer screen because of crappy photos. I really don't need a close up of your dirty, outdated oven hood. What I really want is a photo of the entire kitchen. I don't need a picture of the mirror in the bathroom. Show me the whole room! Pointless photos are so annoying and frustrating.
#5 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM

This just totally makes me scratch my head especially in this market. I would never buy a house like that. If that is how they let visitors see their house then I do not have high hopes in the quality of care that the house has had during their ownership.
#6 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 PM

When we looked at our current house it was clean but so cluttered full of stuff that we couldn't see the good points. Our agent saw what was underneath the ugly carpet, wallpaper and clutter and advised us to make an offer. We were the first folks to make one and the house had been on the market for months.
Sometimes it's good if the house looks like crap if it's structurally sound. It gives you leverage as a buyer.
OTOH, the sellers may not be that committed to selling.
#7 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 03:31 PM

Ppl like that have no clue how awful their living space looks. My parents are like that. They have a nice house underneath it all... if only ppl will be able to get past the crazy clutter they have and how it makes THEM look like they are mentally unsound. I dread the day that they will have to sell their house and have a feeling that it will be after they pass away and *I* will have to deal with it. It's one of those situations where I would literally just get two big dumpters pulled up to the driveway and throw EVERYTHING in the house away...
#8 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 03:36 PM

omgosh that is one of our biggest complaints as well...oh and the pointless pictures that show you nothing about the house. Literally we saw tons and tons of listings that just had pictures of the bathroom mirror or say 1 closet yet had no pictures of the bedrooms or even say the "big backyard" they advertised.
#9 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
When we looked at our current house it was clean but so cluttered full of stuff that we couldn't see the good points. Our agent saw what was underneath the ugly carpet, wallpaper and clutter and advised us to make an offer. We were the first folks to make one and the house had been on the market for months.
Sometimes it's good if the house looks like crap if it's structurally sound. It gives you leverage as a buyer.
Our house was stuffed high w stuff. Also some crazy home repair. It was on the market for months than over a year or so. We watched it for 10 mos and then came in w an offer. My realtor saw it when it came thru her office and the listing agent made the seller declutter and clean it up. She talked us into seeing it again. We love taking it apart and putting it back together and we LOVE our new neighborhood.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#10 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Ppl like that have no clue how awful their living space looks. My parents are like that. They have a nice house underneath it all... if only ppl will be able to get past the crazy clutter they have and how it makes THEM look like they are mentally unsound. I dread the day that they will have to sell their house and have a feeling that it will be after they pass away and *I* will have to deal with it. It's one of those situations where I would literally just get two big dumpters pulled up to the driveway and throw EVERYTHING in the house away...
But you'd think the realtor would say something, wouldn't you?

Quote:
there's a new house just been listed that is appallingly decorated. Four different kinds of wallpaper in each room, five items of bric a brac on every flat surface. I'll bet we'll be able to make a lowball offer on it in six months. And make them buy us a steamer for the wallpaper

Quote:
luv-my-boys omgosh that is one of our biggest complaints as well...oh and the pointless pictures that show you nothing about the house. Literally we saw tons and tons of listings that just had pictures of the bathroom mirror or say 1 closet yet had no pictures of the bedrooms or even say the "big backyard" they advertised.
Today 01:31 PM
or one listing with five pictures of the outside front of the house and none of any of the bedrooms.
#11 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalynn View Post
This just totally makes me scratch my head especially in this market. I would never buy a house like that. If that is how they let visitors see their house then I do not have high hopes in the quality of care that the house has had during their ownership.
THAT is it in a nutshell isn't it. If the place is that feral, chances are they haven't done a lick of preventative maintenance since the day they moved in

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
omgosh that is one of our biggest complaints as well...oh and the pointless pictures that show you nothing about the house. Literally we saw tons and tons of listings that just had pictures of the bathroom mirror or say 1 closet yet had no pictures of the bedrooms or even say the "big backyard" they advertised.
Here a popular thing is to show LOADS of pics of the local area... like the park down the road etc etc. Those are things I could see doing a drive by on my own tyvm. Show me THE HOUSE dammit. And these are houses less than 5yrs old in a VERY nice reasonably new development, so the houses should be in good shape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post

there's a new house just been listed that is appallingly decorated. Four different kinds of wallpaper in each room, five items of bric a brac on every flat surface. I'll bet we'll be able to make a lowball offer on it in six months. And make them buy us a steamer for the wallpaper
THe realtor probably took the pics, and you are right, it amazes me they'll even sign a contract to sell a house like that! I wouldn't as a realtor, not without making them take a snow shovel and scrape that crap into a skip bin! and @ steamer... that'd be amusing hehehe

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#12 of 58 Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
You'd be surprised. My own mom was a real estate agent (yes and her place looks like a dump), and she had some really difficult clients who would NOT listen to her. She recommended to one client, that they replace the carpet in their house (three kids and a dog that was not totally potty trained...). She told her to pick something neutral. Like beige. The client re-carpeted the ENTIRE house in PINK!!! My mom was pissed! There were other houses in the neighborhood that sold sooner and the client got PO'd at my mom (and my mom wanted to tell her, well YOU picked the pink carpet!). When my mom finally sold the house for them, she left a rose in a vase at their house as a congratulatory thing and the client complained that my mom was cheap and should have left an entire bouquet of roses... So, the point is, that some ppl, regardless of what they are told by their real estate agent will just do whatever they want to do, even if it's stupid. My mom had another client who insisted on frying FISH before an open house. You can only imagine how thrilled my mom was with having to show a smelly house...
#13 of 58 Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 AM

One of the places I went to see had dirty underwear and socks tossed on the bedroom floor, unmade bed, open closet with stuff spilling out - and we had made an appointment ahead of time, so it's not like they had no warning. From the signs of it the rest of the house was maintained just as badly.

The house we bought (not the one above!) was very dark, all the curtains were closed and some windows even had double curtains. Between that and the outdated decor it was on the market for a long time for this area - we've actually often wondered if it was because the agent didn't advise them to change it, or if they refused.
#14 of 58 Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 AM

Wow! I clean my house ad nauseum for house showings!!!!
#15 of 58 Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 PM

In reading all of this, I am just thinking of having to deal with my IL's house some day after they die (or hoping that we don't have to ).
#16 of 58 Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM

I have thought that too! Do the people that do that not have any knowledge of selling or marketing anything at all? Who would want to buy something messy and dirty -- at least create the illusion that it is clean!
#17 of 58 Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM

One house that we passed on had a whole medicine cabinet full of USED q-tips
#18 of 58 Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 PM

Might not be their fault 100%. Our agent wanted to take pictures the day we signed on with her and we had to tell her to wait to list the house for a week so we could clean the house.

But, um they really should've taken the 20 seconds to clear that out no matter who was taking the pictures.
#19 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnowacinski View Post
One house that we passed on had a whole medicine cabinet full of USED q-tips

Yep that's pretty gross. You never know how some people live. And when you find out,its shocking! I'm both amazed and appalled when I watch that show Clean House. I saw one episode the other day where the parents had not slept in their bed in 2 years b/c the room was trashed....really?
#20 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 01:13 PM

it goes both ways though. Our house is on the market and we get all sorts of people looking in our windows and wandering around our yard, it's very creepy for a SAHM to have people on my property and the pictures on the listing are clear that we still live here. Make an appointment people!

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#21 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM

This is one of my biggest pet peeves! Our neighbor on the block behind us listed her house right after her husband passed away, nearly a year ago. The house is in quite a state of disrepair (neither of them has been able to fix things or afford a contractor for a long time) and being sold "as is." Still, they could take nicer photos!
#22 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaMom View Post
it goes both ways though. Our house is on the market and we get all sorts of people looking in our windows and wandering around our yard, it's very creepy for a SAHM to have people on my property and the pictures on the listing are clear that we still live here. Make an appointment people!
Yes that DOES suck as well. We live in rental homes and at the last place we lived I was sitting drinking a cup of coffee after finally getting the baby to sleep and there's a knock at the door. When I answer it there's a lady standing there saying she saw our house for sale on realestate.com and wanted to know if she could come in and look around!?! Um.. NO!:

The real kicker is we had not even been INFORMED that the house was for sale... I hit that site and there it was. OMG did the agent get an earful!

#23 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 PM

I was house hunting this morning online and some of the things that people display are just crazy. Magnets ALL over the fridge, food boxes ALL over the kitchen. Just really, really cluttered and you couldn't see the kitchen or the house itself for what it was worth.

I can't wait until we can start purging and getting rid of stuff before we put our house on the market in May. It's going to make a HUGE difference.
#24 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 PM

My mom is a real estate agent, you can't imagine the amount of tidying up she has to do when she goes to take photos. And people were amazed I sold my house last year in 30 days - probably not in small part to the fact that the place was completely spotless for every single showing. Heck, I'd make sure the sinks were shiny!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#25 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 PM

wow, reading this I feel so much better about my dirty house right now
at least I dont have a cabinet full of old qtips :
#26 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasaru View Post
I really think that if the realtor had had more sense than to take pictures of disheveled rooms full of the detritus of an old man's last illness, our neighbor would have had at least an offer by now. What is the realtor thinking? Doesn't he WANT to sell the house?

Weird.
Some agents do keep a few old, disrepaired properties on their books, so they can show them to prospective buyers before they show the "better" houses. Makes the higher value house look so much better in comparison, KWIM?

I also wonder if the people living in the poorly presented houses are tenents, rather than the owners, and therefor are les likely to care if the house is sold or not.

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#27 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
wow, reading this I feel so much better about my dirty house right now
at least I dont have a cabinet full of old qtips :
me neither, flylady would be proud of us.
#28 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 PM

I so totally can relate! We've moved 5 times in 10 years. I have looked at so many photos online and so many houses in person.

The last agent we listed with had a professional come photograph the house.

During our last search it became a hobby of mine to look for the worst interior house photographs. It is quite amazing how either the photo itself is horrible or the house itself is in such bad condtion that it should never have been photographed.

We certainly saw a lot of dirty and/or weird houses when we went house hunting. The *grossest* was a very very filthy house (dirty dishes overflowing sink, unmade beds, stuff spilling out of closests) including an attached garage that had been used for a dog pooping place (e.g. instead of allowing the dogs outside in the yard) for at least a month without bothering to clean up the poop. It was beyond disgusting.

When I see such a house I would *never* buy it - if you can't make your bed when you are trying to sell your house why would I think that you'd take care of more important structural issues with your house?
#29 of 58 Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom told me about someone inquiring about listing their home with her, and when she arrived, a path had been cleared through the junk to create a path and to open doors.
She told them that unless they cleaned, she was not listing their house. They went with someone else.
It sat on the market for 2 YEARS!

Whenever we moved, the dishes were put into the dishwasher after each meal and it was run. It wasn't always full, but there were never dirty dishes. Beds were made as soon as we got out of them, bathrooms were cleaned as soon as we were finished using them (wiping spots of mirror, water of counter, stuff in sink), and the floor was vac-ed every morning.

I don't think we ever had a house on the market longer than 2 months.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#30 of 58 Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
My mom told me about someone inquiring about listing their home with her, and when she arrived, a path had been cleared through the junk to create a path and to open doors.
She told them that unless they cleaned, she was not listing their house. They went with someone else.
It sat on the market for 2 YEARS!

Whenever we moved, the dishes were put into the dishwasher after each meal and it was run. It wasn't always full, but there were never dirty dishes. Beds were made as soon as we got out of them, bathrooms were cleaned as soon as we were finished using them (wiping spots of mirror, water of counter, stuff in sink), and the floor was vac-ed every morning.

I don't think we ever had a house on the market longer than 2 months.
Next time, put a 30 minute notice on it. That's enough time for flush and wipes, plus you look extra-nice when they call up and ask if they can come by in 15minutes instead and you say "no problem!"

User Tag List